Collectibles > The Clone Wars '08-'13

The Future of the Clone Wars Toy Line?

<< < (3/22) > >>

Jesse James:
The show's practically a commercial though, nothing more.  I question whether anyone would want it if it (and Star Wars in general) decline in popularity is what I'm saying. 

I guess I just don't equate people's nostalgia for old TV shows with a cartoon about Star Wars.  I'm not saying someone wouldn't I guess, I'm just saying I don't think anyone's gonna care if Star Wars itself is declining a bit.  The Hub maybe, but I don't think The Hub's shelling out big for what it airs, and Lucas isn't known for letting his precious be used without him getting hefty cuts.

And the way they're setting things up in the series I really question if it'll be here much longer.  I agree, they really are setting up the ROTS lead-in... a lot.  I just hope they don't completely dump on Tartakovsky's version in the process, but I'm sure they will ultimately.

Jabba the Slug:

--- Quote from: Jesse James on February 15, 2012, 03:30 PM ---And the way they're setting things up in the series I really question if it'll be here much longer.  I agree, they really are setting up the ROTS lead-in... a lot.  I just hope they don't completely dump on Tartakovsky's version in the process, but I'm sure they will ultimately.

--- End quote ---

The old cartoon was a hit: none of that political trash; each episode was 5-12 minutes of pure, sweet action that hooked the viewer. This new series is totally wrecking EVERYTHING. At this point I've just come to pick and choose what I think is canon and what isn't.

As crappy as this show can be, it has created hundreds of awesome Hasbro figures. Hasbro was just beginning to get collectors warmed up to the TCW line. I don't think we'll ever really see it revive. The line's being put on the backburner for the next 6 years, and I certainly don't think the show will last that long. What happens after the show ends is up in the air, but, like we've seen with the films, Hasbro can potentially find stuff to make even once the show has had its run.   

JediMoses:
I know that last season the show took a hit in the ratings, probably due to the unevenness of the show, but its ratings have made a decent comeback.  Almost 2 million viewers for a Friday night show doesn't seem that bad by cable standards, but I am sure the show costs a lot more than an episode of Storage Wars.  I have really come to love this line and I am quite disappointed in the way Hasbro just bailed on it this year.  They have done some amazing things in the show and I would love to see figures made of many of the characters they have introduced us to.   

I can live with a smaller line, and lord knows my wallet can.  But it should be a great line then, and this year is not that.  It is disappointing to read that they will not re-release some of the harder to find characters.  It would be nice if Hasbro would just open up about what is going on with everything, from the management of the brand to the distribution issues. 

The show is not going to make it through the 3D re-releases, and I am wondering what the benchmark is for considering that experiment a success.  My guess is that they run 6 or 7 seasons and call it quits at that point.  I appreciate what Filoni has done and how he has brought a fans perspective to the series.  I can only hope we get some really good CW figures between now and then. 

The Vintage Collection is worth the scale back for 2012, but if they keep dragging out ten year molds to clog the pegs in the Movie Heroes line, then I hope they revisit their decisions about the CW.   

Scockery:
IIRC, wasn't it planned for 100 episodes, ratings or not?

Darby:
Pretty much.  Lucas actually most or all of Season 1 done before ever getting a network committment, so ratings (like studio backing) is largely irrelevant to him.  The ratings are actually fairly decent.  The show has to be considered an unqualified success, regardless of it ends next year or years from now.  The Hasbro line has to be seen the same way, even if it's in decline.  It's been an amazing line that still has major gaps to fill.  Kind of reminds of me the vintage line (the real vintage line).  Even if CW ends tomorrow, there is no expiration date on getting figures from it.  We have 30 years of plastic to prove that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version