Author Topic: The Avengers (SPOILERS)  (Read 137483 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers (and sequels)
« Reply #495 on: May 2, 2019, 06:39 AM »
You talking about the girl squad?  Or something else?

Yep, the women. Just imagining the rage some people felt while watching that makes me chuckle

I saw that more as a shot at DC.  Oh, you have Gal Godot as Wonder Woman?  Look, we have a whole crew of female super heroes that are all just as bad ass as your one.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 2, 2019, 02:01 PM »
Not a good weekend for woman-haters this weekend.  Another popular franchise also pissed off the whole "Mary Sue" crowd. 

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 2, 2019, 03:25 PM »
Am I the only person that saw that, thought "hey, all the girls, somebody's going to get twisted at the SJW aspect," and then decided I wasn't offended because it's a movie and I was watching Thanos and his army get pounded?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #498 on: May 2, 2019, 04:24 PM »
I thought it was a bit forced and obvious.  Kinda trying too hard.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Avengers (SPOILERS)
« Reply #499 on: May 2, 2019, 09:00 PM »
Ok time for spoilers...

The scene setting up the final battle with the movie equivalent of a Spread was one of the most glorious moments in geekdom history

All of the heroes coming out of the magic portals vs Thanos and his summoned forces was so badass

My overall most amazing moment had to be Cap wielding Mjolnir...and the follow up of the Spread scene...people were hooting and hollering, amazing work

My minuses...smart Hulk didn’t work for me...I know that happened in the comics, it just wasn’t quite right

I also didn’t like Spidey going back to high school like nothing happened

And the Black Widow or Hawkeye fake outs at the Soul Stone was dumb

Loved the way they brought Gamora back
Loved the AsGuardians or the Galaxy possibilities

Loved Old Cap...and the fact that he was the secret husband all along

Cant wait to see where they go next

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #500 on: May 2, 2019, 09:26 PM »
I would say that’s Cap showing that he was worthy was my favorite part of the film.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 2, 2019, 10:02 PM »
Did the same heroes die in the comics?  I’m curious if it was driven by too high priced talent or if the actors wanted out.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #502 on: May 2, 2019, 11:08 PM »
Ok time for spoilers...

The scene setting up the final battle with the movie equivalent of a Spread was one of the most glorious moments in geekdom history

All of the heroes coming out of the magic portals vs Thanos and his summoned forces was so badass

My overall most amazing moment had to be Cap wielding Mjolnir...and the follow up of the Spread scene...people were hooting and hollering, amazing work

My minuses...smart Hulk didn’t work for me...I know that happened in the comics, it just wasn’t quite right

I also didn’t like Spidey going back to high school like nothing happened

And the Black Widow or Hawkeye fake outs at the Soul Stone was dumb

Loved the way they brought Gamora back
Loved the AsGuardians or the Galaxy possibilities

Loved Old Cap...and the fact that he was the secret husband all along

Cant wait to see where they go next

I believe they are going to address what happened to Peter and his friends in Far From Home.  Remember, it's supposed to be 2023 and that movie takes place right after Endgame.

I also do not believe that Steve Rogers was Samantha Carter's husband all along.  According to the rules they explained about time travel, when he stayed in the past, he created an alternate timeline.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #503 on: May 3, 2019, 07:41 AM »
Did the same heroes die in the comics?  I’m curious if it was driven by too high priced talent or if the actors wanted out.

No, they didn't.  At least not in the original Infinity Gauntlet books.  The decision to write out these characters was entirely contract-based.

But hey - they've been doing this for 10+ years.  I can understand the actors wanting to pursue other opportunities.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 3, 2019, 08:54 AM »
Saw it last night, thought it was really good...not over the top amazing, but very solid. Time travel stories inevitably run into plot contradictions and logical non-sequiturs, but they navigated that stuff well enough. Although I still think the Vision should have been there because Gamora came back and Thanos killed her getting the stone just like he killed Vis getting his stone. Although I suppose if they stole the stone early enough in the timeline it never gets to him in the first place? Ugh. makes my head hurt!

I have to admit I was a little perplexed by the whole Gauntlet switcheroo at the end. For such a pivotal point in the movie it was not clear to me what happened there. Maybe on the second viewing...
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 3, 2019, 09:23 AM »
Gamora coming back was the 2014 version of herself, pre-dating her joining the Guardians.  But the Mind stone?  Based on the rules that the Ancient One set out to Banner, it sounds like Vision would still be gone in the 2023 of the film, but might exist in a branch timeline where Thanos no longer came to Wakanda to take the Mind Stone.... but then there's a paradox, isn't there?  Because Thanos came forward in time from 2014 to 2023, which pre-dates him acquiring any of the Infinity stones.
« Last Edit: May 3, 2019, 09:33 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 3, 2019, 10:07 AM »

No, they didn't.  At least not in the original Infinity Gauntlet books.  The decision to write out these characters was entirely contract-based.

But hey - they've been doing this for 10+ years.  I can understand the actors wanting to pursue other opportunities.

Nothing in the movies is exactly like the comics.  The infinity war stuff is very old versus the modern elements here, different teams and characters involved, etc.  That said, Stark does "die" in the comics quite recently, though no one ever stays dead for long and Cap was "aged" to an old man a few different times in the last decade.  I think Marvel would have happily kept them in the story, but EW eluded to both actors wanting some time away from big budget films for a while. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 3, 2019, 10:44 AM »
If we're ready to talk spoilers, here's some stuff to chew on...

The big battle at the end where the heroes showed up is the coolest thing I have ever seen on film.  Amazing stuff.  I did not catch it on the first viewing, but apparently one of the portals has the Ravagers pop through with a gun-toting Howard the Duck.  I cannot get over how cool it is seeing Ant Man as Giant Man in these battles, stepping on guys and punching the Leviathan.  Cap wielding the Hammer and Captain Marvel taking a headbutt from Thanos without flinching was awesome as well.

I was not surprised by IM's death - I actually thought it would happen in Infinity War.  But I was surprised how emotional that scene and the funeral were.  I don't think there was a dry eye in the theater and that's saying something for an action flick based on costumed superheroes.  I was less impressed with Black Widow's ending.  She always seems to get the slight somehow, though I won't be surprised if they find a way to bring her back.  Alternate timeline, trapped in the Soul Stone Universe, whatever.  Maybe she's hiding out in the Negative Zone waiting for the new Fantastic Four to find her.  Lost in the bigger storyline, it was nice to see Stan make his final appearance as well, and fitting with the end of Phase 3.

Marvel does such a great job laying out the potential for subsequent flicks.  Loki disappears with the tesseract and likely figured out the heroes were time travelling.  That's dangerous.  Thor pairs up with the Guardians?  Falcon's getting cap's shield?  All great ties back to the comics for potential future plot points.  I read "Falcon and the Winter Soldier" will be a new ongoing live action TV series, so looking forward to the continued banter between those two.  Time travel always has consequences - will the divergent realities bring Kang the time traveler into Phase 4?  Visions's stone is gone, but Wakanda was mapping his conscience before he died in Infinity.  His color even drained, so the stage is set for the albino Vision to make a return and drive the Scarlet Witch insane. 

My favorite setup was the potential for the Young Avengers.  Hawkeye's daughter was looking like a great alternate for Kate Bishop's female Hawkeye.  Cassie Lang is old enough to grab some Pym Particles and become Stature.  Morgan Stark can carry the torch as a new Iron Man Lad Girl?  Even young Monica Rambeau was set up in Captain Marvel, the secret identity of Photon (a woman who can turn herself into various forms of light).  Spidey's still young enough to join up as well if they want to go that route.  I'm expecting to see the new Phase 4 baddie set up in the end credits of Far From Home.

I'm also curious to see if they stick to the core timeline/reality.  There is an alternate reality where Thanos never gets the stones, since he jumped into the main timeline.  That means no Gamora or Nebula, but Widow, Vision, Loki, Heimdal, etc. are presumably still alive.  I doubt they will go there anytime soon, but lots of potential to bring back Cap or Iron Man from another reality later on if they want to.  How cool would it be in another decade to have older Iron Man and Cap time/dimension jump back into the storyline?

Overall, I give this a solid five out of five stars.  You have to search pretty hard to find faults with this movie and the payoff for lifelong comic fans was well worth the wait.  Bring on the next 22!
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 3, 2019, 01:56 PM »
Once I learned that a time heist was involved, I pretty much knew that Cap was going to end up staying with Peggy... and once Clint and Natasha arrived on Vormir, I knew she was dead. 

This was a very entertaining movie.  Was surprised by the beginning (Thor killing Thanos) and later with Dad-bod Thor.  It was nice to see the ensemble of various characters throughout the MCU films/show (Jarvis from Agent Carter).  Too bad they couldn't tie in some of the other shows, but that might have been overkill having Quake, Agents May, Coulson, Fitzsimmons, et al show up on screen when they didn't really have anything to do with Thanos in the beginning.

I also liked the nod to the comics with Cap saying "Hail Hydra."

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 6, 2019, 10:50 AM »
New trailer for Spider-Man: Far From Home dropped:
https://youtu.be/Nt9L1jCKGnE