Author Topic: Computer Help & Tech Support  (Read 41400 times)

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
Re: Java Problems
« Reply #75 on: November 8, 2003, 10:09 PM »
Things just arent working. I guess it isnt necessarily Java, but all of the problems so far have been related to Java...
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 9, 2003, 04:10 AM »
ok, well the first thing i could tell you to try would be to go to this site:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

and download the newest version of the java runtime environment (jre) for windows (i'm just assuming you're using windows of course) - it will be the in the "Download J2SE v 1.4.2_02" section. you want to download and install the file that says "jre" - not the "sdk" as that is the software development kit... that won't do anything for you. install that and then check back with some of those sites and see if you are still having trouble. let me know what happens - good luck  ;D

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 9, 2003, 11:39 AM »
Awe CRAP!

Someone at Rebelscum suggested installing Microsoft Java Virtual Machine. I did that, and it fixed the Java problem with Cartoon Network, but the Submit Button problems with netscape weren't fixed, nor was the Custom Star Wars site. So, I installed the above, it didnt fix anything, and now the Cartoon Network thing doesnt work, even after I uninstalled the above, and reinstalled MSJVM. ARG!

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 9, 2003, 12:45 PM »
My suggestion:  Throw your computer out the window, go buy another one, and start all over again!  Much easier.   ;)

Good luck Wookiee!

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 9, 2003, 03:07 PM »
Oh Im definately at that level, trust me. This thing has been crappin out on me for some time now.

I would just format it and start anew, but my satellite internet was total hell to get working, and it took a few months to tweak it just right, and I dont want to go through all of it again. If I could find another ISP, I'd just wipe out the comp and start over...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 9, 2003, 08:30 PM »
sorry

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 9, 2003, 10:25 PM »
LOL! Dont be sorry man, its not your fault my computer sucks butt....

I finally managed to fix it, on the Netscape side. It's a proxy related problem. My satellite has some issues with proxy. The DirecWay software thinks proxy has to be used, but it doesnt, and the connection doesnt work right if you choose it. But if you disable it completely, it doesnt work either. So you have to convince the DirecWay software that proxy is enabled, but convince the browsers that it is disabled. Yeah, thats it :)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Microsoft/HP XP Help
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2003, 11:32 PM »
Since I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and since HP people don't seem to see the problem I'm experincing through my emails I guess I will try to see if any of you people can help me.
Long Story:

A few weeks ago back in Sept/October my HP Pravillion 7965 had a probelm after I decided to do a system restore.  I ended up having an "Unmountable Boot Error" Message.  I emailed HP about it and there sent me a Recovery Console CD (Without Instructions).  I emailed them again and asked for instructions and got them.  I been trying to get it to work but was having trouble getting one of the steps to work: Getting the prompt to be C:\Windows and then being ask to enter a password.  I just got it to finally get to this step today and finsihed with the other steps but nothing seemed to be fixed with my computer, I got alot of missing files while windows was starting up.  I then decide to re do it but when I get to the step of entering the password it states that my password is invalid (I just been hitting enter since I don't have a password on my computer) and it reboots my computer which causes me to have to go through all this again.  
I emailed HP again afterwards and they tell me that Recovery Console can't enter a password (Which it did somehow) and give me steps on how to fix my on going problems by using safe mode.  The only problem with this is I can't get in even in safemode so I can't go through the steps that I have to delete the password.    The rep. also states that the RC cd will help an error message "lsass.exe" that I get yet I can't run the chkdsk /r since I can't get in a C:\ pompt since it only gives the option of picking a number (to choose which OS I wish to repair) and then asks for my admistration password, which I don't have.  
If any of you have any help I will really appeciate it.
Thanks

Offline DrunkJedi

• Youngling
    • View Profile
Re: Microsoft/HP XP Help
« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2003, 10:08 PM »
The joy of pre-installed XP.

Unless you can get your hands on a really good admin password retriever, your pretty much outta luck on the current install (which means a format/reinstall)

I'm having a similar problem with PCs at work. Nobody knows the admin password for the XP machines in my classroom and I have one that is pretty much a really heavy paper weight. CD-ROM drive won't recognize any CD unless it is booted into XP, and ignores boot floppy disks (yes it is configured to search A:, CD-ROM:, C:) so there is nothing I can do with it at the moment. The other 2 XP machines I did have to do a full format and reinstall everything because nobody knows the admin pass
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 10:16 PM by DrunkJedi »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Help converting Quicktime files to Media Player
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2003, 01:15 PM »
Anyone out there no how to covert Quicktime files to Media Player files?  I have a ton of different codecs but cant seem to find the patch for this one.  Anyone?  Thanks in advance.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
strange goings-on
« Reply #85 on: January 19, 2004, 09:43 PM »
i seem to be having some strange things going on with my pc... i just reformatted my hard drive and installed windows xp media center edition. i upgraded from windows 2000.

a) i can't seem to turn my pc off. not that i shut it off all that much, but when i click the shut down icon, it just restarts.

b) animated icons (such as my avatar) are not animating in internet explorer.

i've done some searching through google looking for some answers, but can't seem to find any information about how to fix what i'm dealing with... anybody have these same problems? how did you fix them?

**edit - ok, never mind that first one, i went back to google and did a little more searching and think i found the problem. now, about that damn dancing stormtrooper...

**another edit - looks like the "fix" did more damage than good... now i just get a blue screen of death before rebooting  :-\  :'(
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 10:27 PM by jokabofe »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: strange goings-on
« Reply #86 on: January 19, 2004, 10:22 PM »
Dont know if this will work or not, but try going to:

Tools

Internet Options

Advanced

Under Multimedia, see if "Play Animation in Web Pages" is checked.

Maybe that will work?

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 19, 2004, 10:26 PM »
yeah, that was the first thing i checked but it was already turned on...

and it looks like the page i found that told me how to get my pc to turn off properly just screwed it up even more... now i get a blue screen of death when i try to turn it off, and then when i turn it off manually it just reboots...  :-\

Online Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Never upgrade! Fresh install. That is all I know about this specific problem. Can't think what else it could be...

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2004, 10:27 PM »
Well if you really want to turn it off, open the case and just start pulling on anything you can get your hands on ;)