Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 557986 times)

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2430 on: March 26, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Pretty good episode I thought.

First, I hope to see Carol "baking cookies" again.  I'm not a fan of passive Carol.

I'm wondering what is the point of the Whispers still.  I mean, they go into a community, kidnap, and kill...and yet, nobody knew these people disappeared.  Kind of weird, but I guess it doesn't matter because it'll drive the story.

I think Darryl is more apt to use violence than Rick.  Hopefully we'll actually see real conflict this time and not a bunch of wait and see what happens.  On that note, I wonder where Negan is in all of this?  I wonder what he's up to and what role he will eventually play.  Perhaps he's going to go the road of Michonne and have a true change of heart and that's the entire reason we saw that episode that focused on her thought process.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 12:31 PM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 31, 2019, 10:43 PM »
Finale.

That was a way to end to the season.

The snow stuff was different, yet the episode was sort of mundane.  Not bad...just there.

Why was Michonne still at the Kingdom? So Negan could have his moment!

They left the wagon horses to die at Sanctuary? If they were gonna do that, then they could've slaughtered them and lasted days longer.

The HAM radio ending thing was what I expected last season when the Sanctuary doctor and Gabriel came across that shack in the woods.  And they sort of stole that from vintage  Battlestar Galactica The Eagle Has Landed...and the earlier time jump(s) from NuBSG.  LOL.

At least it wasn't RICK on the radio...they could retcon it into being so.

Hey, remember the deleted scene of Dale listening to some crazy preacher guy way back in season...2?

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: April 1, 2019, 12:08 AM »
I have some nitpicking stuff that I'll leave alone. I liked the episode as episode 6 in a season. Not as season finale. Not sure what else to say.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2433 on: April 1, 2019, 08:31 AM »
That was one of the dumbest episodes of the entire season.

You put a half a dozen people in a room, any room, that's sealed off from wind, and those people will be warm.  Even with no fire.  Even if it's 10 degrees outside.  You wouldn't even need to huddle up.  After a while you may even feel the need to crack a window.  So the idea that you'd need to rope-line through a storm to get to a house with a fireplace is just laughable.

People can survive for WEEKS without food.  So if you're caravan has one day of food left and you're sheltered and you're in the middle of a blizzard, you tighten your belts and ration.  Wait until the storm blows over.  If the roads are then impassable, you send out a small group to get supplies from the way station.  And you wait.  You don't venture out in the storm and abandon your horses (probably the most important asset you possess) just to try to get somewhere else.  That's just stupid.

And on top of it all, while we have everyone from Alexandria and the Kingdom FREEZING TO DEATH despite having shelter and blankets, somehow the Whispers who don't even have coats and are out in the open, are completely unaffected.  They even became "stronger."

I was pissed off through almost every minute of that finale.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2434 on: April 1, 2019, 10:52 AM »
Arguably the weakest episode of the season...which is highlighted by last week's episode being so good!

Still, it did set up a lot for next season.  We noticed that the Whisperers migrate, zombies can freeze, and I think that was Jadis on the radio at the end.

Honestly, this episode just made me more eager for Game of Thrones.
« Last Edit: April 1, 2019, 10:52 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: April 2, 2019, 11:25 AM »

...I think that was Jadis on the radio at the end.

That's what I thought.  And I guess that also leaves open the door for the return of Rick.

Possible spoiler below.

I saw a story that said Andrew Lincoln may direct an episode or two next season.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: April 2, 2019, 11:52 AM »
I don't think you'll see Rick in TWD until they are wrapping up the series.  That being said, hints of him still being alive (voices on the radio, something in FTWD because season 5 is supposed to have a set-up for the movie coming out in 2020, etc) are completely on the table.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: April 2, 2019, 04:37 PM »
You put a half a dozen people in a room, any room, that's sealed off from wind, and those people will be warm.  Even with no fire.  Even if it's 10 degrees outside.  You wouldn't even need to huddle up.  After a while you may even feel the need to crack a window.  So the idea that you'd need to rope-line through a storm to get to a house with a fireplace is just laughable.

My wife and I were cracking up about this.  We live in Minnesota and just assumed all the writers are from LA or Florida or something and have no idea what a real snowstorm is like.  Somehow they've transposed a Category 4 hurricane at night with a light blizzard in small walled community where you've lived for the past 10 years.

I've always wondered how you would explain zombies surviving a hard freeze.  In theory you would think a solid freeze would fracture some of their bones and frostbite all of their muscle/flesh off and essentially kill them (hard to walk when all your leg muscles are gone and femur is fractured).

I was kind of hoping for a battle in the snow where all the herd zombies were frozen and easy to kill and The Whisperers were the only ones still moving with parkas on.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: April 2, 2019, 05:23 PM »
We just went through that Bomb Cyclone here in Colorado (lowest recorded barometric pressure on record in Colorado Springs with 96 mph winds recorded at the airport!).  The storm obviously wasn't that bad on the show, but that was all I could think about when watching!

My wife was wondering why some of the zombies were frozen solid but some were able to come out of the snow and attack.  I was able to drop some Arctic Survival School knowledge about how the zombies under the snow were actually more insulated and the ground would keep them warmer for a time!

I'm such a nerd.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: April 2, 2019, 10:52 PM »
Did I miss an episode or something?  Last week was ten heads on pikes and this one fast forwards past some epic battle that has our heroes abandoning their towns / strongholds?  I was confused as hell expecting us to jump back to this big battle where we see how mean and nasty Alpha can be, and then it was just alluded to in one shot of her being whipped by Beta?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: April 2, 2019, 11:34 PM »
You didn't miss anything.  There was a time jump of a month or so, and the boiler that has been a constant problem for the Kingdom lately finally blew.  The damage ruined a lot of the Kingdom, and with winter at their doorstep, they needed to abandon the area and find better shelter.

The Whisperers had actually migrated South to warmer weather...but I agree, that scene was weird.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: April 2, 2019, 11:36 PM »
See, that’s what I get for futzing around on my iPad while I watch these shows... I missed a few details and was expecting the storm to be a battle... so I drew the wrong conclusion...

Thanks for clearing it up. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: April 4, 2019, 11:44 AM »
That was a disappointing finale in many ways.  I think having such a good episode last week probably bumped up my expectations, but there was a lot wrong with this that could have been easily fixed.  I guess previous winters were more mild?  I still would not have left horses and supplies behind as others said.  Eat one and see if the storm breaks the next day or two (which it apparently did).  Or get everyone across the river, then have one or two people lead the horses across.  If the river can support 20 people at a time, it can support a horse.  That would have potentially sped up their travel on the other side or at least allowed them to send someone ahead for help.  And why didn't they check out the Sanctuary living quarters?  Weren't there tons of rooms with beds and blankets?  They might have found more supplies or stuff to burn in that big open area to stay warmer.  The people tethered on the rope through the storm was pretty silly as well.

Putting all that aside, my biggest complaint is how they treated Negan.  Makes sense to let him out to save his life, but wouldn't you assign a few people to guard him and wouldn't everyone short of Judith be a little on edge?  He was treated like a grumpy uncle, not a prisoner who viciously beat people to death.  They moved too fast into acceptance of him for my taste. 

I may have missed it, but is there any good reason the Kingdom never has supplies, while the Hilltop and Alexandria do? Can they not grow food there or is it more remote, so they can't scavenge?  Its a convenient plot line I guess, but would be nice to have some rationale why they would leave a virtual fortress, especially in Winter.

Does anyone else find the whole Rosita baby drama confusing and distracting?  Eugene constantly pines for her, she's with weird-eye Gabe, but Siddiq is the baby's real father?  What?  In the comics, pregnant Rosita is one of Alpha's border-marked-head kills.  Would have been nice to go that route and keep Henry around, so that Lydia would have some purpose. 

The remaining group of survivors is really weird.  Michonne, Negan, Daryl, and Judith are solid, but that's a pretty small core of good characters.  Losing Jesus, Rick, Carl, Henry, Tara, Maggie (kinda), Morgan, and Andrea (a much bigger factor in the comics) has made the story more bland for me.  I don't really care as much about the others or the new group, which felt really forced. 

The one thing I really did like in this episode was the verbalization of why it was so easy for Alpha to slip in undetected.  Its a party with a lot of unknown people from the various communities, so one more unknown person wouldn't be too far fetched.  There may have been others with Alpha that they just didn't show - who would know with all the extras running around.  It was nice that they closed the loop on the theme of separation that kicked the season off so oddly.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: April 6, 2019, 08:06 PM »
The Kingdom used to get by being extorted by the Saviors. So that was never clear about their food situation. It seemed to be like Oceanside was the place that would suffer the seasons the most.

It was very uneven season. The build up to Rick's exit felt like that, a build up. The new arrivals threw the show off for a while, as did Michonne being a jerk after the time jump (the flashback episode revealing why was a bit absurd....that her old friend not only survived years into the apocalypse but shows up in Alexandria!).  Did anyone care about Gabriel's love life? Precocious Judith teetered on silliness.  Alpha's flashback origin was bad...thankfully her character does feel threatening now. Enid and Tara felt like such bit players that it seems less surprising they got the axe after the fact.  Henry's arc was sort of a clever fake out yet also investment in a doomed character that replaced a character that should be alive (Carl).

Post-Lincoln, Reedus and McBride carried it.  Payton did okay, but got saddled with being the jealous husband in the finale. 

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: October 6, 2019, 08:40 PM »
I had no idea this started up again tonight
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within