Author Topic: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?  (Read 191040 times)

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #645 on: May 6, 2009, 07:02 PM »
Finished The Eternity Code and now started Fool Moon by Jim Butcher. The is the second book in the Dresden Files series.

There are many kinds of wolves in the world, and not all of them are human. Not even those that walk on two legs.
Someone, someTHING, is shredding people in Chicago, leaving behind huge doggy footprints painted in the blood of the victims. Oh, and of course, it's round about full moon time. Reluctantly Karrin Murphy, Director of Special Investigations for the Chicago P.D., has had to call in Harry Dresden, professional wizard. Not that she trusts him much anymore after the way he left her hanging the last time they worked together. But he's the only with the knowledge and special skills she'll need if she has to deal with a werewolf on the loose.

In this second volume of his exciting new "Dresden Files" series, Jim Butcher has packaged up another action-filled detective story with a mystical twist. Like any good gumshoe thriller, "Fool Moon" has a plot full of peril, false leads, near misses, and all the usual (and unusual) suspects. Like any good fantasy tale, it has a believable, well-developed mythology. The reader comes away with an arcane education--werewolf lore, potion-cooking, demon-summoning. As narrator, Harry Dresden lets his audience in on all the little trade secrets of the practicing mage. Now, if only he could learn to be so candid with his colleagues and friends....

In the final analysis, "Fool Moon" is more about learning to trust than about foiling werewolves, more about self discovery than arcane knowledge, more about the demons in Harry's heart than those in his summoning circle. In other words, it is about Harry Dresden himself, a hero of pure intention, tremendous power, and courage in the face of unspeakable danger, who just happens to be afraid to meet his own eyes in the mirror. He infers the blackness of his own soul from the reactions of others brash or foolish enough to meet his gaze. And he fears that the kind of knowledge that has so blackened him will be at least as destructive to others. Harry's struggle to come to terms with himself and those he cares about, his faltering advances and all-too-frequent backslides, are what really keep the reader turning the pages. They are also what keep Harry half a step behind the villains until it is almost too late.

If you like action, mystery, magic, or just watching the growth of a compelling character, you'll want to read "Fool Moon."
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #646 on: May 6, 2009, 11:15 PM »
Nathan, let me know how Suicide Collectors is.

It was OK but not great. You can definitely tell it was a first novel. Like, it had a good plot and some great individual elements, but it didn't gel all the way and the prose itself varies between good and extremely uninspired.

I give it 3.5 out of 5. Then again, my expectations were high because almost all reviews were positive, so YMMV. It's pretty short and is definitely worth a read, but I'd check it out of the library or wait for the paperback.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: May 7, 2009, 04:13 PM »
« Last Edit: May 7, 2009, 04:13 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #648 on: May 7, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Nathan, let me know how Suicide Collectors is.

It was OK but not great. You can definitely tell it was a first novel. Like, it had a good plot and some great individual elements, but it didn't gel all the way and the prose itself varies between good and extremely uninspired.

I give it 3.5 out of 5. Then again, my expectations were high because almost all reviews were positive, so YMMV. It's pretty short and is definitely worth a read, but I'd check it out of the library or wait for the paperback.

Thanks for the update.

As for me, I'm 700+ pages into Shelby Footes 3,000 page Civil War narrative. Meanwhile, I've got a whole stack of books I want to read next - feels like I'll never get enough time to finish this.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: May 7, 2009, 09:43 PM »

I read Outbond Flight. Good read but predictable. I'm half way thru Seizure. It also is very perdictable for this type of book. The Shroud of Torrin part seems tacked on to compete against the DeVinci Code. Why does alot of best sellers suck compared to the classics?
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #651 on: May 13, 2009, 03:27 AM »
The Jews of Medieval Western Cristendom

A Companion to Medieval English Language and Culure

Shylock

Representations of jews in Late Medieval and Early Modern German Literature

Chaucer and the Jews

Shakespeare and the Jews

Love and Conflict in Medieval Drama

The Merchant of Venice

Fashioning Jewish Identity in Medieval Western Christendom

The Formation of a Persecuting Society

Gender and Jewish Difference from Paul to Shakespeare

And let me tell you, it has been an AWESOME couple of days...

:-X
"This is the way."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: May 13, 2009, 03:29 AM »
Yeek ... a little light reading?

You were reading similar stuff back in January (I remember because I was taking a medieval course myself at the time). Are you doing an ongoing project?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #653 on: May 13, 2009, 03:39 AM »
Yeek ... a little light reading?

You were reading similar stuff back in January (I remember because I was taking a medieval course myself at the time). Are you doing an ongoing project?

Yeah it's for my History capstone class. (Basically like a dumbed down undergrad thesis class.) I've got to write a 15 page paper by about noon tomorrow, The class is Jewish and Christian Relations in the Middle Ages. Which was my last choice. I really wanted to take something where I could focus on World War II, Anciet Greece, Ancient Rome, US History, or something I was at least somewhat interested in... Oh well, when this **** is done so am I. I've got one easy four-week summer class and then I'm graduated.

I'm about halfway done with the paper and I've been working most of the day. So I won't be sleeping tonight, I've had about 3 hours of sleep since I woke up on Monday and tomorrow night I have to finish up a group project. Finals week is awesome. >:(

You are a history major as well right Nate? Are you graduating this semester as well?
"This is the way."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: May 13, 2009, 03:53 AM »
Yep yep. I'm actually History, Ancient Studies, and Latin (a triple major being a side benefit of taking five years to graduate, I guess)--so I'm right on my way to being a starving liberal arts graduate in about two weeks.

I've got two in-class finals and a 20-page research paper (Roman Egypt in the late Republic) then I'm out. Today was my last day of class so I have a bit of a breather before the stuff starts coming due (Friday) but I definitely know the feeling.

Try to get at least a couple hours of sleep tomorrow so you don't drool on your group members. ;)

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #655 on: May 13, 2009, 03:57 AM »
Yep yep. I'm actually History, Ancient Studies, and Latin (a triple major being a side benefit of taking five years to graduate, I guess)--so I'm right on my way to being a starving liberal arts graduate in about two weeks.

A triple major in 5 is better than my double in 5 (my other major is in Communications Studies.)

Good luck with all of your **** as well. I can't wait for Thursday. I plan on cermoniously burning all of the crap I don't need anymore.  :)
"This is the way."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: May 13, 2009, 04:09 AM »
Don't worry, my dirty secret is that mine is really only as much work as a double major--Ancient Studies is one of those interdepartmental programs where you can double count from the other two and from some courses that also fulfill distribution requirements (e.g. for my two religion courses I took Hebrew Prophets and The Biblical God).

I may go to grad school eventually so I'm saving most of my books and notes but there will definitely be much pyro-free rejoicing come Tuesday. Roast a couple marshmallows for me, will ya?

Good luck until then!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 04:10 AM by Nathan »

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: May 13, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Holy crap!!!!!  I'm not the only history major around here.  I didn't think anybody ever majored in that.  I don't feel alone anymore. :)  FWIW, I don't have a double major, but am about 6 hrs shy of having a second in Political Science.   I'm going to start  my Masters next year and it will focus on WWII.

Good luck Ryan on that paper.  I remember those days.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #658 on: May 13, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Okay nerds.

Just finished volume one of Shelby Foote's Civil War narrative. Reading No Country For Old Men, perhaps a Faulkner book, then getting back to Foote.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: May 14, 2009, 10:01 AM »
^^^Who you calling nerds? 

You're not the only one talking about books on a Star Wars boared.  ;)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.