Author Topic: MLB 2004  (Read 118596 times)

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
Re: It's Outta Here! The JD Official 2004 Baseball Thread
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2004, 05:44 PM »
It sure would be nice to roll into the series with the Yanks and take at least 2/3 if not sweep them right before the playoffs like that.   8)

The Yanks are gonna put the mac down, and put the smack down. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 05:45 PM by Dressel Rebel »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #331 on: September 28, 2004, 07:07 PM »
I think the Twins have a better shot this year than they did last year since the Yanks pitching is down.  I won't put too much stock in these next 3 games either

I'm not sure if I'd rather play the Yanks or the Sox right now, both of them are scary good with the sticks which might crack Radke a game or two

Still like their chances in a 5 game series

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #332 on: September 29, 2004, 03:19 AM »
Holy ****, what a night of SoCal baseball!  First, the Angels won big over Texas.  Then Oakland loses, meaning the Angels are finally back in FIRST PLACE (tied)!   8)  Plus, the Angels got the potential playoff tie breaking game against the A's in Anaheim, should it come to that.

Then, the Dodgers come out like a limp schlong against the Rockies, down 4-0 in the bottom of the ninth.  Giants have already won, so we're about to lose a game back off our lead, when BAM!  Dodgers go for 5 runs in the bottom of the ninth inning to pull it out!  Crazy!

Plus, in the Dodgers best Jose Guillen impression, Milton Bradley went totally AGRO (for like the 5th time this season), and got into it with a DODGER fan in the bleacher.  Apparently the fan tossed a bottle out towards him, after he made a costly error allowing a couple runs to come in.  So Bradley walked over to him, and kindly returned his bottle at his feet - with all of his might.  Then went nuts, got tossed, screamed at the rest of the Dodger fans on his way into the dugout, etc., etc., etc.  Gonna get suspended by the league too, I'd bet.  What a moron.  Maybe him and Guillen can go out for some drinks together this week, while their teammates are still ballin'.

Looking good!  Pretty confident about the Dodgers right now, with their 3 game lead with just 5 to play.  Now I just pray the Angels will keep rolling and finish their division out too!   8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #333 on: September 29, 2004, 12:06 PM »
RIP Montreal Expos...and the Washington team better be named the Senators

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2004, 12:12 PM »

Plus, in the Dodgers best Jose Guillen impression, Milton Bradley went totally AGRO (for like the 5th time this season), and got into it with a DODGER fan in the bleacher.  Apparently the fan tossed a bottle out towards him, after he made a costly error allowing a couple runs to come in.  So Bradley walked over to him, and kindly returned his bottle at his feet - with all of his might.  Then went nuts, got tossed, screamed at the rest of the Dodger fans on his way into the dugout, etc., etc., etc.  Gonna get suspended by the league too, I'd bet.  What a moron.  Maybe him and Guillen can go out for some drinks together this week, while their teammates are still ballin'.

Somebody ought to prescribe him a sedative, cuz he just cannot control himself.  I think he's gonna get a nice big smack on the ass this time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2004, 12:13 PM by Dressel Rebel »

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 29, 2004, 08:48 PM »
Bradley's suspended for the rest of the season.  I don't know if he's eligible for return in the playoffs or not.  Psycho.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #336 on: September 29, 2004, 08:53 PM »
That's just freakin' brilliant.   ::)

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: September 29, 2004, 09:36 PM »
It sounds like he is at least able to play in the playoffs unlike Guillen, who is trying to fight his suspension with the players assaction.  IF he get it removed he will be the best brench warmer the Angels have since it sounds like he won't be allowed to play anyways since the manger makes the line up choices.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 30, 2004, 12:02 AM »

Yup, a whopping 4000 or so fans.  Finally a team from Canada that should move to the US.  Still, sad to see yet another franchise go south.  Guess I better get used to it :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #339 on: September 30, 2004, 12:09 AM »
I find it surprising though that cities are willing to shell out the big bucks for these teams, many of which are still losing money and many of which have found loopholes around revenue sharing (which is why the Yankees want to build or renovate their stadium)

I lost a lot of love for baseball thanks to 1994, its taken years, even the last 3 here in town has shown people don't care as much as they used to.  Twins were drawing over 3 million fans in 1987 and 1991 and this year with probably just as good as a team drew poorly.

This is why the NFL will be and always will be America's true Pastime, Baseball gave that up with the Strike of '94 and its never going back

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 30, 2004, 09:11 AM »
Well the Cubs are trying their best not to make the postseason.  Lost 4 of their last 5 to the Mets and Reds and even had leads in the 9th inning twice!  But thanks to the Giants for losing they are still just a half game in back of the Stros with 4 to play and Houston idle tonight. 

Crazy WC race but I think Houston will pull it out since they play Colorado.  They should sweep them and the Giants and Cubs have tougher opponents.  Giants play the Dodgers and the Cubs play the Braves.  We'll see what goes down though. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #341 on: September 30, 2004, 01:25 PM »
Yeah, I think your Cubs are toast Bri.  Too bad, 'cause I often root for the poor guys (and really like Maddux).  Astros are playing tough, and it'll be interesting to see what the Dodgers do to the Giants this weekend, with potentially nothing at stake for themselves anymore.  I'd love to see them knock the Giants out of the Wild Card too.  God, that would make my year...

Another barn burner for the Halos last night.  WOW!  Down 6-5 in the ninth, with two outs and no one on.  Vlad singles, and a guy who's got like 15 at bats all season comes in and triples off the top of the wall to tie it up!  Then, in the 11th, Glaus goes for the 2-run poke for the win.  Then the real icing on the cake - the A's blew their lead in the 9th inning as well, and lost to Seattle!  1 game lead baby!!!   8)

Unfortunately, the Dodgers melted down in the 9th themselves, but the Padres took care of the Giants in extra innings, keeping the Blue 3 games up, and dropping our magic number down to 2, which means we could actually clinch tonight, rendering the weekend series against the Giants a moot point (which would be kinda unfortunate, as that would be some insane baseball to watch)...

Fingers crossed...   :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 01:28 PM by JediMAC »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 30, 2004, 01:59 PM »

Yup, a whopping 4000 or so fans.  Finally a team from Canada that should move to the US.  Still, sad to see yet another franchise go south.  Guess I better get used to it :'(

:'(

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: September 30, 2004, 02:41 PM »

This is why the NFL will be and always will be America's true Pastime, Baseball gave that up with the Strike of '94 and its never going back

Don't suppose you'd care to forward that statement on to Goodenow and Betmann would you?  Fans can and do become bitter, especially when it's a bunch of millionaires fighting amongst themselves.  Hockey is just that much stupider, simply because so little of the US cares about them.  They desperately need to realize they are not a major league sport, in spite of being the best in the world at what they do. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 30, 2004, 03:59 PM »
None of the Twinkees are running their mouths now, huh??

;D