Multimedia > Star Wars Universe

BIG NEWS -- Hyperspace Presents: What's the Story

(1/4) > >>

Nathan:
http://www.starwars.com/hyperspace/about/news/news20050624.html

"Each week, members of Hyperspace: The Official Star Wars Fan Club will have the opportunity to leave their mark on the Star Wars expanded universe. Fans can develop an original backstory for characters, creatures, locations, vehicles, and more seen in the Star Wars films. If your backstory is selected, it will become part of Star Wars continuity and be included in the starwars.com databank.

Each week, this page will update with a new entry. Provide a brief yet detailed summary about the entry's history and specifics. Peruse the databank for existing entries to get a feel for the style and depth of the text.

The story that best fits within Star Wars continuity will be selected from the finalists and incorporated into a databank update. The provider of the backstory will be credited in the databank.

Please note that entries may be rewritten to for style and accuracy, and similar entries may be combined. While the entry subjects will change every week, the finished entries will only be posted once enough have been gathered to warrant a full databank update article. Keep checking starwars.com for more details as they become available."

Yes you read that right -- an opportunity to contribute to official Star Wars continuity.

Squeeeeeee teh w0000tzZoR!Z !111!?!!

Nerds everywhere, commence jizzing yourselves. :P

Jesse James:
haha...

Well, to me this just shows how loose the LFL people are with the continuity...  All the more reason to NOT accept everything written!  However, I will say that a lot of Fan-Fiction is very nice work...  Much of it even surpasses the stuff LFL is paying for, which is sad given what they probably are paying to get some of that stuff written!

It's funny but I've seen people make custom levels to games that are so nicely written and play so well that you just WISH they had some pull in developing the storylines of games.  Lucasarts has lost a step there (at least from time to time).

Nathan:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on June 27, 2005, 01:01 AM ---Well, to me this just shows how loose the LFL people are with the continuity...  All the more reason to NOT accept everything written! 
--- End quote ---

Naw, because the whole idea is that this gets filtered and probably modified and so only the good stuff makes it through as Official. It's the best of both worlds, I think--fan imagination and official "control".

I just posted mine. And a damn good one, if I do say so myself. ;)

Jediknight760071:

--- Quote ---All the more reason to NOT accept everything written!
--- End quote ---

All the more reason to not accept almost anything, at this point, I should think.

Jesse James:
Unless you like it...  I mean, a lot that comes out is still good EU material...  I just think this Hyperspace thing is a prime example of WHY the EU is not considered "definitive" or "canon", and just something that is there for sort of a fan pick-and-choose...  It's like a Star Wars buffet where you can try everything, nothing, or just somethings.

But I was watching a thread elsewhere about Clone Wars (the toons) being "Canon".  Beyond the asinine reasons given (some which weren't entirely informed/correct, such as "Lucas was heavily involved with Clone Wars" when in reality he only gave some "help" to them by letting them introduce a character he created), the point stands that Lucasfilm hasn't changed anything publicly about the films being canon and nothing else...  I don't know what it is about TV's, but people think that if they see it, they can argue "Yeah, well that happened because it's MORE important than (insert EU medium here)".  I think that degenerated into the CW toon being more "canon" than the Clone Wars Comic or some **** like that. 

Then it turns to a pissing match where one guy says the cartoon's canon, then another says "but the comic contradicts such and such from the cartoon", and then the EU debate rages because some say the cartoon's now canon, others are confused...  It's funny to observe.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version