Multimedia > Star Wars Universe

Is Star Wars special anymore?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Jeff:

--- Quote from: Darby on January  3, 2018, 10:21 AM ---Star Wars will always be special to me. Nothing can diminish the impact its had on my life
--- End quote ---

Agree, and honestly, this is all that matters. 

I learned a long time ago that you can love Star Wars without loving everything Star Wars does.  Star Wars is so big that you can't (or won't) like every decision that's made and every story that's told.  I hated Chewbacca's death in Vector Prime.  The picnic scene in AOTC is nearly unwatchable.  Han's fate in TFA still makes me sad.  Etc.  Still love Star Wars though.

I love my kids.  Do I love it when they make bad decisions and try to melt a bouncy ball in the microwave?  Nope, but I still love them.  Star Wars is the same.  It will always hold a special place in my heart.  Will I love every movie they crank out from here to eternity?  Probably not.  But disliking Episode 12 or "Ackbar: An Admiral's Tale" or whatever isn't going to take away how I feel about the parts of Star Wars I love.

Qui-Gon Jim:
Marvel is 10 years in with multiple pictures each year. While there are some that are better than others, id say the QC has been kept intact and they are all good, and I eagerly await the next film each time.

As long as they can keep making GOOD SW films, I can’t imagine being less excited.

Scockery:
Star Wars is only special when it's the Holiday Special.

Okay, special? The sequels have messed up part of the fairy tale aspect of the OT, if you consider the OT to have that. Lucas considered the Empire dead after ROTJ. Not in retreat...over with. Kaput. Every post-OT thing ignored him. (So what were his plan for the Sequels?)

But what's done is done. Good, bad, meh, a new Star Wars movie every year is fine. None of us are getting younger.

Now to sign that petition to disavow The Last Jedi.... >:D

Nicklab:
Star Wars is still special to me.  A lot of that has to do with my own personal experiences with the franchise.  Watching THE LAST JEDI was an emotional experience for me for a number of reasons.  In large part because of the passing of Carrie Fisher.  And also because of the revelations of the story of Luke Skywalker after the events of RETURN OF THE JEDI, and how his story resolved.

But I think the bigger question to ask is this:  is Star Wars special to Disney?

I think it is.  Granted, Disney has invested a monumental amount of money in the franchise after purchasing it from George Lucas for over $4 billion.  If you just take into account the box office receipts alone, Disney has probably made that money back.  And they are absolutely monetizing the franchise as much as they possibly can through the movies, merchandising and their theme parks.

Do I have concerns?  Yes.  I think that the 1 film a year schedule is a bit too aggressive.  Especially right now.  Fans are still in the process of digesting and discussing one of the most compelling chapters of the Star Wars saga.  And what happened last week?  A promotional image from the upcoming Han Solo movie leaked.  From my own vantage point, there seems to be some conflict here because I think these movies really need some time and space to breathe and exist on their own.  And I say that from both a movie and a merchandising standpoint. 

Granted, we are NEVER going to see movies have the lifespan in theaters that they had when the OT was released.  I remember when I saw the "STAR WARS" in the theater in 1977.  The movie had been released in May, and I'm fairly sure that I saw it around Labor Day of '77.  And from what I've read it may have stayed in theaters until some time in 1978.  I don't think any of us who were kids at the time knew that there would be a sequel until Kenner announced the Boba Fett mailaway program in 1979, and that teased us that TESB was on the way.  Given the landscape at the time, that three years between the first two movies didn't seem that long.  But there was a lot of anticipation leading up to EMPIRE.  And even more towards ROTJ after the way TESB ended.  That building anticipation made the OT that much more special.  As did the mystery about where the story was going.

Some of that mystery seemed to have been lost in the PT era.  Spy reports and the internet took away some of the surprise factor, as did the fact that we were seeing the story of a character who we knew would become Darth Vader.  The very nature of the Force became dispelled to a degree with the introduction of the midichlorians, and that may have altered our perception of the inherent mysticism of the OT.  And I think some of the subplots of the PT movies that are actually a bit important to the story of TLJ flew under the radar at that time, too.

But I think that some of this discussion has to come back to us:  that original audience who were kids when we saw the OT, young adults for the PT, and approaching middle age now.  Has our own maturation and intense fandom brought us to a point where we now deconstruct every aspect of the saga to an almost obsessive degree, thereby depriving ourselves of a more innocent viewing experience that we enjoyed as kids?  I think it might be a question worth asking.

All of that being said?  I say space the movies out a bit more.  Maybe put some more effort into television or animation projects.  But let the movies breathe a bit more.  And I think that Star Wars can still be special.

Phrubruh:
What happens when a Star Wars movie is not one of the top three movies of the year? Will the fan boys declare Stat Wars dead? What will Disney do with a movie that made less than expectations? Will they cut budgets on the next one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version