Author Topic: Gentle Giant Bust Ups!  (Read 127397 times)

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
Re: Bust Ups!
« Reply #375 on: March 1, 2005, 01:04 AM »
Anyone preoder the BH wave yet?  If so, where and how much?
I also have some extra Vaders and Maul.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #376 on: March 1, 2005, 02:51 AM »
OK, so now GG is going the way of their larger Bust line, and of Hasbro's now ridiculous Silver figures.  As if the freaking holographic/clear/GITD/Spirit of Bust-ups weren't getting bad enough.  Now they're taking it one step further...  So right after the Blackhole Stormie fiasco they turn around and hit us with this Silver figure ****.  Man, that's it.  I'm done with these lame (non-movie) variants.  My completism can be taken advantage of only so much before cracking, and if you want to bend me over like this, you better at least have many years of collecting history with me first (like Hasbro does).

What's ironic, is that I'm pretty sure I read in someone's Toy Fair coverage (RS, I think), that GG was going to be scaling way back on the variant/chase Bust-ups, 'cause they were starting to get a pretty negative reaction to them (I think mostly all the Holographic crap).

BTW, as we discussed a while back, there were TWO different Bobe Fett Bust-ups shown at Comic Con last year.  Anyone have a picture of the one that's apparently not going to be available now, which lost out in favor of this Silver crap?  I can't recall now what that one looked like...  Sucks that we won't be getting it now, but hopefully GG spits it back out at us at some point in the future.  I don't mind the alternate (movie) pose variants at all - in fact, they're kinda cool, and fun to collect.  It's just all this other nonsense that's starting to push me over the edge.   >:(

BTW...thanks for all the great info and feedback for a long time "lurker" who's loves those "Other" collectibles!

Our pleasure, Juvy.  Just stop by (and post ;)) more often, ya' big lurker!   :P

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #377 on: March 1, 2005, 09:33 AM »
BTW, as we discussed a while back, there were TWO different Bobe Fett Bust-ups shown at Comic Con last year. Anyone have a picture of the one that's apparently not going to be available now, which lost out in favor of this Silver crap? I can't recall now what that one looked like...

Here was the picture of the 2nd Fett from SDCC:

Fett #2

Nick said that it was only a scaled down version of the Boba Mini-Bust...

From speaking to the Gentle Giant people in Chicago, they said that the Boba Fett that is just a sized down version of the original mini-bust may not be part of the line.  It might have only been a display piece, and nothing more.

:)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 1, 2005, 10:36 AM »
Juvy = Jim.  Yes, another one.  I've traded with him many times and have had lots of great conversations with him over on snowtroopers via pm.  It would be great if he'd post more on here. 

So right after the Blackhole Stormie fiasco ...
Fiasco?  What fiasco? :-*

The silver Fett is ugly, but I'll take it.  I sprung for the GITD set last night to get myself up to reasonably complete (missing two of the black hole stormies, but I'm not chasing those).  As for ordering the BH series, I think I'll be going with AFX given their nice selection they sent people for the Sith set.  I'm in no hurry though, and may watch ebay as well for a complete set. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 1, 2005, 02:18 PM »
BTW, as we discussed a while back, there were TWO different Bobe Fett Bust-ups shown at Comic Con last year. Anyone have a picture of the one that's apparently not going to be available now, which lost out in favor of this Silver crap? I can't recall now what that one looked like...

Here was the picture of the 2nd Fett from SDCC:

Fett #2

Nick said that it was only a scaled down version of the Boba Mini-Bust...

From speaking to the Gentle Giant people in Chicago, they said that the Boba Fett that is just a sized down version of the original mini-bust may not be part of the line.  It might have only been a display piece, and nothing more.

:)

Talked to Gentle Giant about this again at Toy Fair.  Once again, they reconfirmed that it was only a display piece based on the Boba Fett mini-bust, not part of the line.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #380 on: March 1, 2005, 08:35 PM »
That bites.  That Boba was (obviously) way sweet looking.  Instead, they give us a Silver rehash.  Gee, thanks.

Can't wait 'til they start delving into an all-new neon pink line of variants.  Yep.

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 3, 2005, 02:09 PM »
Saw the BH wave last night at Frank & Sons.  They're going for $5 a piece.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 3, 2005, 02:16 PM »
Saw the BH wave last night at Frank & Sons.  They're going for $5 a piece.

What's a 'Frank & Sons'?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JayDouble

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Let The Wookie Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 3, 2005, 06:41 PM »
Sorry, forgot to clarify.  F&S is a local trade show that goes on every Wednesday and Saturday in So Cal.  My post was more for the BH wave is out, sorry. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 4, 2005, 10:02 PM »
I know this is going backwards in time a bit, but I wanted to post regarding my case of bust ups series 2 - Sith.  I ordered a case, way back when, because I didn't want to risk missing out on a Vader chase.  I didn't realize they would be quite so cheap at the time, so I doubt I'll order another case of 24, but there is some insight to be had from what I did, so I thought I'd share. 

The box is attractive, but unspectacular.  Can't quite make it out in the picture, but on the front to the left of Star Wars is a small Gentle Giant logo.  To the right is an Imperial symbol in red that says Series 2 on it.  On both sides a picture of the Death Star appears, so it's actually a neat display piece but you have to offset it to see the detail on the sides.

You can see they aren't nearly so Kubrickian in their sealing of boxes.  Just a single piece of tape across the front, easily cut to get into the box. 

I don't recall what the case breakdown was supposed to be precisely.  EE never posted it, but at one time SWS.com had.  I was concerned at some point because I was wondering how many stormtrooper sets to buy (I ended up getting five sets total, but it worked out to be worth it thanks to my black hole stormtrooper :-*)  This is what is actually in the case:

Stormtrooper x6
Sidious x2
Palpatine x2
Royal Guard x2
Darth Maul x2
Darth Vader x2

If you look at the picture, from top to bottom starting on the left the columns were as follows:
1. stormtrooper x4
2. Sidious x2, stormtrooper x2
3. Dooku x2, royal guard x2
4. Vader (fist) x1, Vader (open hand) x1, Maul (saber to side, no teeth), Maul (saber in front, grinning)
5. Vader (fist) x1, Vader (open hand) x1, Maul (saber side, no teeth), Maul (saber front, grinning)
6. Vader (fist) x1, Vader (open hand) x1, Maul (saber side, no teeth), Maul (saber front, grinning)

Vader fist is on the left, Vader open hand on the right.

Maul no teeth on the left, Maul grinning on the right; saber positions are obvious.

So, if you order a case, you get three of each of Vader and Maul.  That would help explain why chuckles and jaydouble and JesseVader did so well with AFX - it's a dead even split. 

It looks like it's intended too.  The boxes are typically taped with a single piece of tape and that was the case for the stormies, Dooku, Sidious and the royal guard.  But some of the Vaders and Mauls were clearly taped twice, presumably because they had to be opened to verify which version was being put in.  This would go even further to explain why ebay hasn't had a clear winner for either variant and why they remain cheap - because they are common as dirt. 

I seem to recall RS posting about a third Maul variant.  My guess would be that there is no such thing.  Some enterprising individual probably just did a head swap to give the appearance of a third.  You could technically make four by switching the heads.  Now that would be obsessive. 

I am moderately pleased with the quality of these.  I've only assembled the two Maul and two Vader busts so far.  Vader is a very nice piece (both) but they both tend to lean a little forward due to the positioning/sculpting of the base.  That's a nit pick and situating them higher on a shelf would make it look much better.  Vader's head doesn't fit quite as nicely as I'd like though.  Otherwise both nice pieces. 

Maul goes together quite well but where the sculpt loses it a bit is at the shoulders.  The version with the saber in front is actually about as good as they could get it, but the other version has a big, horking gap with the left arm that looks funny.  Again, I might be over critical here, but I do expect more from GG. 

One big knock I have on these is how the sabers go together.  You know how the Hasbro sabers are with separate hilt and blade?  Ayup, same crap here and I see huge potential for breakage.  The posts on the blades are even thinner than Hasbro's stuff, so let's say they shouldn't be handled much.  I would have liked to have seen much better execution on these and I'm willing to bet GG will get more than a few requests for replacements due to breakage.  Their customer service is very responsive, but I think they'll get more than a little tired of that complaint. 

Gotta open the rest now. 
« Last Edit: March 4, 2005, 10:19 PM by Morgbug »

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 4, 2005, 11:39 PM »

Great review Brent.  I was pleased with my case of 12 because I was assured to get all of the variants.  However, the 12 boxes were simply packed in a generic cardboard box, nothing at all like that great case you got.  Kind of a neat bonus you got there.

This is what is actually in the case:

Stormtrooper x6
Sidious x2
Palpatine x2
Royal Guard x2
Darth Maul x2
Darth Vader x2

I assume you actually mean DM x6 and DV x6?

One big knock I have on these is how the sabers go together...

I have to agree there.  The sabers do fit fairly well, but I'm curious to see if they will sag at the joints over time because of those thin posts.  On the other hand, I've found that Series 2 is leaps and bounds better than Series 1 when it comes to the pieces fitting well.  My Han and Chewie have a number of gaps - the plastic is so hard and there is no give to allow the pieces to join smoothly.  It was my biggest criticism of the line and nearly kept me from collecting it.  I'm glad to say that things have improved vastly.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 5, 2005, 12:36 AM »
Bad math, yeah, pardon me.  6 maul, 6 vader.

And I agree, the construction has improved.  Series 1 was not that great, my 3PO is awful.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 5, 2005, 11:44 AM »
Is that a spider-man alarm clock there next to that box?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Sithbaker

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Krackbrick Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 5, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Diamond is shipping out Series 3 this week, should be in comic shops and such by Wed.

Adam
Adam

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: March 9, 2005, 11:47 PM »
Right you were.

I picked up Bossk, 4-lom, Zuckuss, and Boba Fett today.

I wasn't sure which was fett an which was jango, because they both had fire and thats all i saw in the little windows. But the bottoms of the box open up and it is easy to figure out who is who.

I hope everyone finds these, they are incredible.