Author Topic: Andor (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 12310 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Andor (Disney+)
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2022, 11:59 PM »
I wonder if there is a different team working on Andor vs. Mandalorian, etc.  The worlds in Andor seem a lot richer, the scenes seem more full, and the city environments seem much grittier.  Very cool through three episodes.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2022, 09:23 AM »
The worlds in Andor seem a lot richer, the scenes seem more full, and the city environments seem much grittier.

Andor did not use "The Volume" aka Stagecraft - it was shot at real world locations and sound stages at Pinewood.  It definitely gives the show a different look/feel than the other Disney+ SW shows. 

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/star-wars-andor-doesnt-use-volume-says-tony-gilroy-exclusive/
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2022, 10:37 AM »
Thanks Jeff.

I think the volume is cool, but maybe it has limitations, or maybe the programmers just aren't good enough yet to have real depth to their scenery. 

Either way Andor's sets and scenery look amazing.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2022, 02:39 PM »
Not sure if we need to put "spoilers" in the thread subject.  I think enough days have passed to start a discussion of the episodes released on Wednesday.

Spoilers possible.

Overall I really liked the three episodes as a whole, and I'm glad they released them all together as it really took three episodes to get things properly set up and rolling.

Anything that I didn't like is really nit picking and style choices.  Maybe they could have spent a little less time on Cassian's backstory as a kid on the mining planet Kenari.  Maybe they got a little too cute with the new droid B2EMO (like they usually do).  But damn, I thought it was all mostly fantastic.

Things I liked:
- The character development with Cassian, Bix (female lead), Cassian's mom, Syril the mining police deputy, and Rael the rebel agent all felt good.  They've kept the cast fairly tight and the side stories to a minimum to keep the plot fairly focused so far.
- I like that none of the characters (so far) are overly tied in to the main Star Wars saga story.  Nobody is somebodies relative.  Nobody is force sensitive.  Nobody is royalty that matters.  Easter eggs and cameos can be fun, but they can be pretty annoying sometimes too.
- The motivations are simple and pure.  Cassian is a hustler looking for his sister and doesn't like the Empire, and has gotten in over his head.  Syril is puritanical in his role as security deputy.  Nothing overly complex or convoluted like BoBF where you really don't understand why Boba is doing half the stuff he is.
- I mentioned it before, but the depth of the scenery and shots are fantastic.  It feels so much richer than any of the other shows using The Volume.  I like The Volume and that it allows them to shoot on a smaller budget that makes financial sense, so I'm not going to bash it much, but Andor feels more immersive.
- I'm still not clear on the relationship and history between Cassian and Bix, but you can tell they like(d) each other and I like the tension and ambiguity so far.
- I like that maybe this show is grittier and targeting an older audience.  So far no Skittles speeder bike gangs, etc.  Cassian and all the characters know the world they live in and have to be fairly ruthless about the decisions they make (e.g. kill the second guard in the first episode to get away more cleanly even though he posed no physical risk).

I don't know if its Tony Gilroy (writer and showrunner) that has changed things up a bit, but maybe they need a little less Dave Filoni and crew and they need a little more Gilroy in some of these series.  Either way, I'm really looking forward to where this series goes every Wednesday.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
Re: Andor (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2022, 08:14 AM »
Kind of a slower paced episode this week setting up future events with some new characters introduced.  My kids were bored, but I'm hopeful its all important stuff.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2022, 02:51 PM »
I thought Lucen was going to be a member of the Senate.  Pleasantly surprised with his role in the rebellion.  Interesting to glimpse a little more into Mon Mothma’s life.  Never knew she was married.

Solid, albeit slow, episode.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2022, 05:51 PM »
I was very optimistic heading into it, but the first three didn’t really wow me I have to say. It was all good, but it just didn’t feel very “Star Warsy” to me somehow. Very few aliens, very human centric. I felt like I couldn’t wait for them to get off Ferrix and leave those bleak characters behind. I loved the stuff with him on Kenari though, guessing he will return there at some point in a flashback and figure out what went on with the sister.

Last night’s episode was just terrific though I thought. This is exactly the kind of stuff I was excited to see, the inner workings of the Empire, the birth of the rebellion, etc. Luthen and Mon Mothma scene was just riveting. Glad we finally know who Vel Sartha is now too.

Thought the old maester from GoT was awesome in his role. Quintessential Imperial. The girl reminded me a little too much of Rae Sloane, but we’ll see.

Mostly though, I just really, really hope that scene with Syril slinking home to his mom is the last we ever see of him. Would be the perfect ignominious ending for that douchenozzle.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2022, 06:51 PM »
Loved the GoT guy. His roasts were smooth.

I actually felt bad for Syril after thinking how much of a prick he was in the beginning. Over zealous but, from his pov, he was just trying to do his job.

The dude playing Lucen is fantastic. Different faces.

Anyone watch Doctor Who? There is a character named Strax. The seargent reminds me of him.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2022, 08:51 AM »
One nit-pick from this week's episode is Cassian serving in the Imperial military during the battle of Mimban.  Can't there be other planets and other battles that we haven't heard about before in the giant galaxy?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2022, 04:47 PM »
Wondering if the new person Mon Mothma wants to bring into the fold is Leia.  ???
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #55 on: October 1, 2022, 09:29 AM »
Wondering if the new person Mon Mothma wants to bring into the fold is Leia.  ???

This is going on at the same point in the timeline as Rebels.  Leila is already part of the rebellion.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 4, 2022, 12:30 PM »
I hope its someone other than Leia.  Winter (from the comics) would be kind of fun, but I hope its an all new character.  New characters create a total unknown - you have no idea their backstory or if they're going to survive the episode or the series. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 4, 2022, 04:49 PM »
I have to say that the overall aesthetic is very gritty.  This is the used universe to the Nth degree. It looked underworld without beating you over the head with it.   And Ferrix seemed a good deal like Bracca - a ship breaking world, kind of like these seaside towns in India where cargo ships are driven ashore in order to be scrapped. 

This most recent episode was doing a fair amount of place setting.  Luthen seems pretty no nonsense when dealing with Cassian and Vel.  And the deception he plays with the antiquities storefront seems like an excellent cover.  He can scour the galaxy in search of relics for his shop.   And the number of Easter Eggs there is ludicrous!

One thing that’s taken me out of the series?  The really pronounced Scottish accent from Sgt Linus Mosk of Corporate Security.  Between that and one of the actor’s previous roles in “Chernobyl” (coincidentally also with Stellan Skarsgaard), he’s kind of distracting.  Because you can’t unsee those Chernobyl scenes.  Ugh. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 7, 2022, 11:29 AM »
Another slightly slow episode, but the tension is building.  I hope the heist comes soon and that its not the entire plot of this series.  I'm assuming there is more since we've got Mon Mothma, and the failed security officer side stories that must play a role in a larger story.

I'm interested to see what happens with the Mon Mothma story line, and feel this could be a series by itself.  What is going on with her relationship with her husband?  He seems to be a loyalist and they've gotten to the point where they seem to open despise each other.  There must be a reason they're still together where their power and influence is enabled. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 7, 2022, 12:25 PM »
Yeah, I liked the name drops that were supposed to be guests at the dinner.  Would have been interesting to see how they would look in Andor.

It would also be nice to see Chandrila on the screen, too, but I don't know if there's enough room in the show (current season) for it.