Author Topic: Rykrof Enloe # 14 - SURVIVAL (final edition)  (Read 4448 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Rykrof Enloe # 14 - SURVIVAL (final edition)
« on: January 16, 2007, 06:13 PM »
Ok, here's the official redo of "Survival" - the 14th chapter in the Rykrof Enloe series.  Hope you enjoy...

Although few threats have faced Naboo during the Clone Wars, the peaceful planet keeps a watchful eye on the stars...

...as the government is fully aware that the droid armies of the Trade Federation could once again take away their sovereignty.

Nearly one month has passed since Alyssa Enloe last saw her husband... the father of her child, Caldin.

The bereaved Naboo handmaiden holds her infant son, and walks, saddened as she has learned today of yet another loss for the Republic in the Outer Rim.

Once the child has fallen asleep, Alyssa stares into the sunset as she prays for her husband's safety, wondering what might have happened to him...

Little does she know that Rykrof has become stranded on Dathomir after being ambushed by several Trade Federation battleships.  While his small fleet had been able to launch several escape pods, many were shot down in space before reaching the surface of the planet.

If it is not the diseases, starvation or the native creatures that the survivors fear, it is the relentless patrols by the Separatists, obsessed with killing any survivors from Rykrof's strike force.

Those who have been hunted down by the Separatists are the lucky ones...

…for the survivors have encountered the true dangers of Dathomir...

…very few have the ability to avoid the clutches of a hungry rancor…

…and are devoured by the terrible beasts.

After several weeks, Commander Asajj Ventress has tracked down several survivors from the Republic strike force.

"How many of you survived the impact?" the dark woman hisses to her latest captive.  "Where is your commander?"

Unconditionally loyal to the Republic, the clone trooper refuses to reveal any information to the powerful woman.

“Fool,” the spiteful woman says.  “Your war efforts are useless against the might of Count Dooku.  The terrorist base you sought was abandoned before you even arrived.  Once again your pathetic military strategies have failed!”

With a sharp twist through her mastery of the Dark Side of the Force, Asajj Ventress suddenly closes the clone’s air supply, resulting in an agonizing death for the soldier.

“Leave this weak scum to rot,” she says half mindedly to the battle droids flanking her. 

“I know Enloe made it to the surface," she says, assuring herself.  "We can not leave this wretched place without proof of his death.   Double your search,” she orders her droids.

As her troops disperse, Ventress stands alone; absorbing the darkness around her.  Although Count Dooku's orders are to find proof of Rykrof Enloe's death, the dark warrior has begun to sense there is more to her master's plan than has been revealed to her.

“I could take her out right now,” TK-42 says through a pair of macro binoculars.  “But even if I got off a clear shot, we’d quickly be overrun by droids.”

“Then we move on,” Commander Rykrof Enloe replies.  "Now's not the time to confront them."

“But Sir, where are we to go?” TK-42 asks. 

“We’ve been out here for weeks, running and hiding from the droids and those giant beasts.  I for one would rather take a few of them out with me than be snuck up on and shot in the back...or…”

“Look, we’re getting off this damn wasteland.  I don’t know how we’re gonna get out of this mess, but we're not dying here,” Rykrof snaps.  “Either we wait to get rescued, or we find our own way off this slimy mud hole.”

“We really haven’t covered any ground either.  It’s time we try heading south,” Rykrof says as the group of survivors moves on.

Meanwhile, the Separatist fleet gathers in the Spahl system.

With neither side in the war gaining an advantage, Count Dooku discusses the progress of the latest Separatist campaigns with former Jedi Master, Sora Bulq. 

“We need every resource we have to be used efficiently," Bulq says.  "Therefore, I don't understand your logic in keeping Commander Ventress on Dathomir."

“She has a mission and I wish to see if she fulfills it," Dooku says calmly.

"Her true mission is not to find Republic survivors, but will be a challenge for her with the Dark One.  The commander’s search radius is currently limited to a 200 kilometer trajectory of where the escape pods landed.  The pods just so happened to crash on a rather large island, ruled by this dark witch.  This should prove to be an interesting challenge for Commander Ventress.”

“I see,” Sora Bulq says.  "So you are testing her will to find proof of the death of Enloe.  Undoubtedly her path will cross with the Dark One of Dathomir.  If she survives she may prove worthy of further teachings?"

"Precisely," Dooku replies.  "And while we continue to strike randomly against the Republic, they are unable to gather the necessary resources to interfere with our interests on Rhen Var.”

Meanwhile, the group of survivors has stumbled upon the abandoned Badoo Corba base they had originally set out to destroy.

“It’s doubtful there will be anyone here still Sir, but I still suggest we try and find another entrance to be on the safe side,” TK-42 recommends. 

“Nothing’s been easy so far,” Rykrof argues.  “Let's see if our luck changes.  We’ll go ahead and try the front door.”

To the relief of the group, Rykrof appears to have been right.  Not only does the base appear to be abandoned, but the front door was unlocked.

“Ok, now I suggest a little more caution.  I really didn’t expect that door to be open,” Rykrof admits as he surveys their surroundings.

As they begin to search the complex, Rykrof notices an emblem of the former Badoo Corba leader, Trigg Fuuda… and is reminded of the many terrible memories he has experienced since his first mission to Abridon, so many years ago.

The group then hears a sound from the adjacent room, and proceeds forward with caution.

To their surprise, they find a shaking Mon Calamari standing with his arms up, begging for his life.

“Oh no!  Please don’t shoot me,” he cries.  “I am only looking for parts to repair my ship to get off this planet.  I mean you no harm!”

I'm a terrorist," he says.  "Wait, what am I saying?   I'm an archaeologist, not a terrorist!"

“Stupid fish... how do we know you're not really a terrorist …left over from the quick departure?" TK-42 asks, strangling the confused being.

As the panic-stricken Mon Calamari begs for his life, Rykrof secures the room.

"Alright," Rykrof says.  "Who the hell are you?  And what are you doing here?"

"My friends call me Freelo," he says, gasping for air.   

"I really am an archaeologist... you startled me by pointing all those blasters at me!  Let me make you some tea.  I assume you're hiding from all those droids too!"

Soon after, Rykrof’s troops begin searching the complex for supplies while Rykrof becomes acquainted with the strange Mon Calamari.

“Like I said, I'm a freelance archaeologist, one of the finest in the galaxy!" Freelo proudly tells Rykrof.

"I was contacted by the Separatists to assist in an excavation on Rhen Var, but was unsure of whether or not to take the offer, which was substantial.  I was near this system when my ship’s thermal coupling faulted, causing my crash on this planet.”

“I’ve seen the Separatist droids here on the planet," he says.   "But I've hid from them.  I've seen how they're tearing through the jungle.  They must be on an important mission!  These droids shoot first and ask questions later!”

“Well you might be in more danger by just being in this same building with us.  But that’s what this war has become,” Rykrof laments.

“Even now, the war goes on…”

“…it’s reached levels I never thought possible…”

“…and all we have seen is destruction... but we're not even able to reach Confederate strongholds such as Cato Nemoidia.”

“True,” Freelo says.  “A terrible thing this war has become, for both sides.  Perhaps we can work together to get off of this planet and return to our homes before they become destroyed too.”

“But to get back to my ship it could prove to be difficult…”

“…there's more than droids and rancors on this planet."

TO BE CONTINUED...

;)

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Rykrof Enloe # 14 - SURVIVAL (final edition)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 10:30 PM »
I really liked this chapter, both now and back before. I know I've asked you several times already, but are you using Photoshop yet?

The new Ventress looks lethal. Despite getting rocked by Dooku in the CW cartoon, I think you're staying pretty true to the comic rendition...she's definitely a baddie.

I like the new Clone Rykrof as well, without shoulder pads he looks a little more like a DP than before. The only quarrel I had with reading this one was the first shot of Dooku and Sora Bulq together; it's a little difficult to distinguish floor from wall from space from border. The black is similar on each surface. Still a very nice piece of work though. Good luck on the next one.

Offline Deanna Rash

• Jedi Padawan
  • AH ! Whatta you know a jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:13 PM »
 ;D :o :o The Redux is great Chewie.You're becoming a great PN visionary.Your angles,lighting,sets are really surperb and that makes a great escape.How well the story draws you in.I love it Thanks ;)
The ablity to speak does not make you intelligent - now get out of here!

Offline Artoo

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Lucky catch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Great. Your SEs are the best in comparison to the originals.
KAY-BEE STANDARD RESPONSE:  "All we have is 1990's 'Robocop' toys."
WHICH MEANS:  "Holy ******* ****, please shoot m

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 10:04 AM »
I enjoyed the story very much! Great job!
It just occurred to me today, now that I have high speed internet as opposed to the crappy dial up I had for last few years, I can actually look at the photonovels without falling sleep waiting for pages to load. They pop up automatically now!
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 11:54 AM »
Hey guys, I want to thank you for the replies, it's very appreciated.  I know the photonovel craze has died down some around the net, so any kind of feedback is very much inspiring.

Jediknight760071 - Hey, one of the original readers from when this series first started so long ago!  Thanks buddy for still taking the time to read these.  I'm still not using photoshop, in fact I've never even used a photoshop program before.  I'm still stuck using photo-impact, which seems fine for me but I'm sure there's limitations with it.  I've gotten comfortable with the program though, which is a big step forward for me.  On Ventress, I'm glad you like the custom.  I can't wait to redo the showdown between her and Siriadne.  Also I'm thrilled that you like the Rykrof version, some people have expressed that they don't like him without the shoulder pads, but I like him like this too, as if he's shedded some of his armor while on the planet.  I see what you mean on the shot of the Federation bridge, I'll keep that in mind in the future, and thanks again for the feedback.

Deanna Rash - Thank you, it's always nice to hear what you have to say.  Always good to get feedback like that, and also feel free to offer any suggestions you have too.

Artoo - You are to kind, but I do agree they are better than the originals.  At least to me they are.  The pics are better for sure, but I hope I'm not losing some of the tempo from the original versions.  But the good thing is I am getting closer and closer to all new stories!

Straxus - I didn't realize you were on dialup, man that does make it a pain to read these things or even look at customs sometimes.  I was on dialup until about two years ago (actually the first few photonovels I made, I was on dial up still and YIKES).  Glad you liked the story, I'd love to hear any feedback from you on others if you go back and read any of them.  thank you!

Thanks again guys, and all the best

;)

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:36 PM »
I have been checking out the others and love reading them!
Looking at them just made me think again how many figures you have... What is your estimate on how many you have? How many of them get used in photonovels?
I tried before with dial up but being a horribly impatient person I couldnt stand waiting an hour for the page to load...

Ya, every since I had to move back to my home town about four years ago, I had to downgrade to dialup due to budget, but events within last couple weeks improved things enough to include high speed internet in my life again...(and I am so happy!  ;D )
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...