Author Topic: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design  (Read 42587 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: The Ultimate Group Project - Concept art and Overall Design
« Reply #180 on: January 21, 2007, 02:50 AM »
Well, I think a lot of it depends on the stability of the table.  Personally, I've had very few problems with figures falling over too much in my collection, and even with kids running in and out of the room.  I have about 2500 figures on display, and the most that ever fall over are a handfew, and it's usually just Battle Droids or the occassional figure.  So... I'd say not to glue them on, though I can understand a desire to maybe do that.

As for the height, I say make this thing about the same height as a typical dinner table?

No matter what, this is going to be a learning experience for all involved!

We might want to put a few nice signs up that say "PICTURES ARE ALLOWED, BUT PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH"

;)

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 21, 2007, 06:36 PM »
the "pics allowed but please no touching" sign is a great idea. on th etable hieght, mabey a tad below average person waist high. just so people gan have the birds eye advantage and make it a bit easier for shorter people and kids....
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 21, 2007, 07:33 PM »
With my experience at c3 with Niub's workshop,  Having the area cordoned off worked very well. As for standing up figs, I was the one who glued most of thos stormtroopers in the Emperor's arrival Diorama. It was a lot of work and would have like to do something more creative. I would suggest some sort of stand/peg that is embeded in the floor of the dio

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #183 on: January 21, 2007, 08:37 PM »
In my terrain sample I made back in October/September I had pegs embedded in the floor. It worked pretty well.
"This is the way."

Offline jedistyle

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 21, 2007, 10:40 PM »
with the layout of the terraon we may not be able to glue/attatch pegs in the floor, if we use those rool out landscape pieces. will clear stands work? i have about 100 of those i'd be able to put in there? they may show a bit, but would work well.....
=jEdIsTyLe=
---------------------------------------------------------
" The first soap was made from the ashes of hero's, with out pain, with out sacrifice, we would have nothing."

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 21, 2007, 11:40 PM »
I think clear stands are the way to go.  I don't think it would be too distracting.

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2007, 07:54 AM »
why not use the stands but have them protrude from under the terrain material

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2007, 04:29 PM »
They can definitely be imbedded in - but I think it depends on who is working on the landscape area... I can see them being needed in the landscape section, but if we go with tiles for the actual city area, do you guys really think that the figures will be falling over all that much without them?  I'm pretty much against the idea of glueing the figures down though, but I guess once on site whoever is there might need to make an executive decision.

Another option for the "tiled" areas is a tacky substance that can be put on the bottom of the feet of the figures, but doesn't stick like glue.  It's used to hang posters all the time, and might work out fine.

One othere thing - how many figures do you guys think we want to have represented?  I'm afraid of it being over-crowded...

Just as an estimate, here's a rough number of figure types I think it should have (take into account this is just a rough number) -

Stormtroopers - 50 or so - all the new VOTC/SAGA2 Sandtrooper style

Rebels - 15-20 - we do want them to be outnumbered I would think

Citizens - 75 or so - and to be honest, here's where we need to pick up on customs I think

;)

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2007, 06:46 PM »
A solution for flat surfaces would be to use a smigen of that gummy glue. You know the kind from kinder garden with the bottom that twists. and the cylinder extens? I used it for my collection on the shelf and it's not verry permanent yet povides a bit of tack.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2007, 07:26 PM »
Personally, I'd rather not glue figures down.  If people want their figures returned or even raffled off, it will be difficult if they are stuck down too much.  I'd be in favor of the poster sticking stuff.  As far as figures actually falling over, it really depends on the individual figures.  Some stand great while others always need a bunch of posing (my ROTS Pilot Obi Wan comes to mind - great articulation but I can't get it to stand straight at all!)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #190 on: January 23, 2007, 02:23 AM »
I can safely say, as I think Ryan did as well, that figures were prone to falling over at the FFURG booth due to table bumps...  It happened a number of times, so some thought should definitely go into it...  ******* the bases ala SW Miniatures would help disguise bases, if that's a concern.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline patreektherodian

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 23, 2007, 07:39 AM »
My thought is not exactly glue, It give just enough tack to keep the fig balanced.

Offline Smartypants1635

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • Sith empire
« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2007, 07:29 PM »
I got glue stick on a action figure when i was little and it made the paint fade, cause it was on there for a while, and i didnt notice :-[ I dont think it would be a great idea

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 25, 2007, 12:28 AM »
Hey guys, brainstorming here a bit to try and make the buildings a little more feasible.

What if... we make the city area a little more like Mos Eisley?  With adobe type buildings (all painted different shades of gray) and mix in Imperial technology/buildings?

Something like this for reference -

But purely Imperial style.

Thoughts?

;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2007, 12:36 AM »
Some additional food for thought to that idea...  The "stone fleck" paint you can buy can make an interesting look to buildings...  There's a greenstone that's pretty freaky.  Would be an interesting twist to the look of buildings like that.

Just something for consideration.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77