Author Topic: 2022 TVC Wave 4 (New TVC Wave 25)  (Read 7691 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 TVC Wave 4 (New TVC Wave 25)
« Reply #90 on: September 3, 2022, 08:46 PM »
New plot twist, my order of six of these guys showed up today after all.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 4, 2022, 10:11 AM »
My Airborne Mandos are out for delivery!  :)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 4, 2022, 10:48 AM »
A couple of the Airborne Mandos I ordered just arrived from Amazon!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 7, 2022, 12:37 PM »
I've had a couple of days to open and check out some of the figures from this wave.  WOW!  The sculpts, articulation and paint apps are really, really good on every figure in this wave.  Some quick notes?

FIGRIN D'AN - There's actually a lot going on with this figure.  While most of the features seem non-descript, it's really well done.  Hasbro is clearly thinking ahead because this figure is undoubtedly going to repackaged so you can build the entire band.  I also see the potential for some re-use of some of the parts for future figure - pretty much everything except for the hands, neck and head!

I think some of the really good things that are happening with this figure are with the arm and leg joints.  The arms and wrists are so well articulated that you can get the instruments positioned in something like an actual playing position.  And the leg articulation is good too.  It takes some maneuvering, but you can get the figure in a decent sitting position that will be functional when the other band members are released.  Plus the mouthpieces for the instruments actually fit in the mouth!

MANDALORIAN SUPERCOMMANDO CAPTAIN / DEATH WATCH MANDALORIAN AIRBORNE TROOPER  I feel like these two figures are almost completely the same barring some cosmetic differences.  And that's because they are!  When I saw a lot of the glam shots of this wave as well as the Mandalorian Super Commando that was released shortly before this wave I was struck by similarities with a lot of the parts.  Having all three of these figures in hand you can really see the fine details.

Each figure has a unique paint job.  That much is clear.  But the bulk of the parts on them are the same.  And each of them has the exact same accessories - the ricket pack, the 2 pistols that fit in the holsters and the larger blaster.  So it boils down to discerning what the differences are.
-MANDALORIAN SUPER COMMANDO - This sculpt appears to be the base model.  No appreciably distinct parts.  It's the Mauldalorian paint scheme that sets this one apart.
-DEATH WATCH MANDALORIAN AIRBORNE TROOPER - This has the Death Watch markings.  There's the added removable range finder on the helmet.  And the right arm has hoses and a gauntlet.  The gauntlet looks like it has a flamethrower and blaster built in.
-MANDALORIAN SUPER COMMANDO CAPTAIN - Again, we've got a Mauldalorian paint scheme, but the jumpsuit is a lighter color.  The helmet with horns stands out as a unique feature.  And the shoulder pauldrons with spikes are the other distinguishing feature.  The right arm/gauntlet is the same plain one as in the Supercommando.

I can definitely see the potential for this figure being the basis for at least another couple of releases.  I'm hoping for a TVC Pre Vizsla at some point - hopefully with the CW season 5 helmet.  And it seems likely that this sculpt could be re-used for more Mando troops at some point.  I've seen discussion about using this as the basis for a new Jango Fett, but the waist and upper legs would need to be re-done to make something accurate to Jango's appearance in AOTC.  Beyond that?  I understand what Hasbro is doing from a business standpoint by re-using parts for multiple figures.  The fact that it's so obvious?  Well, Hasbro might want to re-think the optics of that.  But aside from that, I think these are some of the greatest figures that I've ever seen in the line.

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 7, 2022, 01:25 PM »
I've had a couple of days to open and check out some of the figures from this wave.  WOW!  The sculpts, articulation and paint apps are really, really good on every figure in this wave.  Some quick notes?

FIGRIN D'AN -
I think some of the really good things that are happening with this figure are with the arm and leg joints.  The arms and wrists are so well articulated that you can get the instruments positioned in something like an actual playing position.  And the leg articulation is good too.  It takes some maneuvering, but you can get the figure in a decent sitting position that will be functional when the other band members are released.  Plus the mouthpieces for the instruments actually fit in the mouth!

It is worth noting that the legs are rehashed from the Rogue One Imperial Gunner figure. The telltale is the inaccurate pockets on the pants.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 7, 2022, 02:23 PM »

FIGRIN D'AN -

It is worth noting that the legs are rehashed from the Rogue One Imperial Gunner figure. The telltale is the inaccurate pockets on the pants.

AH!  What caught my attention the most was the articulation of the legs and the poses they could achieve. 

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #96 on: September 7, 2022, 04:05 PM »
It's definitely a bit annoying (I wish they'd used Lando's thighs and the gunner lowers), but I'm just happy to have a full band, and I can ignore the pockets.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: September 13, 2022, 09:04 AM »
My 332nd Ahsoka Clones should arrive today (Amazon) and I think that is the last of what I'd pre-ordered from this wave...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Still waiting on my 332nd Clone case from EE, as well as the Death Watch Airborne troopers.  But EE is showing a delivery date of January on those!

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 13, 2022, 11:56 AM »
I've managed to get a pair of the clones... two more preordered.  That'll probably do it for me on this one. 

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #100 on: September 13, 2022, 01:14 PM »
My clones arrive tomorrow. I am still waiting on the Deathwatch Troopers and the Mauldalorian captain to arrive.
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2022, 03:18 PM »
I stopped in a local Best Buy after hearing that this wave had been sighted at BB stores.  Sure enough I found the Mandalorian Super Commando Captain hanging on the pegs!  It's nice to actually find something in the wild every now and then.

I also got word that EE is processing my solid case preorder for the 332nd Clone Troopers.

Feedback

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #102 on: October 15, 2022, 03:56 AM »
Now that I've finally been getting around to opening all of my Mandalorians from these waves (VC243, VC246, & VC247) and have found that I have one major grip with all three figures. By in large they are fantastic, however, the fit of pistols into the holsters is rather frustrating. It seems to be a combination of the holsters being sculpted too tight, and the pistols being cast far too soft of plastic (like most Hasbro accessories these days it seems).

I can't seem to get the pistols into the holsters far enough that they don't limit the articulation. It also feels like they are going to rip in half when attempting to fit them into the holster. I've considered dremmeling out the inside of each holster to improve the fit but don't want to do that for 40+ holsters... I'm curious if anyone else has tried to fix this issue?
"This is the way."