Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 350386 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2004, 11:39 PM »
I usually dig that futuristic apocalyptic Sci Fi stuff ala Gattaca, A.I., Minority Report, Terminator,  Demolition Man etc so I would think I would check it out at some point, especially with the good reviews

Offline habs98

• Jedi Initiate
  • Think before you speak to me!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2004, 11:44 PM »
So what is the verdict on "I, Robot"? It was No.1 at the box office this week, and I've read mostly positive, if not remarkable, reviews, but no one I know bothered with it. Anyone check it out?

I'm a big fan of Alex Proyas's The Crow and Dark City, so I'm hoping this isn't too much of a sellout.

All I can say is that I should have rented a movie instead.  The movie had a lot of good ideas but just bombed in my eyes.  There was never a point where you didn't know what to expect or what was going to happen.  I won't go into it to much because there are people who did not see it yet.  In mu opinion save your money!

SilverZ

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2004, 02:07 PM »
I kind of figured it would seem predictable, since the short stories have been ripped off infinite times since they were written (Animatrix, hi). My friend saw it yesterday (without me, the bastard) and said it "definitly didn't suck" so I guess I need to check it out.

There was one positive side to Demo Man, btw - Sandra Bullock had some very nice spandex pants on. Most impressive. 8)

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2004, 01:58 AM »
For the love of God, please go see Napolean Dynomite. Funniest show of the year, yes, funnier than Anchorman.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2004, 09:06 AM »
From the previews I have seen, and miscellaneous TV spots, I have really been wanting to see Napoleon Dynamite since it began its run in "limited" release.  It is supposed to be nationwide now, but it isn't showing anywhere here in town.  I really hope that it does, otherwise I guess we'll be waiting for the DVD.  It does look hilarious though.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 2, 2004, 11:44 AM »
M. Night's latest tops the box office this weekend.  Here's the run-down:

1. "The Village," $50.8 million
2. "The Bourne Supremacy," $23.4 million
3. "The Manchurian Candidate," $20.2 million
4. "I, Robot," $10.05 million
5. "Spider-Man 2," $8.5 million
6. "Catwoman," $6.1 million
7. "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle," $5.15 million
8. "A Cinderella Story," $4.7 million
9(tie). "Fahrenheit 9/11," $3.1 million
9(tie). "Anchorman," $3.1 million

Also, the movie "Thunderbirds" apparently cost around $57 million to make, and debuted at No. 11 with $2.7 million.  Ouch.  "Shrek 2" took in $1.3 million to pad its total to $432.4 million, passing "Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace" to become No. 4 on the all-time domestic chart.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 2, 2004, 03:51 PM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but has anyone seen the trailer(s) for the movie "Saw"?

Looks like the new "seven."  But potentially more graphic.

Here's the website - there's a trailer or two in there someplace:

Saw:  The Movie

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #67 on: August 2, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Got around to seeing the Bourne Supremacy today.

I think they spent too much on Damon's salary and not enough or Steadicams and tripods. I swear, 98% of the flick was filmed with a handheld camera.

It was a pretty good flick though. I'd recommend it.

Going to see Harold and Kumar tomorrow. (I'm on vacation this week and plan on catching up on my movies during the matinee hours when all the crowds aren't there.)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #68 on: August 3, 2004, 12:27 AM »
Waiting For Guffman is on HBO right now...

I'll tell you why I can't put up with you people, because you're bastard people, that's what you are, you're just bastard people and I'm goin home and I'm gonna bite my pillow, that's what i'm gonna do!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 3, 2004, 12:41 AM »
Forgive me if this has been mentioned already, but has anyone seen the trailer(s) for the movie "Saw"?

Looks like the new "seven."  But potentially more graphic.

Here's the website - there's a trailer or two in there someplace:

Saw:  The Movie

yeah, i saw that preview, and that flick looks great. i can't wait to see it. when i first heard the name, i thought it was gonna be some kinda texas chainsaw ripoff, but it looks like a great movie. also saw the trailer for open water, and that looks like a good one as well. interesting note - i read an interview with some of the cast members of open water, who claim that no mechanical sharks were used in the filming. all real sharks. yikes!!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #70 on: August 3, 2004, 12:43 AM »
Waiting For Guffman is on HBO right now...

I'll tell you why I can't put up with you people, because you're bastard people, that's what you are, you're just bastard people and I'm goin home and I'm gonna bite my pillow, that's what i'm gonna do!

Well then I just hate you, and I hate your ASS FACE!!!
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 3, 2004, 01:08 AM »
another flick coming soon that has my interest piqued is the machinist starring christian bale. it's been getting rave reviews, as has bale for this performance. it sounds like it could be a pretty good one. here's a review/preview if you're interested in checking it out.

on another note, there is a trailer available for blade:trinity starring wesley snipes and jessica biel. meh.

and a trailer for suspect zero starring ben kingsley and carrie-ann moss.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 3, 2004, 01:15 AM »
The Machinst looks great.  The trailer is 5 freakin' minutes long.

Also worthy of mention is Mean Creek (I think that was what it was called...)  After I saw the trailer I said that it looks like Stand by Me meets Deliverance - which my friend then told me is exactly what the website is describing it as.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 3, 2004, 01:25 AM »
hmmm, hadn't heard of that one, but after checking out that trailer it does look like an interesting movie. i'll have to see if i can catch it when it comes out.

SilverZ

« Reply #74 on: August 5, 2004, 02:50 PM »
Stephen Sommers To Make a Terrible Flash Gordon Movie - Kill Us Now

Stephen Sommers, the man who made me roll my eyes at The Mummy, then struck back and made me shove popsicle sticks in them with Mummy Returns, and just recently let Van Helsing's suckfest corrode my soul, is going to go for the jugular with Flash Gordon.

I know the 80's one is pretty much cheese, but if you wanted to revive a franchise again, this chucklehead ain't the one to do it. LAME.