Author Topic: Galaxy of Adventures 5" Figures  (Read 54447 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Galaxy of Adventures 5" Figures
« on: July 19, 2019, 11:19 PM »
Here's the press release, Press Pics coming later tonight (or tomorrow morning - spent the day [10hours] in 95+deg sun at my son's soccer tournament and am kinda wrecked tonight :P).

STAR WARS GALAXY OF ADVENTURES 5-INCH Figure Assortment
(HASBRO/Ages 4 years & up/Approx. Retail Price: Starting at $9.99/Available: Fall 2019)

STAR WARS fans new and old can discover the exciting action from the STAR WARS saga with figures, Lightsabers, and more from STAR WARS GALAXY OF ADVENTURES! These 5-inch scale action figures feature multiple points of articulation and design, and include detail inspired by STAR WARS movies and entertainment. Recreate exciting adventures with fan favorites like HAN SOLO, CHEWBACCA, DARTH VADER, C-3PO, and more! Each pack contains a 5-inch scale STAR WARS figure. Each figure sold separately. Available at most major retailers.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 01:16 AM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Galaxy of Adventures 5" Figures
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 09:36 AM »
They look interesting, but just not for me.  After 40+ years of collecting 4" figures, I'm kind of set in my ways.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 10:24 AM »
As someone who enjoys getting new stuff and isn't ok with being done if the 3.75 line dies, my worry is if this line and the 6" line foretells the future death of 3.75, but I've skipped the 5" up to then, I'll be like the people who waited two years to give in to the 6" and are now scrambling to catch up. My brain doesn't like that.

Now that's a run on sentence
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 01:16 PM »
These remind me of the Disney Infinity figures, but with articulation.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 06:51 PM »
"Starting at $9.99"

What exactly does this mean? Will some figures be $9.99 and others $14.99 or $19.99? How are these costing less than both the 3.75 inch AND 6 inch lines? Very confusing.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 10:58 AM »
"Starting at $9.99"

What exactly does this mean? Will some figures be $9.99 and others $14.99 or $19.99? How are these costing less than both the 3.75 inch AND 6 inch lines? Very confusing.

Because gullible adult collectors will pay more?

It's hard to come up with a better explanation.

These reminds me of Hero Mashers. (Which looked sort of fun, then once I had some in hand, they are just not that appealing)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 01:37 PM »
"Starting at $9.99"

What exactly does this mean? Will some figures be $9.99 and others $14.99 or $19.99?

Pretty much.  There will be $10 basic figures, some deluxe/larger figures at $12 or $15, 2-packs at $20, and so on.  There is a ton of stuff planned for this new 5" line for the Fall.

How are these costing less than both the 3.75 inch AND 6 inch lines? Very confusing.

You'll probably never get a satisfactory answer for that.  Without really knowing what's planned for this line, it's hard to guess how they are getting these out for $10.

Maybe they are planning to re-use parts across figures.  Maybe they are planning a ****-ton of repaints/repacks in the line?  Maybe they are low-balling the intro price to get people hooked on a new scale before planning to hike the price next year? 

I'm guessing they are going to spin this line as "5-inch @ $10 is better value than 3.75-inch 5POA at $8".

There is great irony here because I know a LOT of people who have constantly wished for Hasbro to find a happy medium - a line that offers more articulation than 5POA but costs less than $13 TVC.  Something like a $10 line with some figures as salt-shakers and some figures with SA.  And that's kind of what this is (just at 5" scale instead of 3.75"). :-X
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 03:05 PM »
"Starting at $9.99"

No no no, you're reading it all wrong. Starting at $9.99, yes, but swiftly moving to 5Below and Ross for half that price.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Yeah I wanted that happy medium...  But not in a 5" animated line, lol.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:02 AM »
The design is in line with the animated shorts.  They definitely captured that aesthetic.  But these aren't for me, and I'm fine with that.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 11:37 PM »
This is a gimmicky style and the only point is to let them sell the same characters all over again to a new collector base.

Easy pass.

Honestly, I can't believe a 42 year history of 3.75" collecting is about to fade away for this... I kind of hope it totally bombs.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:49 PM by Rob »

Online Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 3, 2019, 03:52 PM »
Rebelscum posted some TROS figures found in Canada

I know I'm biased, but holy crap do these look bad. The masked / non-human ones don't look too bad, but the human faces of Rey and Finn stylistically look awful.

I've purchased most of the Disney ToyBox figures and find them stylistically cool, and I love the old Tartakovsky 3.75" Clone Wars figures, as well as the animated 3.75" Clone Wars lines.  So I'm not against cartoony action figures, but these are not to my liking.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2019, 03:56 PM by Dave »

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 3, 2019, 06:48 PM »
Rebelscum posted some TROS figures found in Canada

I know I'm biased, but holy crap do these look bad. The masked / non-human ones don't look too bad, but the human faces of Rey and Finn stylistically look awful.

I was flipping the channels, saw a commercial for the animated series, and was impressed enough by the style that I was open to collecting the figures. Then I saw the same pics you did. The ugly changed my mind quick.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 3, 2019, 09:41 PM »
Those look terrible.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 3, 2019, 10:42 PM »
Someone pointed out on Yakface that these figures are aimed for the kiddos, yet have all the extra articulation that Hasbro says the kids hate.