Author Topic: Official Movie Thread  (Read 352725 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: Official Movie Thread
« Reply #1125 on: March 9, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Gosh! That looks like fun! I may actually have to go see that one.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: March 9, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Saw Shutter Island this past weekend and although I really liked the movie, I was more excited to see the preview to the new 'Wall Street' movie.  It was really good to see Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko again...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: March 9, 2010, 10:16 PM »
I was more excited to see the preview to the new 'Wall Street' movie.  It was really good to see Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko again...

Another Wall Street?  How old is Mr. Douglas now - 80?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #1128 on: March 10, 2010, 12:28 AM »
Tron looks pretty sweet.  One of the local Pizza Parlors had a Tron Game in their basement arcade...I used to love playing that thing :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1129 on: March 10, 2010, 12:47 AM »
I was more excited to see the preview to the new 'Wall Street' movie.  It was really good to see Michael Douglas as Gordon Gekko again...

I saw this somewhere, Super Bowl maybe? 

Either way, it was cool as hell, and when they hand him the cell phone?  Priceless.

And what a time to put out a sequal to that too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: March 10, 2010, 09:58 AM »
That Tron trailer does look pretty spiffy.  I remember really liking the old movie when I was a kid, but boy it has been a long time since I've seen that.  This might be worth checking out though, seeing that arcade game was nostalgic as well.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: March 14, 2010, 10:18 AM »
I watched Hurt Locker this weekend. Very good, but of the three Oscar nominees I've now seen (District 9, Up, Hurt Locker) I put it third.
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: March 14, 2010, 12:43 PM »

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: March 15, 2010, 09:51 AM »
I finally saw The Hurt Locker the weekend - I was blown away.............
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1134 on: March 15, 2010, 12:03 PM »
*rim shot*
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Since we're getting close to starting up "Summer Movie Season", I was wondering if anyone wanted to make predictions like we did last year for the top movies for 2010.  I have to admit, I really didn't see Avatar doing the business it did last year, but it was far and away the number one movie in a pretty big year overall (TF2, Up, New Moon, Star Trek, etc.)  It looks like Alice in Wonderland is off to a big early start, with close to $300 million at the box office so far.  I'll list a few movies over the next few months that at least have the potential to do well (not saying they'll all be great movies by any means, but maybe have a chance at the box office to do well)....

April
Clash of the Titans
The Losers
Kick-Ass
Nightmare on Elm Street

May
Iron Man 2
Robin Hood
Shrek Forever After
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time

June
The A-Team
Marmaduke
Karate Kid
Toy Story 3
Jonah Hex
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse

July
The Last Airbender
Despicable Me

Later in the Year....
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Aug)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 1 (Nov)
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Dec)
Smurfs (Dec)
Yogi Bear (Dec)
Tron: Legacy (Dec)
The Green Hornet (Dec)

I'm sure I missed plenty of them, and some might not exactly be big "box office winners" due to ratings or something else, but I tried to list the majority of the major releases.  What is your prediction for the top five for 2010?  I don't know if I could rank them, but in no particular order:

Iron Man 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part I
Toy Story 3
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse
Shrek Forever After

I think there could be some dark horse movies that could do well (maybe not top 5 well), like Kick-Ass and Scott Pilgrim, and something like Tron could do very well too.  Animated movies (aside from Pixar's usual greatness) seem to do well too, so you never know about something like the Smurfs, Yogi Bear, Marmaduke, or Despicable Me.  You never know about something like The Last Airbender too, I think a lot of kids were way into that cartoon show.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #1136 on: March 29, 2010, 12:35 PM »
My predictions:

1 - Toy Story 3
2 - Iron Man 2
3 - Harry Potter
4 - Alice in Wonderland

After that I can't pick a 5th.  Nothing really stands out of the pack.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: March 29, 2010, 02:36 PM »
I think Bill has a pretty good list but I don't think Toy Store 3 will be tops.  I'd pick the following top 5:

1 Iron Man
2 Harry Potter
3 Alice in Wonderland
4 Shrek 4
5 Twilight: Eclipse

Toy Story 3 is one I can't quite get my head around.  It's a hugely popular franchise, but it's been 10 years since 2 was released and 15 since the first film.  The release of the two films in 3D last year didn't burn up the charts by any means so other than it being a Disney film, I don't know what it's potential is compared to the five I listed above.  I think there's a good chance it'll beat Eclipse on my list, but I don't know if it'll get past any of the other four.

I'm also interested to see if there's a huge sleeper in the year that'll surprise everyone like Avatar did.  One thing is for sure, with the huge (in some theaters) bump in 3D prices this week, any film coming in 3D has potential to go big this year just on artificially inflated prices rather than number of ticket sales.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: March 29, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Wow - I'm really out of the loop on upcoming movies...Kick Ass?  Smurfs?  I'm not good at these lists, but I say Ironman 2 gets tops.  Looking forward to the new Predators movie and hope it might actually be good since there's not going to be Aliens in the mix. 

Heck - I'm just looking forward to going to the theatre to see movies again.  I think Avatar was the last movie I saw.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: March 30, 2010, 12:26 AM »
Not sure about the top grossign movie - probably whichever of these comes out in 3-D.  The one I'm most excited about is Iron Man.

And I actually thought that PRedator trailer a few posts back looked pretty good.  I miss the cute little guys.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today