Author Topic: Big Items of the Future!  (Read 212115 times)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
Re: Big Items of the Future!
« Reply #675 on: July 14, 2019, 04:37 PM »
I also think Hasbro could have saved themselves some headaches by just coming right out and saying definitively early on that the next project would 100% for sure NOT be Star Wars. Even the most thick headed fan boys would have gotten the message.

The thing is, I am sure Steve Evans was saying exactly that last summer--that it definitely was not going to be a Star Wars project next time. That was what I understood, anyways. ???

In my head, HasLab projects have been pitched for the past 18 months by every team in Hasbro to their powers-that-be, and this is the first one that looked like it was worth investing the (admittedly meager) upfront costs to pay off.

(On the same track, I speculate Star Wars got lucky with Mark Bordeaux's passion for the stuff and he did a lot of upfront design work "for fun" without compensation.)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 04:39 PM by Muftak »

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: July 14, 2019, 05:13 PM »
I agree with what Muftak is saying but still think it would have saved them some grief to make it clear something like SS was a possibility.

Maybe even they didn't think that at first?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #677 on: July 14, 2019, 05:29 PM »
I also think Hasbro could have saved themselves some headaches by just coming right out and saying definitively early on that the next project would 100% for sure NOT be Star Wars. Even the most thick headed fan boys would have gotten the message.

Dude....how long you been in this hobby?

Could you imagine a Hellicarrier if they had gone with Marvel?  Or a Galactus?  That would've been cool too!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:32 AM by Ben »
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 15, 2019, 09:44 AM »
If Cookie Monster isn’t your style, maybe a brand new Unicron?

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/haslab/products/transformers-war-for-cybertron-unicron

https://news.tfw2005.com/2019/07/15/haslab-war-for-cybertron-unicron-crowdfunding-revealed-391400

$575.  :o

This is PRECISELY what I thought Hasbro might do next if they were doing a Transformers project.  It leaves me wondering if maybe the folks at Hasbro wanted to see some people wig out with the Cookie Monster announcement first?  I did get many a giggle out of it, I have to say! 

Unicron is such a natural fit for this kind of project.  And in light of that, what things would Hasbro consider doing for their other major licenses down the road?  If it's GI Joe, a new USS Flagg seems like a natural choice.  But what about Marvel?  What would they do there?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #680 on: July 15, 2019, 09:50 AM »
If Cookie Monster isn’t your style, maybe a brand new Unicron?

https://hasbropulse.com/collections/haslab/products/transformers-war-for-cybertron-unicron

Well, that didn't take long to announce the next thing.  8000 backers seems like a lot but I guess that's about where the Sail Barge ended up in final orders so I guess Hasbro is hoping this will perform the same as the barge did?  It'll be interesting to see if this one makes it.

I will admit (based on some insider knowledge I have) that I was expecting one of two things to be next and this [Cookie Monster] was obviously neither of those two projects.

Unicron was one of those two projects I had heard was coming...  the other is Star Wars based. ;)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2019, 09:55 AM »
8000 seems insane to me. But 8000 probably seemed insane to Transformers' fans when Barge ended.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 15, 2019, 10:02 AM »
I will admit (based on some insider knowledge I have) that I was expecting one of two things to be next and this [Cookie Monster] was obviously neither of those two projects.

Unicron was one of those two projects I had heard was coming...  the other is Star Wars based. ;)

I would be a little shocked if they went to the well again with Star Wars.  Especially in light of the comments they made last year which seemed designed to tamp down expectations.  But with the Skywalker Saga coming to a close, maybe they want to strike while the iron is hot?  I'll guess it's a Death Star playset.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #683 on: July 15, 2019, 10:16 AM »
It's not to scale....easy pass.  Right Jesse?!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: July 15, 2019, 11:23 AM »
It's not to scale....easy pass.  Right Jesse?!   :D

I was breathlessly scanning the page to see how big this sucker was, hanging on the schoolyard rumors of a 6-foot tall version from my childhood. I knew it couldn't be that big, but 4 foot (like the barge) seemed to be in reach.

"Over 27 inches."

27 inches??? That's only 3 inches taller than Fort Max! If they couldn't hit 3 feet, why bother?

(On the Star Wars side of things, based on this I am now capping out my expectations for a Death Star at 30" tall)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 15, 2019, 11:38 AM »
I’m not a transformers guy, but what do you fanboys think?  Is this something you’re likely to spring for?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 15, 2019, 12:30 PM »
I don't collect Transformers either... but 8000 at $600 for a line that's collected less than Star Wars (as far as I know at least) seems like a tall order.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 15, 2019, 12:59 PM »
So 2021 Death Star will be $800.

Then real Haslab or wife question becomes reality

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 15, 2019, 02:32 PM »
Honestly, this is more what I expected to be next with the whole HasLab thing. I have a few Transformers, primarily vintage or from the recent Siege line, but I can't say I'm interested personally. I just don't have the budget for this stuff often (actually relieved in a way that we get a break before the next Star Wars one, unless that gets announced next), and I'd rather save for a Star Wars project.

I don't collect Transformers either... but 8000 at $600 for a line that's collected less than Star Wars (as far as I know at least) seems like a tall order.

I've been kind of curious about this as well. Is Star Wars still the big dog among a collector fan base - at least for things offered at retail? It is difficult to tell these days. Some exclusives, particularly online, sell out quickly...but the retail environment, at least locally, seems bleak. Same things always on the pegs, regardless of scale/line, and nothing seems to be moving (3 3/4" in particular). Transformers may not be there, but what about something like Marvel Legends? Honestly, that seems like the biggest game in town as far as Hasbro lines. I don't see why every project necessarily has to be a big/expensive item. I get that it is things like this that won't make it to retail (and also grab headlines). I mentioned it before, but it could possibly be a good outlet for the return of GI Joe (3 3/4", 6", whatever), since apparently it isn't retail viable without a movie.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 15, 2019, 04:22 PM »
Outstanding...I worry too that it might be too ambitious in its numbers, but it’s a great choice and insanely cool looking toy. I am rooting hard for this one.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy