Collectibles > Rogue One

Taking Back Our Hobby

<< < (2/17) > >>

Darby:
He's definitely the reason they force all Q&A's to be recorded and probably why the interactions at Toy Fair are now group and not 1-1. Couple years back he posted his infamous Q&A where he reported - not verbatim - that Hasbro said they made 'enough' female figures. This became an internet firestorm we're still seeing the after effects of (Hasbro leads all of its promotional efforts with SW with female figures nowadays). Rather than stick to his guns on the story, he changed Hasbro's answer at their request (they claimed it wasn't representative of what they said). So his integrity is shot right there and relationships with fan sites have eroded since.

Dave:

--- Quote from: Rob on July 15, 2016, 04:03 PM ---Paul who?

Seriously, never heard of the guy.  I suppose as a show of solidarity, I'll continue to never visit JTA or know who he is.

The internet is a cesspool with good and bad apples floating around in it.  Collecting communities on the internet are no different.  I'm not trying to be dismissive of your point or request or observations, but best thing you could do is just not use sites like that and eventually all that'll be left there is people who do tolerate, or approve of that kind of behavior, and then they can have each other.

--- End quote ---

Nailed it.

There are probably hundreds of web sites, podcasts, etc. devoted to Star Wars and I frequent a very small handful of them.  JTA is not one of the sites I visit.

I know I'm not likely to be the first to know anything with that attitude, but so far I'm managed to avoid most of the narcissistic morons in the collecting community and still feel reasonably well informed.

Sure he makes us look bad, but I'm sure there are another dozen morons waiting to take his place.

Rob:

--- Quote from: Matt R. on July 15, 2016, 04:16 PM ---You can't have a "ambassador" for the hobby so he claims act like this...he has his right to his opinions but he acts that he speaks for the collectors.  It's does give us collectors a bad rep.

--- End quote ---

This is the type of notion that makes me queasy when it comes to this hobby.  For better or for worse, after 21 years I still enjoy collecting, but I can't stand half of the people who are into it. 

There aren't any ambassadors, authorities, or special people on these websites (except Jeff of course), we're all just a bunch of people with some amount of disposable income buying toys way past the age that we should be buying toys at.  The people who start feeling all self-important because they carved out a platform for themselves on the internet and then take it seriously enough to treat other people poorly or say stupid things like this Harrison guy are the worst kind of nonsense.  It's guys like him who make me happy I can buy this stuff online now instead of having to interact with people in toy aisles.

Enjoy it, or don't, but toy collecting isn't life or death, it's toys.  It should be fun and friendly or you should quit, immediately.

Nicklab:
Paul Harrison (not his real name, btw) is a clown.  I was surprised to see the article about the rumored Poe & Finn thing, but in a way I wasn't surprised to see that FROM HIM.  Mostly because it always seems that certain people exercise an extreme amount of disdain or loathing from that which they *MAY* see within themselves, and that's usually accompanied by this horrendous sort of overreaction.

Having worked on covering a couple of Toy Fairs with the aforementioned person, I got that vibe.  I've also heard tales of someone who *MAY HAVE* overheard PH commenting at another toy industry event about how tight another gentleman's trousers happened to be in the crotch area.  The term "package" may have even been used in that exchange, as the gentleman who was the object of this conversation was being objectified.  Hmmmm????  I am not one to judge homosexuals.  I count several gays and lesbians among some of my closest friends.  But if you're going on some social commentary tear about gay people, maybe you need to take a look in the mirror first.

As for the Jyn figure?  If it offends you SO MUCH little man-child, then GET THE **** OUT OF THE HOBBY.  She had that scarf in the trailer.  Where were your xenophobic comments then?  Don't try to turn a website about toys into the collecting equivalent of Fox News. 

Darby:
I agree pretty much with everything Rob says - and Dave to some extent - but the only thing I'd add is that one reason Harrison is hard to ignore is the outsize influence he seems to have in the online community. The impact he's had on the dialogue between Hasbro and the fan sites at shows I mentioned earlier being the most obvious example. What had been a pretty informal and direct relationship is now pretty infrequent and corporate. Now some of that may be Disney. Could be. Things are different since the sale. But the change in behavior at the shows when it comes to access and Q&A's and how Hasbro chooses to unveil things can be traced directly back to the incident where he claimed they brushed off the idea they needed to make more female figures.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version