Author Topic: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases  (Read 337090 times)

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
Re: Recent Clone Wars Finds/Purchases
« Reply #810 on: December 17, 2011, 10:17 AM »
Unfortunately, I agree.

The pegs are full of mostly secondary figures - El-Les, Seripas, even the shirtless Savage - and the main characters, for the most part, are gone right now.  It's too bad, because these are all great figures and I want Hasbro to keep making them.  I think the attention span of kids, who do still drive this line, is too short to key in on minor characters from a single episode a year or two before.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: December 17, 2011, 03:34 PM »
I respectfully disagree, but obviously I'm biased.

I don't think this line has ever had a major problem with chronic secondary pegwarmers, not to the extent of Legends or even the Vintage collection. You've got your Yularens sure, but over a period of months most of the secondary figures seem to cycle through pretty quickly. I don't recall Hasbro ever having to do a  reclamation project on TCW like they have from time to time with the other lines (but I could be wrong).

Moreover, I think it's way to soon to draw any conclusions on these last 3 waves. Distribution is still somewhat spotty in places, and personal observances are apt to vary dramatically. You cannot easily find a Seripas or Armored Savage around here still. I think it's going to take some time before it becomes apparent what has and hasn't worked with these latest offerings. (El-Les certainly seems like the lead clunker so far, but this was an odd choice IMO, Season 3 Ahsoka or the Magnaguard would have been much better)

I just think it all comes back to character choices. Some one shot characters make for great figure choices, like Commander Jet, others not so much. I just think a character has to resonate with the fans for whatever reason, be it kids, collectors, whoever. The right figures will sell though, I am convinced, especially if released in relative proximity to the entertainment tie-in. (How many kids would love to be getting Krells right now?)

At any rate, Clone Wars stuff still seems to be moving so I can't agree with the logic to pull back on the line next year, but that stuff is out of my hands. What bothers me more than the quantity though are the selections. Even the few new figures they have previewed though seem incredibly lackluster, so I worry if those don't sell they will feel vindicated in their decision.

There's really no transparency to any of this stuff, so who really knows. It's a crazy industry.   

A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: December 17, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I'm thinking that Lego is the real Star Wars product that young kids are into, and the action figure line is fading. Hasbro can't do jack about that, except put some of their kiddie efforts Jedi Force and hope to glom off some of that Fisher Price business.

And well, invest in their other lines.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:43 PM by scockery »

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: December 30, 2011, 11:29 AM »
Picked up a couple of $3.90 TCW pegwarmers at Walmart this morning, probably going to get in on some of that cheap BP action too.

Not seeing Deluxe vehicles anywhere I go these days...I still cannot believe the mini Y-Wing never showed up here. My hopes for these suddenly showing up out of the blue like the BARC/Jesse set are growing slimmer and slimmer...

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #814 on: December 30, 2011, 01:22 PM »
In general the distribution of the newer Deluxe pieces this year was extremely limited.  Even the repacks came and went, mostly.  I saw the Y-Wing twice, but that's also how many times I saw the Separatist Droid Speeder.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #815 on: December 30, 2011, 01:26 PM »
It's funny, but the first round of the new ones hit hard here...  I got a couple cheapies of the Recon Speeder thing, passed on the separatist one (it's still around), but I never ever saw the Y-Wing.  My buddy sold me a loose one, and that was the only one I've seen till this day.  It wasn't even something I saw at the local toy show.

It's weird how the initial wave hit so hard here that a lot of it became ultimately a pegwarmer till the holidays.  The Republic vehicle, the Separatist one, even the Bounty Hunter were all around in great quantity.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline TheSon

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: December 30, 2011, 07:43 PM »
I picked up three flamethrower clones at the Wal-mart clearance. Could not pass on them with the price.

I also missed out on the Mini y wing. Never even sniffed it.

I am guessing Wal mart is getting ready for the new product. My store moved all of the clone wars and legends to another section and look ready to add product soon.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 1, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Picked up a couple more $3.90 TCW figures at Walmart, along with a random non-clearanced Ponda Baba.

They have definitely cleared the real estate in the SW section of the toy aisle...even the stuff on clearance has been moved out to a special sales aisle. There is plenty of room if they ever get new product to actually put out. I wonder how long it will remain empty for before new stuff, or even old restock shows up.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 1, 2012, 06:47 PM »
I wonder how long it will remain empty for before new stuff, or even old restock shows up.

Until December 21, 2012.  :P

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 4, 2012, 05:42 PM »
Picked up a CW blue/gray AAT at Wal-Mart for $12.40.

They had Ahsoka's Starfighter...is that hard to find? I couldn't find any on ebay, which is strange.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 4, 2012, 05:47 PM »
They had Ahsoka's Starfighter...is that hard to find? I couldn't find any on ebay, which is strange.

It's a chick's ship man!...so nobody ever bought them.  Consider yourself lucky.

j/k - i've no clue if they're rare, but I have one somewhere.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #821 on: January 4, 2012, 07:11 PM »
Found a deluxe Y-Wing of all things today. PM if you're looking to trade.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 4, 2012, 09:37 PM »
Found a deluxe Y-Wing of all things today. PM if you're looking to trade.

PM sent!  ;)

Saw a lone Buzz with BARC tonight at a local Wally. It seems like those things really sold through fast, both sets. Wonder if they just had short runs or excellent holiday release timing?

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 5, 2012, 02:21 PM »
The AT-RT seems the more popular of the two, though I've seen them both in the past week.

Offline shmashwitdaclub

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 6, 2012, 09:28 AM »
I dont know if anyone else needs him but here is a cheap listing for Gha Nachkt.  I never bought him so I just ordered one of him from here last night.
« Last Edit: January 6, 2012, 09:36 AM by Jeff »