Author Topic: Sand People  (Read 9616 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Sand People
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:54 AM »
Source Images:

Data

Vintage

Modern
Vintage The Saga Collection

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Sand People
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:03 AM »
For some reason as a kid I hated the Sand People.  They always sort of gave me the creeps.  Most of it was because they beat the hell out of Luke and 3PO I think but they were scary.

The modern ones have a lot to choose from but the VTSC version is my favorite.  The robe is a little poofy but it manageable in the right poses.  The AOTC one is actually decent too and I like the simpleness of it with the removable head. >:D

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 02:12 AM »
There are indeed many Sandpeople, kind of like Jawas...  But unlike the Jawas, I really don't think many can compare/compete with each other.

The Vintage figure is, to me, pretty perfect...  Near-super articulation, which is a pretty important thing for this figure/character I believe.  The softgoods, which I'm always in favor of for any "actiony" action figure, are some of my favorites on any basic figure too.  They match color really well, the texture is neat and matches the sculpting and "ratty" look of Sandpeople duds, and they can be made look even better if you do the "wet and drape" technique a guy started doing where he wets them, and the sort of hangs them on the figure in a fixed pose.  This type of fabric REALLY takes to that, and drapes perfectly, and holds its shape very nicely.

The sculpt is really neat in that it shows the wrappings under the skirt/robes and things...  I think the hands could be sculpted a little more neutrally, but for the rifle they're pretty great.  The bandoleir could be removable too, I suppose, for a little extra variety, but really this is another figure I'm perfectly happy to never see resculpted at all, and just see re-released and perhaps redecoed.

Like the Jawa though, I haven't retired all my Sandpeople of yesterday either though...  My POTJ/Saga ones still hold on.  The removable head one I have a "shaman" with a special staff accessory just to make him a little different.  Plus the hunched over pose that figure sort of has does well when the figure's sort of perceived as being older I think.  At least in my head that works for me anyway. ;D 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Blaster under the pillow

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05 PM »
I would definitely go for the VTSC, but the head never looks quite right to me, it kind of feels like it should be longer and less round.

I also wish the arms could get up in the classic "weapon above the head pose" better. The way the torso is sculpted, the arms come out at too much of an angle for this.

Looking at that movie still, they did a really accurate job of sculpting the soft goods. The sleeves are sewn up exactly the same.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57 PM »
I never got the VTSC one.  The sniper one is pretty good, as well as the one that came with the Bantha.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 10:13 PM »
I had the vintage one as a kid...one of the first couple figures I had. But it never saw much play. I think I would have played with him much more if Kenner had made a Bantha toy...man I wanted one of those back then.

I'm split down the middle about the VTSC and the Saga '03 versions...the softgoods on the VTSC is about the best softgoods I've come across. I did buy two of them when they were available. I really like the Saga '03 version (again, more of a sculpted robes fan), the head and "sand-stand" are really great bonuses (the stand is one of the best-looking stands Hasbro ever tried.) I would have bought another one or two of those if I had ever found them in the stores...as it was I feel lucky to have the one I do. And I'd be totally up for a rerelease with a modern/dustier deco.

The old Saga sniper/Massiff wrangler sculpt is good for background filler. The POTF2 one is abysmal, though, and the absolute worst is that god-awful Bantha pack-in one with the weird legs.

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:39 PM »
I still like the POTJ one.  As a kid the Sand People always reminded me of mummies, so that's what they tended to be when I played with them.  I always had their arms up, too, doing the mummy walk.

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 02:39 PM »
I really like the VTSC version... swivel elbows or not, this version is definitely the best.
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 04:39 PM »
I wouldn't mind a resculpt on the arms, just to give the super articulation in the elbows - mostly so you could do the "overhead weapon pose", or at least sort of. 
Otherwise, I do like this one - I think I picked up 2 or 3 of him for a couple of customs or something.  I do want to get the one with the old POTF2 Bantha, but more just because I want the bantha way more than that oddly colored and red furred version TRU had 2 or 3 years back. 

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 06:36 PM »
In the movies the difference between Ot and Prequel tuskens were the scarfs, which are depicted in the respectives figures.

I like both versions, they are different artist interpretations, with 30 years of time between them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 01:59 AM by EpicGon »

Offline Darthfloyd

• Youngling
  • Customizing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 10:54 AM »
Actually, I'd really like to get one modeled after the Star Wars visions print that was posted some time ago - with the big bird skull helmet!  That would be a heck of a freaky tusken!

Offline Jabba the Slug

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 03:54 PM »
Actually, I'd really like to get one modeled after the Star Wars visions print that was posted some time ago - with the big bird skull helmet!  That would be a heck of a freaky tusken!

Now that would be cool!
"'Want to see a trick I learned at the Sith Temple? It's called "'Force Choke.'"