Author Topic: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 182945 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2019, 06:24 AM »
I got this answer from the Disney+ Help account on Twitter:

Hi, we will support the Samsung Smart TVs from 2016 upward. If this means your tv, you will be able to find it tomorrow in the app store. We will release the app tomorrow at the time of our official release.

You will be able to stream The Mandalorian immediately after downloading the app and signing up.
Please look forward to this.

Have a magical day!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2019, 06:52 AM »
I think my TV may be too old for Disney+ app.  There was nothing in the LG store this morning when I woke up.  Not sure how I will use the service otherwise.  I don't want to have to get a new TV, because I have one of the last 3D tv's that LG made.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2019, 08:32 AM »
A relatively new smart BluRay player or a Chromecast device might be the most cost effective ways to get it on an older tv.

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Finally was able to find and download the app this morning on my phone.  Their servers seem to be overwhelmed and buggy right now - logging in took ten tries.  Haven't tried to watch any of the episodes yet.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2019, 09:57 AM »
The episodes are being released on a weekly schedule, which definitely bucks the trend of streaming platforms dumping an entire season all at once.

Feedback

Online Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2019, 10:11 AM »
First episode was solid, but it took a lot of trying to get it to play.

The spoiler was quite unexpected, and I was expecting something sideways out of that reveal. Just not...that...at all.

Online Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2019, 10:26 AM »
I think my TV may be too old for Disney+ app.  There was nothing in the LG store this morning when I woke up.  Not sure how I will use the service otherwise.  I don't want to have to get a new TV, because I have one of the last 3D tv's that LG made.

Ed,

Try this.

I'll try it when I get home from work.  It's great news because everything I had read up until this said that LG wasn't going to have an app (but you could just use the web browser).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 10:45 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2019, 12:26 PM »
The episodes are being released on a weekly schedule, which definitely bucks the trend of streaming platforms dumping an entire season all at once.

Old man me says thank you!
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2019, 06:16 PM »
So is this the discussion thread? Do we need a second thread?
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2019, 08:20 PM »

Old man me says thank you!

Same here!  I actually like the idea of spacing this out.  It gives the episodes some time to breathe on their own.

Marathon or binge viewing has definitely become a thing in our culture with this new philosophy about releasing tv shows.  But I think there's such a thing as audience exhaustion after a while.  And each episode kind of deserves a measure of respect, doesn't it?  If you binge watch an entire season you're watching the product of months or years of work by the showrunners, writers, production team, cast, etc.  And are you as attentive a view 6 hours into a binge as you were when you started?

Feedback

Online Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2019, 10:58 PM »
Chapter One is great!  Can't wait until Friday for the next episode!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2019, 01:01 AM »
I loved it, except the blue dude at the beginning was annoying AF. Was that Horatio Sanz?

The Pauldron bit was sweet. I won’t spoil anything about the ending except wow, did not see that coming at all.

IG-11 was badass!
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2019, 08:51 AM »
So what did you guys think?

I thought it was good, not great.

I kinda wish they made the premier episode longer, maybe a two hour premier.  Maybe its going to build in the next couple of episodes, but I'd like to know The Mandalorian's motivations and ideally I'd like them to spend a few more minutes humanizing him, unless he's just going to be a badass bounty hunter, but then why get a real actor to play him if he never takes his helmet off.  It seemed like they started to go down that route when he was with his clan and was having flashbacks to his childhood, but then that scene ended without a whole lot of insight.

For the most part all the scenes were interesting, but there was one "Lucas" moment where The Mandalorian learned to ride a Blurrg for no apparent reason.  I'll be interested to see if this matters later, but it was a waste of four minutes for this episode.

I do like that its a weekly release.  Gives us time to discuss and think about it before the next episode is released.  It's only eight episodes this season, so I hope they can drive some cool stories quickly so they keep the series alive.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2019, 09:46 AM »
I just assume they want us to wonder who and why the lead is who he is for an episode or two or three.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2019, 09:55 AM »
Did anybody understand how the GPS tracker thing works?  I assume its just a plot device to speed things along.  I was fine with it until I thought about the target at the end and how it would make no sense. 

Since there was no real investigation or clever detective work, maybe it would have been better if they just skipped the BS tech and had The Mandalorian meet up with Kuiil (his guide on the planet) and take it from there.