Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87396 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #495 on: August 14, 2006, 03:27 PM »
****, Best Buy had a sale on all the seasons?

I still need a couple...

According to the Target weekly ad (available on their website - page 26 of the ad I believe), Target will have all season sets of the Simpsons (aside from the new one released tomorrow) on sale for $19.99 this week.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 14, 2006, 05:00 PM »
I've thought about sending in for that second Season 6 box, but I'd guess that the offer is expired by now? Season 6 has been out for about a year now, but who knows.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 15, 2006, 10:09 AM »
****, Best Buy had a sale on all the seasons?

I still need a couple...

According to the Target weekly ad (available on their website - page 26 of the ad I believe), Target will have all season sets of the Simpsons (aside from the new one released tomorrow) on sale for $19.99 this week.

That's a good deal. I still need season 7, which is where I'm going to stop.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 15, 2006, 04:10 PM »
Be careful - I don't think season 7 is covered.  When I checked the ad online it said seasons 1-6 only.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 16, 2006, 09:07 AM »
Be careful - I don't think season 7 is covered.  When I checked the ad online it said seasons 1-6 only.

You're right ruiner.  Sorry, I must not have looked close enough at that ad.  I stopped by Target yesterday to pick up Season 8 ($29.99), and saw that Season 1-6 were $19.99 and Season 7 I believe was regular price.  Its amazing how quickly Target flies through these TV box sets when they have their $19.99 sales.  I've seen the Seinfeld, Simpsons, etc. sell out pretty quickly when those prices drop, but it is a pretty good deal.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 16, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Found that out when I got to the store. :P I did pick up the new Apocalypse Now release though. :D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 27, 2006, 10:54 AM »
has anyone here ever heard of raredvds.tv before?    they must be bootlegs, but they have wkrp on dvd, which i had heard would probably never be available due to the music.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 28, 2006, 11:44 AM »
Been a while for new DVD's, but this one is a must tomorrow!   :D

Offline Neal

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 28, 2006, 04:15 PM »

Same here.  I'll be picking that up along with the 8th season of South Park.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 28, 2006, 05:21 PM »
What a kick in the balls last night was for AD.  Three nominations, no wins.  I can't say that I'm really surprised though - why give an Emmy to a show that is cancelled?

That might give someone the idea that a certain television studio royally screwed up.

:'(

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #505 on: September 2, 2006, 04:03 AM »
Forgive me if this has already been covered elsewhere, but can someone point out the specifics on the new LOTR DVD releases that I just saw today?  I guess my main question is:  If they can't fit the Extended Edition onto just one disc (previously), how in the hell can they fit the whole thing, plus the Theatrical cut, onto a single disc now?  Has technology advanced to the point where the discs have a lot more space on them now, or is the sound/video quality that much lower on this version that the Extended Edition doesn't take up nearly as much space now?

I'm just wondering how my 3 sets of Ext. Ed's aready (apparently) got superceded so quickly, I guess... (since I'd much rather not have to change the discs during the film, for starters)

Anyone know?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #506 on: September 2, 2006, 10:54 AM »
If they can't fit the Extended Edition onto just one disc (previously), how in the hell can they fit the whole thing, plus the Theatrical cut, onto a single disc now?  Has technology advanced to the point where the discs have a lot more space on them now

Umm, kinda.  The movie discs in these new sets technically hold more information than the individual discs in the EE sets, but they're double-sided flippers, meaning (yes) you have to get up and flip the disc in the middle of the movie.  But these bigger discs (referred to as DVD-18s) aren't anything new--they've been around for six or seven years now.  They're just not all that popular.  And just 'cause they're bigger, doesn't mean you can cram hours and hours worth of stuff on 'em and expect 'em to look as good as they would if they were spread out onto several discs.

or is the sound/video quality that much lower on this version that the Extended Edition doesn't take up nearly as much space now?

Sound, yes.  The new ones drop the DTS tracks.  Oh, and they drop all the commentaries from the EEs, too.  Picture?  There seems to be some debate about that.  Here's a comparison someone did.  To me, the old version looks better.

I'm just wondering how my 3 sets of Ext. Ed's aready (apparently) got superceded so quickly, I guess...

Last-chance cash-grab before the HD versions come out in a year or two?

(And I wouldn't say the EEs have been superceded with these, not by a long shot. . .)

(since I'd much rather not have to change the discs during the film, for starters)

Well, you wouldn't necessarily have to "change" discs during the film, but you will have to get up and flip the disc during the film.  How'd that be?

Anyone know?

This guy does:

HTF MINI-REVIEW: The Lord of The Rings Trilogy: Limited Edition

And so do the IGN people:

Fellowship (4/10)
Two Towers (4/10)
Return of the King (4/10)

In short, the only reason to buy these new discs (besides that gorgeous packaging--and it is gorgeous) is for the new documentaries, which don't even sound all that great to begin wth. 

I'd say hold off on these discs, unless you're just a Tolkien nut.  Rent them if you want to see the docs, and save your cash for the HD releases in a couple years.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 2, 2006, 11:42 AM »

This was all I bought as well - I probably haven't bought but 3 DVD's in the last month - but that's about to change in September and October.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #508 on: September 2, 2006, 12:05 PM »
Perfect.  I'll hold off on 'em then, 'cause flippin' a disc is no better than switching the disc to me, not to mention that these sound like they're of lower quality as well.  Thanks Matt.  :-*

- Mr. Too Lazy To Do His Own Research
« Last Edit: September 2, 2006, 12:06 PM by JediMAC »

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: September 2, 2006, 06:12 PM »
Not as exciting as LOTR obviously, but...

Picked this up last week at WM for $9.44

One of my favorite horror franchises (1-4 that is)  Gotta love them Cenobites!
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN