Author Topic: 2022 TVC Troop Builder Rebel Fleet Trooper 4-Pack  (Read 366 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 TVC Troop Builder Rebel Fleet Trooper 4-Pack
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2022, 05:44 AM »
I was tempted to cancel my Pulse order.  But the officers and wider range of likenesses makes these sets pretty appealing.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2022, 10:01 AM »
Right on.  With the human likenesses and specific Antilles figure, I don’t want more than two of these.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2022, 02:17 PM »
I just opened my first set of Rebel Fleet Troopers.  WOW!  The execution on these is really good!  The facial sculpts are excellent.  I did have concerns that the Captain Antilles likeness and the Pello Scambras figures had the same head sculpt but different paint apps, but seeing them in person made it clear that's not the case.

As for how many to get?  A total of 4 of these sets will suit me just fine.  I managed to get at least a dozen of the RFT's back in TVC 1.0, and I have 3 Tantive IV playsets.  These figures will help fill out the ranks in my Tantive IV, Yavin and other Rebel Alliance dioramas.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 02:17 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2022, 07:15 PM »
I just opened my first set of Rebel Fleet Troopers.  WOW!  The execution on these is really good!  The facial sculpts are excellent.  I did have concerns that the Captain Antilles likeness and the Pello Scambras figures had the same head sculpt but different paint apps, but seeing them in person made it clear that's not the case.

As for how many to get?  A total of 4 of these sets will suit me just fine.  I managed to get at least a dozen of the RFT's back in TVC 1.0, and I have 3 Tantive IV playsets.  These figures will help fill out the ranks in my Tantive IV, Yavin and other Rebel Alliance dioramas.

Is the rank badge for Antilles a sculpted detail, or is it just painted on? Looking back at the images, aside from the head sculpt he looks like just a pure repaint of the RFT. Which is a bit disappointing since his coat should be long sleeved. I can totally live with it, but it is disappointing nonetheless.

I'm curious how the figure looks in person even just compared to the 2004 TSC Fan's Choice version.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2022, 11:02 PM »
Just got an e-mail from Hasbro Pulse stating these are on their way soon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 06:51 AM »

Is the rank badge for Antilles a sculpted detail, or is it just painted on? Looking back at the images, aside from the head sculpt he looks like just a pure repaint of the RFT. Which is a bit disappointing since his coat should be long sleeved. I can totally live with it, but it is disappointing nonetheless.

I'm curious how the figure looks in person even just compared to the 2004 TSC Fan's Choice version.

It looks really good.  Much better than the "Haley Joel Osment" version of Captain Antilles from the SAGA line back around 2003, which was IMHO probably the worst executed Fan's Choice Figure that Hasbro has ever made.  Although that figure was designed for Vader to choke, and for him to clutch at his own throat.  Given the state of action figure design at the time I suppose it was well done.  But this new figure is far better,

The rank badge is painted on.  I had to examine it really closely to make that determination.  It looks like there's some texture there, but it's really well done.  The key for pulling off the Captain Antilles looks is that they REALLY paid close attention to the execution of the paint apps.  That rank badge is one of the key points.  The other is the color choices for the "jacket" and for the shirt.  They're distinct enough from one another to pull off the illusion of a light tan jacket over a dark tan shirt.

And another key thing at work here?  The non-removable vest.  When the Rebel Fleet Trooper first came out in TVC 1.0 I was kind of annoyed.  Why would it NOT have a removable vest like the POTJ version?  In retrospect that removable vest really didn't add much to the figure.  With the vest off of the POTJ RFT it looked pretty weird, and the vest looks a little weird in other kitbashes.  Truth be told, the molded vest helps pull off the illusion that this is a jacket.  I don't think anyone planned for that back when the TVC Rebel Fleet Trooper was first released over 10 years ago, so this is a happy accident that Hasbro could turn the RFT into a passable Captain Antilles.

The only points of concern for me?  The pants aren't accurate.  And I also don't know if the likeness was based on the actor from ANH or from ROGUE ONE.  Beyond that, I think the Captain Antilles is a great figure.

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 08:16 AM »
Just to update: hasbro sent a notice that they will be shipping their troop builder sets soon.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 03:12 PM by P-Siddy »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 10:08 AM »
Just got an e-mail from Hasbro Pulse stating these are on their way soon.

Just to update: hasbro sentence notice that they will be shipping their troop builder sets soon.

Ditto.  Glad to see the Pulse RFTs are not that far behind Disney. :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 09:28 AM »
I popped open my set of the Rebel Fleet Troopers and I have to write down how pleased I am with every little thing about it.

I was "retired" from collecting when the TVC RFT figure was first released, so while it was on my radar as something I would buy if I saw it, its scarcity in stores killed that possibility. I didn't get one until they shipped with the Tantive IV playsets last year (at which point I also got one of the original pre-face printing releases, boosting my army to 3 which felt excessive!)

First off I really appreciate the new head sculpts from the standpoint of improved functionality. The helmets on the originals I have never seemed to fit tightly. The bigger hairsculpts on the new heads have made the helmets a better fit. Of course there is the bald guy whose helmet still jostles around, but 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

The Antilles figure works for me, too. Paired with the other figures in the set his paint scheme is so different he doesn't seem like a repaint at all. It worked out well.

I only bought one set, and that feels like enough for me. I could see headswapping a different officer if I had another 4-pack, but honestly I was always content with 2 RFTs on display, and now I get to have 4 unique characters plus Antilles. It's almost overkill!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 02:46 PM »
Great Muftak!  I think we all need to wait on Jesse's review.  He's the RFT authority around here!   ;D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2022, 02:54 PM »
Can't wait until HP sends my sets. I was hoping to mod a few nice military heads I found online and swap them on the 2nd set, but they're just a tad bigger than noggins on recent figures so I'm expecting them to be too big for the RFT.

Youtuber Only One Kenobi noted how the Asian head looks a bit like Doug Chiang. Pretty cool nod if that's who the sculpt was based on. Wonder who the others are modeled after?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2022, 05:30 PM »
So here's something I've never seen before.  Yesterday, my set from Disney was on a UPS vehicle for delivery.  Checked in from time to time to see where the truck was on the map and he never showed up.  Looking on the site today it says it will be delivered tomorrow due to "Emergency Situation or Severe Weather"  There was no severe weather here yesterday.

Weird stuff.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2022, 06:08 PM »
Great Muftak!  I think we all need to wait on Jesse's review.  He's the RFT authority around here!   ;D

No doubt! Spoiler--still no holsters!  :'(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2022, 12:22 PM »

Youtuber Only One Kenobi noted how the Asian head looks a bit like Doug Chiang. Pretty cool nod if that's who the sculpt was based on. Wonder who the others are modeled after?

I had noticed the resemblance to Doug Chiang, too.  It's pretty clear to me, and nice in that continuing trend honoring creators like Ralph McQuarrie and Joe Johnston.  It would have been nice if Hasbro had modeled a Rebel Trooper on ILM's Lorne Peterson or director Gareth Edwards, since both of them have played Rebel Fleet Troopers.  Peterson played the RFT in the observation tower with the handheld scope, and Edwards was the trooper who released the docking clamps that secured the Tantive IV to the Profundity at the Battle of Scarif.

After checking out the Wookieepedia entry for Captain Antilles, it looks like the likeness for the figure is based on the actor from Rogue One, Tim Beckmann.  The likeness between him and the figure is reasonably close.

I had thought that the original VC-052 Rebel Fleet Trooper was attempting to capture the appearance of the RFT in the original film that got the most notable closeup, Lt. Pello Scrambas.  But one of these new RFT's is definitely trying to capture his likeness more closely.

As for the black Rebel Fleet Trooper?  I can't find a specific person that his likeness is based upon.  But as head sculpts go and facial deco go, it looks really good.

Feedback

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2022, 02:24 PM »
These Rebel trooper packs are ******* excellent. I got two from ShopDisney, and have another 2 coming from HasbroPulse, and I'm trying to talk myself out of ordering more.

Does anyone know if any of the 3d printer guys have RFT holsters available? I figure they could just go with the same one from the Echo Base trooper, since he has the same gun.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram