Author Topic: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?  (Read 238524 times)

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of Star Wars Collecting?
« Reply #675 on: January 26, 2021, 09:25 PM »
The worst part is, even with the TVC line getting drowned in it's necessary repack percentages, I can see the supposedly popular Black Series slowly but surely becoming more reliant on repaints, rereleases, and kitbashes to maintain its profit margin. That 8-year old line line has a lot less depth than the TVC does at this point, so the prospects there are scary and could strangle it to death if left unchecked.

There does seem to be an inordinate amount of fancy repaints with special "premium" packaging coming out lately. All that carbonized stuff and vintage stuff. I don't have a problem with it, but it does seem like half the time there's an announcement these days it's something like that. Hopefully it just helps with the overall budget much like the re-use in a line like Marvel Legends helps to get more of the unique sculpted stuff and isn't an ominous sign of things to come. Or rather lack of things to come.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: January 27, 2021, 12:11 PM »
The worst part is, even with the TVC line getting drowned in it's necessary repack percentages, I can see the supposedly popular Black Series slowly but surely becoming more reliant on repaints, rereleases, and kitbashes to maintain its profit margin. That 8-year old line line has a lot less depth than the TVC does at this point, so the prospects there are scary and could strangle it to death if left unchecked.

There does seem to be an inordinate amount of fancy repaints with special "premium" packaging coming out lately. All that carbonized stuff and vintage stuff. I don't have a problem with it, but it does seem like half the time there's an announcement these days it's something like that. Hopefully it just helps with the overall budget much like the re-use in a line like Marvel Legends helps to get more of the unique sculpted stuff and isn't an ominous sign of things to come. Or rather lack of things to come.

This really got me thinking.  Do I *REALLY* want things like the Carbonized Collection?  And I'm leaning more and more towards no.  To the point where I might just put all of the 3.75" and 6" carbonized figures up for sale.  I kind of like the Black Series credit collection a bit more.  But between these and the god-awful holiday troopers (which were just too far for me to go), it feels like the customer base is being manipulated or used.  I might have reached a limit with these, and I'd just like some good releases of movie and show characters in both the 3.75" and 6" lines.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: January 28, 2021, 01:08 PM »
I kind of like the Black Series credit collection a bit more.  But between these and the god-awful holiday troopers (which were just too far for me to go), it feels like the customer base is being manipulated or used. 

How are people being manipulated?  No one has to like or buy everything that comes out.  In fact, everyone ignores some aspect of SW collecting from different types of products to different lines of toys down to individual figures.  I even consider myself something of a completist, but I still didn't buy the holiday figures because they're not my cup of tea.  These repaints and offshoots are extra stuff that you can buy if you like or just pass on, but you can't fault Hasbro for trying to make more profit on this stuff. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: January 28, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't use the word manipulated, but my collection is one-of-everything and it's staying that way.  So when they put out lame repaints or carbonized or new faces on old figures, I'm stuck between either abandoning a 25 year collecting style, or buying dumb stuff.

This is my problem, not Hasbro's, but they have me over a barrel a little bit when they put out junk unless I'm willing to make big stylistic changes to how I maintain a pretty complete set.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: January 28, 2021, 02:35 PM »
Yeah I wouldn't use the word manipulated, but my collection is one-of-everything and it's staying that way.  So when they put out lame repaints or carbonized or new faces on old figures, I'm stuck between either abandoning a 25 year collecting style, or buying dumb stuff.

This is my problem, not Hasbro's, but they have me over a barrel a little bit when they put out junk unless I'm willing to make big stylistic changes to how I maintain a pretty complete set.

I'm glad I followed Elsa's guidance and Let it Go.  I'd encourage you to do the same.

- 26 years ago when this all started back up I was two of everything - one minty carded and one for opening.  This included repacks, card variants, tray variants, lines I didn't really care that much for, and outright really stupid stuff.  I'm still trying to unload short saber / long tray POTF2 figures and Bend-Ems...
- Probably about thirteen years ago I realized that two of everything was way too much and I didn't have room for it and dropped to one of everything.  Mint in package.
- Within a year or two of that I decided that uninteresting repaints and repackaged things were getting eliminated too.  This has been tougher because there is a gray line involved.  I also became an opener too so card condition didn't matter much.

So for the past 10 or so years I get one of anything that is new, or mostly new.   It was really hard to do at first, but now its so much easier not to care about tracking down all the different variations and repacks.  Especially with how Hasbro runs their line today I've passed on a ton of Vintage carded and Archive collection repacks.

Most of these decisions were driven by my space limitations, but ultimately I think its helped me stress less and enjoy collecting more.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: January 28, 2021, 02:57 PM »
I kind of like the Black Series credit collection a bit more.  But between these and the god-awful holiday troopers (which were just too far for me to go), it feels like the customer base is being manipulated or used. 

How are people being manipulated?  No one has to like or buy everything that comes out.  In fact, everyone ignores some aspect of SW collecting from different types of products to different lines of toys down to individual figures.  I even consider myself something of a completist, but I still didn't buy the holiday figures because they're not my cup of tea.  These repaints and offshoots are extra stuff that you can buy if you like or just pass on, but you can't fault Hasbro for trying to make more profit on this stuff. 

The shortage of product at retail has created what appears to be an artificial demand bubble.  So it seems to have spurred this run on new SW offerings.  Who would REALLY want to buy a reissue of the Outland Peasant disguise Anakin Skywalker?  Along with all of the special packaging and deco exclusives.  Back in 2015 through 2018 we had what could be perceived as an excess of Hasbro Star Wars product at retail.  Hasbro seems to have learned their lesson - limit the supply and increase the demand.

But how have they been actively doing this?  Look at the advertised pre-sales.  "This will be listed on Thursday at 4 PM".  That has created an online frenzy where products sell out in minutes.  How many units get ordered?  Only Hasbro know.  And what about their use of the classic Disney marketing line "It's going in the vault".  They used that when they announced the Celebrate the Saga multipacks.  It creates a sense of FOMO that is intended the drive sales.  Hasbro knows what they are doing here.

As far as this being an issue with Hasbro as a company, and their relationships with the big box retailers?  Look at other Hasbro brands, notably Transformers and Marvel Legends.  There is a LOT more product for those Hasbro properties in stores.  The sheer number of waves of Marvel Legends figures dwarf what Hasbro is releasing in The Vintage Collection, and almost the Black Series, too.  This does not seem like a coincidence.

Moving forward I am taking a more selective stance - I'm selling off this carbonized nonsense.  Black Series Jaxxon?  Pass.  Marvel Comics deco Black Series figures?  Pass.  Cash grab reissues?  Pass.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:05 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: January 28, 2021, 06:07 PM »
The biggest issue I have with Hasbro's current repaint/reissue philosophy is that it leads them to make lazy choices that don't further the line to the betterment of collectors. For instance, I won't even mention the current TVC repack wave, but how about the "ESB 40th anniversary repack wave" from last summer? They put a "Lando" figure in there to check a box, but didn't have the knowledge or follow through to realize it was a ROTJ General Lando. They picked the tooling because it was handy--they had already reused it in 2016. General Lando made no sense for the wave in the minds of collectors. It made no sense as a release meant to go along with the Carbon Freeze Chamber. Lando would have never crossed the minds of a fan putting together a TVC reissue wave focused on ESB, because any fan could tell you we don't have an ESB Lando in TVC yet. (VOTC, yes, but not TVC.)

The current crew at Hasbro are clueless to these distinctions. They are simply manufacturing widgets, and using standard business practices to sell more units using less investment, without wanting to engage in the fan's emotional involvement with the product. They are happy we love this stuff, but they don't see the benefit in taking extra effort to make the line cohesive. So, with their maximum effort engaged they offer us solid gold repaints, holiday color repaints, shiny metallic repaints, concept art colors repaints, Kenner colorways repaints...all of which exist adjacent to the "real figures" as any fan would categorize it.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: January 28, 2021, 06:51 PM »
I'm glad I followed Elsa's guidance and Let it Go.  I'd encourage you to do the same.

- 26 years ago when this all started back up I was two of everything - one minty carded and one for opening.  This included repacks, card variants, tray variants, lines I didn't really care that much for, and outright really stupid stuff.  I'm still trying to unload short saber / long tray POTF2 figures and Bend-Ems...
- Probably about thirteen years ago I realized that two of everything was way too much and I didn't have room for it and dropped to one of everything.  Mint in package.
- Within a year or two of that I decided that uninteresting repaints and repackaged things were getting eliminated too.  This has been tougher because there is a gray line involved.  I also became an opener too so card condition didn't matter much.

So for the past 10 or so years I get one of anything that is new, or mostly new.   It was really hard to do at first, but now its so much easier not to care about tracking down all the different variations and repacks.  Especially with how Hasbro runs their line today I've passed on a ton of Vintage carded and Archive collection repacks.

Most of these decisions were driven by my space limitations, but ultimately I think its helped me stress less and enjoy collecting more.

I used to do the same thing with carded / loose, 2 of each.  I gave it up around 2007 or 2008.  Found a buyer who gave me $5 each, $10 each for deluxe.  Pocketed a bunch of money and never looked back.  Space-wise it was never going to happen.

I like that my loose set has everything in it... I still mostly enjoy it, even if every now and then something like Carbonized seems like a dumb way to spend $80. 

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: January 28, 2021, 06:53 PM »
The biggest issue I have with Hasbro's current repaint/reissue philosophy is that it leads them to make lazy choices.

They are simply manufacturing widgets.

I couldn't agree more. 

Somebody said it before, maybe in a different thread, but how are they not at least doing re-releases of things we're seeing in The Mandalorian - Tusken Raiders, Jawas, Remnant Stormtroopers, Tank Drivers, Dark Troopers, etc.  Maybe add some different paint apps or accessories and people like me would buy them in a heartbeat.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: January 28, 2021, 08:34 PM »
The biggest issue I have with Hasbro's current repaint/reissue philosophy is that it leads them to make lazy choices.

They are simply manufacturing widgets.

I couldn't agree more. 

Somebody said it before, maybe in a different thread, but how are they not at least doing re-releases of things we're seeing in The Mandalorian - Tusken Raiders, Jawas, Remnant Stormtroopers, Tank Drivers, Dark Troopers, etc.  Maybe add some different paint apps or accessories and people like me would buy them in a heartbeat.

This is exactly what I was thinking, and why a Mando focused line would be easy in a number of ways, and I believe incredibly popular. I just spent some time this week going through my loose extras tote, pulling out Stormtroopers, Biker Scouts, Tuskens, Death Troopers and other figures that have shown up so far. They could pretty easily put together waves of 6 and even include repacks like this to offset their costs. Throw in a beast assortment and a handful of vehicles and off we go!

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: January 28, 2021, 09:27 PM »

This is exactly what I was thinking, and why a Mando focused line would be easy in a number of ways, and I believe incredibly popular. I just spent some time this week going through my loose extras tote, pulling out Stormtroopers, Biker Scouts, Tuskens, Death Troopers and other figures that have shown up so far. They could pretty easily put together waves of 6 and even include repacks like this to offset their costs. Throw in a beast assortment and a handful of vehicles and off we go!

Just for fun, lets pretend it's 2008.

The Mandalorian Toyline

Wave 1 – Season 1 theme case of 12

Mando w/ Child (non beskar) x2
Stormtrooper x 2
IG-11 x 1
Cara Dune x 1
Armorer x1
Greef Carga x1
Moff Gideon x 1
Jawa x 1
Deathtrooper x 2

Wave 2 – Season 2 theme case of 12

Mando w/ Child (beskar) x2
Ahsoka Tano x2
Bo Katan x1
Boba Fett w/ Removable Armor x2
Fennec Shand x1
Tusken Raider x1
Darktrooper x2
Stormtrooper x1

Wave 3 – Waiting for New Eps theme case of 12

Mando Tank Driver Disguise(removable helmet) x2
Boba Fett (new look) x2
Frog Lady x1
HK-87 Droid x2
Luke Skywalker x2
Mythrol x1
Heavy Mando x1
Koska Reeves x 1

Deluxe

Wave 1 – Season 1 theme case of 4

Scout Trooper  w/Speeder x2
Kuill w/ Blurgg x 1
Mando w/ Blurgg x1

Wave 2 – Season 2 theme case of 4

Mando and Grogu w/ Speeder x2
Krykna Queen w/ 1 Mid sized Krykna and 3 baby Krykna x2

Battle Packs Season 1 theme Wave 1 case of 4

Prison Break 1 – Mayfield, Xi'an, Republic Security Droid, Davanx  x2
Prison Break 2 – Mando, Burg, Quin, Q9-0   x2

Wave 2 – Season 2 theme case of 4

The Tragedy – Grogu w/ Stone, Dark Trooper, Stormtrooper, Battle Damage Mando x2
The Marshal – Cobb Vanth, Mando w/ krayt guts deco, Tusken Raider, Weequay bartender x2

Razorcrest Vehicle

Even if they were just 5-9 POA I'd probably be all over the lot of em. Who else would be game?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 09:28 PM by Greedo The Green Menace »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: January 28, 2021, 11:00 PM »
Right on Greedo.  I think Hasbro gave us more Shadows of the Empire figures than we’ve gotten from two seasons of The Mandalorian.   

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 24, 2021, 01:31 PM »
I find this recent trend of a 24 hour lifespan of announcing the item/preselling the item/selling out of the item completely baffling. The Bad Batch 4 pack sold out insanely fast at Amazon (who obviously weren't holding some back for retail stores like WalMart and Target might) with a six-month window before delivery. Hasbro later announced that there would be more put up for presale eventually, I assume once they secure a window for another run at the factory.

This week the WalMart Clone Wars Microseries figures ddi pretty much the same thing, though it looks like WalMart did stagger the availability somewhat to give more buyers a chance. Still, everything was sold out within a couple of days of the announcement of such product. And again, this is just presales--the product won't be here until sometime next year.

The really disturbing part of this week's presale (to me) is the 3 Black Series figures--those sold out SIGHT UNSEEN. All they've posted is images from the 2003 cartoon. One can assume these will be repaints of previously released versions, but still--they could also be literally anything else.

This sets a crazy precedent where Hasbro doesn't even need to make a prototype before getting our money anymore. What happens next?

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 24, 2021, 01:48 PM »
The really disturbing part of this week's presale (to me) is the 3 Black Series figures--those sold out SIGHT UNSEEN. All they've posted is images from the 2003 cartoon. One can assume these will be repaints of previously released versions, but still--they could also be literally anything else.

This sets a crazy precedent where Hasbro doesn't even need to make a prototype before getting our money anymore. What happens next?

Yeah, I'll be interested to see what these end up looking like.  I sure hope we get a look at these before they ship, because if they're just repaints I'm cancelling the two I managed to pre-order and won't bother trying to track down the one I wasn't able to pre-order.

I too am baffled by the Amazon pre-orders.  They've never done that before where pre-orders of an exclusive are sold out instantly.  I'm not sure if everyone is way under ordering/producing, or factories are only running at 25%.

The other one that bothers me is the R2-RN8W pride droid from Disney.  It appears only a very small number of these were made, only briefly available at the parks with not enough to really even make it to eBay.

A lot of this defies logic.

If this hobby turns in to one that you can't reasonably track down everything you want, then I may be taking a much bigger step back in my collecting habits.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #689 on: July 26, 2021, 09:53 AM »
What they should do with pre-orders this far out is let it be open for a certain amount of time and then Amazon/Walmart/Target/whoever would then know how many to order and Hasbro would know how many to make.  That way everyone will get what they want, Hasbro and the retailer are not sitting on a bunch of stock and everybody's happy.

That's precisely why this will never happen.
This is the way.

I have spoken.