Author Topic: Dave's Backlit Death Start Display Case  (Read 2963 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Dave's Backlit Death Start Display Case
« on: July 24, 2021, 08:21 PM »
Check out the backlit Death Star display case I finally finished up in my basement Star Wars storage area.  Notice the 3.75" figure on the top shelf.  I've got a *ton* of room I've got to plan out how to fill out with my collection. 

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
Re: Dave's Backlit Death Start Display Case
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2021, 03:05 PM »
This looks so awesome.  Totally worth the time and effort to get it done right!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2021, 08:02 PM »
ooh la la. Can't wait to see it populated.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2021, 11:39 PM »
Nice work!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 10:34 AM »
That looks fantastic!  Care to share any of the construction details?
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 11:02 AM »
That thing is beautiful, Dave.  Nice work.  I'd also would love to see WIP pics if you have some.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 11:24 AM »
That looks fantastic!  Care to share any of the construction details?

I'll share what I can, but I didn't really document the steps in photos at all.  I will say that there are a handful of fantastic YouTube videos and other web sites where people have done some really amazing things that I reviewed to get ideas.  Its not really my thing to do maker videos, documented photos, etc.

I'll also be glad to answer any direct questions people have if they want to give it a go.  I'm a little handy with tools, but certainly not a skilled woodworker or craftsman, so its definitely doable for those with only marginal skills and some standard tools.

I built my shelves to custom fit my available space, hide some pipes, and get wide enough to get some big items like a BMF on them.  I looked extensively for different stuff at retail, second hand stores focused on retail displays, and just couldn't find anything that would be close to the right dimensions.  Ultimately my display is about 7' by 7' and 30" deep, with a small 7' by 2' shelf tucked in to hide some piping.

I did check in to having some people build this for me and the price tag came in a little over $10k.  I didn't keep great track of all the receipts, but this wasn't super cheap to do myself either.  Probably about $2k.  Most things were fairly inexpensive, but the acrylic shelves ($950) and cable supports ($450) for the shelves in front were the most expensive parts.  I debated changing the design to use 2x2s in front to hold the shelves, but opted for a cooler totally open look and bit the bullet and bought the cables.

So it wasn't cheap.  If you're good with Ikea shelves I would definitely go that route.  I just wanted something much larger and backlit so that when it gets filled up you can still hopefully see what's in there.  I was tempted to just build lightboxes behind Ikea shelves and not use their cheap fiberboard backers, but I still wasn't happy with the dimensions I could find for their shelves.  It was also COVID lockdown and I had some spare time to research, plan, and build.

Materials:
- 1/4" acrylic shelves - lighter than glass, but glass may be a better choice for smaller shelves.  Custom cut and beveled by a local acrylic company.  It really wasn't much more expensive than HomeDepot and I got the exact size I wanted.  Acrylic does scratch pretty easy, but I figure plastic toys wouldn't be too rough.  They're also fairly bendy, so if I put much weight on them (statues, mini-busts) it might not have been the best choice.  I probably should have researched glass choices a bit more, but ended up going with acrylic as I figured the weight from the glass would be problematic for the cable system.
- Cable support system - EZ Wire from Gyford Standoff Systems (www.standoffsystems.com), bought through a reseller (www.jpplus.com).  I'll be glad to share the exact items I bought as this was fairly confusing.
- Frame is 2x4s
- Grey facia board is painted 4x8 hardboard ($9 each at Lowe's/HD).  Primed and painted (I can look up the specific color.  Matched to to Space Walls in Sherwin Williams).
- Death Star template of the cut hardboard.  I looked at a ton of reference photos and froze Rogue One and ANH to get screen grabs to understand patterns and sizes.  I can send the template I came up with if anyone cares.  Basically 3" diameter circles and connected openings.  If you watch the videos online people did this themselves with laser guides, grid paper, hole saws, jigsaws, and a **** ton of sanding.  People said they spent months on this step alone.  I found a local tradeshow company with a 4x8 CNC machine (you could find a local Maker group too) and paid them $120 to do it for me with my supplied template.  If I don't say so myself, pure f***ing genius.  Saved me a ton of time and I'm sure I would have messed up enough times to lead me to kill myself.  Like I said before, I'm no master craftsman so I knew where to phone a friend for help on this one.  I still had to sand it, but that wasn't too bad.  Attached with a bard nail gun, although some people glued or used magnets (seemed way too complicated but very cool).
- Frosted acrylic to cover the cut hardboard openings.  Purchased 3'x2' sections 0.100” thick from HomeDepot ($30 a section).  I needed a bunch of these so it added up to $300.  I tried scoring and snapping these but failed miserably and just cut them with my table saw which worked quite well.  Glued with Gorilla glue to the hardboard.
- Dimmable LED puck lights on the top and bottom are something basic from Amazon (I can look up the model if anyone cares - about $20 for each set - top and bottom)
- Used dimmable white LED lights to back light the lightboxes (about $20 a set - 5 sets).  I actually put them on the front wall and faced them towards the back wall where I glued aluminum foil across the hardboard to reflect the light in a more even and diffuse way.
- Black powder coated screws and black powder coated angle brackets from Lowe's ($2 each, so it added up after awhile).

The tools I used:
- Table saw
- Mitre saw (didn't do any fancy cuts so a circular saw would have worked too)
- Cordless drill - I did buy some hole saw bits but only used them for the puck lights
- Handheld belt sander
- Sandpaper
- Bard nail gun to attach the front facia boards
- Levels
- Primer, paint, screws, and a few angle brackets to join a few of the sections

I spent a little extra time getting the frame really square (multiple levels and a shim or two) and I'm glad I did.  It would have been an extra big headache getting all the facia fitting right if it wasn't square.  As it was I still had to sand/shave off some of the hardboard in spots to get everything fitting and looking good.

Ultimately it turned out really good. I was worried my marginal skills were going to really show through, but its amazingly good.  I can see some blemishes and other not perfect joins, but if you take a couple of steps back you can't really see them.  I won't ever be confused with a master craftsman, but I'm not trying to impress anyone with my build skills - hopefully they'll be more impressed with my Star Wars collection and not notice any minor flaws in the build.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 12:30 PM by Dave »

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2021, 09:41 PM »
Top notch work Dave. It looks really solid. Great call on opting for the cable supports, totally worth it. Has the self been populated since the summer? I'd love to see more pictures if you have any.

I have been debating on whether I want to build some stylized shelving like this for my collection room, or something a little more plain and modular for diorama displays.
"This is the way."

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2022, 04:14 AM »
Top notch work Dave. It looks really solid. Great call on opting for the cable supports, totally worth it. Has the self been populated since the summer? I'd love to see more pictures if you have any.

*AHEM*
"This is the way."

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2022, 08:03 PM »
It’s getting more full, but plenty of room left and lots more to unpack.  I’ll take a few pictures and post them soon.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 01:42 AM »
It’s getting more full, but plenty of room left and lots more to unpack.  I’ll take a few pictures and post them soon.

:)
"This is the way."

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2022, 07:16 PM »
Here are a few photos of my display - click for higher resolution versions.  Its very much a work in progress with lots of stuff still boxed up and slowly getting added.

My backlit display.  I wish I would have measured a few more things and made the top shelf a little taller to fit the big AT-AT and vintage Death Star.  I'm making this mostly and OT, Rogue One, and Mandalorian shelf. 

I've got a few other things on top, but its mostly a holding area.

I'm working on pulling out a carded version of each main line since 1977.  Ideally it's some kind of storm/clone trooper.  I've still got a handful more to pull out and a couple vintage ones left to buy.  I just picked up a vintage POTF figure (Ewok) to add to the mix and may someday add a Stormtrooper, but those things are expensive.

My barge display.

My Black Series collection.

Some random stuff.  Mostly a ST staging area for stuff that needs to be moved.

My ANH cantina setup. 

« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 07:48 PM by Dave »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 11:20 AM »
WOW!  That looks amazing Dave!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2022, 04:18 PM »
Love it!  Great displays and scenes and the backdrop is amazing.  Now go build the second one on the right, which should prominently feature the Imperial Shuttle.  ;)
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2022, 12:30 AM »
Wow, it's really coming together, I love it! I really like you one of each line idea for the carded figures, that looks sharp. I've been struggling to decided what to do with my carded figure displays eventually. I may have to borrow that idea. The loose figures of course look great on the shelves, especially with such great lighting. Top notch stuff!
"This is the way."