Author Topic: G.I. Joe Toys Thread  (Read 105410 times)

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #450 on: August 14, 2009, 04:44 PM »
Snippets from Hiss at Joecon....

-2010 takes off from end of movie. Joe team fighting Cobra all over the world: arctic, jungle, desert, city. Calling the line Pursuit of Cobra
-working on Snow Job and Cobra Ice Cutter vehicle for arctic setting
-Recondo figure for Jungle setting
-Beachhead for city setting
-Dusty figure for desert setting
-New HISS Tank coming in Bravo wave 2 in 2010, it will feature moving treads!
-Upcoming 3.75" figure reveal:
--2009 figures: showed off City Strike Duke, Desert Viper, Arctic Threat Storm Shadow, Jungle Ripcord, Snake Eyes (resolute style)
--2010 Wave 1: Arctic Threat Duke (comes with snowboard), Snow Job (Arctic Threat), Arctic Threat Destro, Elite Ice Viper, Jungle Assault Storm Shadow, Desert Battle Zartan (wearing hood, facepaint, disguise for Mongolian nomad), Desert Battle Ripcord (new Delta 6 suit for air operations)
--2010 Wave 2: Snake Eyes Arctic Threat, Jungle Assault Duke, Jungle Assault Cobra Commander, Jungle Viper (Jungle Assault), Recondo (Jungle Assault), City Strike Scarlett (basically a ninja Scarlett), City Strike Firefly, Heavy Duty (Desert Battle)
--2010 Vehicles Wave 1: Cobra Ice Cutter, HISS Attack Scout, Cycle Armor with Ashiko, Armored Panther with Outback, Cobra Viper with Alley-Viper Officer, Snow Cat with Whiteout, Sand Serpent with Star Viper (Night Raven repaint)
-Cobra Commander mail away figure coming. New faceplate, crimson breastplate, comes with a small HISS drone, comes with a Cobra stand/staff, comes on a Cobra branded card! No GI Joe cardback, card is a unique Cobra theme!
-No Terrordrome or Flagg are planned for release at this time

No Terrordrome or Flagg?  Such a shocker.  Hiss with working treads?  Sign me up.  Not sure what to think about this Pursuit of Cobra thing.  Guess we're just going to get sprinkles and flecks of vinty modern figs here and there?
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #451 on: August 14, 2009, 06:39 PM »
It will be interesting to see what this all looks like as well, but it sounds like some of it could be pretty cool.  Looking forward to seeing pics to see what the "Pursuit of Cobra" stuff looks like.  I'm guessing the movie line must be doing ok for Hasbro if they are going to continue the general them of it into next year.

Looks like TNI has some pics up.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #452 on: August 15, 2009, 02:04 AM »
Really hard to make out details on that HISS tank, so I brighted it up a bit -

http://www.yakfaceforums.com/Chewie/081509hiss1.jpg

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #453 on: August 15, 2009, 01:07 PM »
That HISS tank looks great.  It could almost work as a Separatist assault tank in the CW line if it were painted blue/gray.  Unfortunately, I don't have the talent to do so (see also the Cobra Gunship I bought saying, "This would make a cool covert insertion Clone ship" and then stuck on a shelf due to my lack of artistic ability).

What are the details on the mailaway Cobra Commander?  It figures that they'd announce a mailaway AFTER I threw away all my UPCs/packaging, and had bought nearly every figure I'd planned on getting.  :-\

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #454 on: August 15, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Saw the new wave of Combat Heroes this morning.  Arctic SE & Ice Viper looked stellar as do their 3 3/4 counterparts, but I'm trying to stay away from the movie stuff.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #455 on: August 15, 2009, 07:38 PM »
I guess I wasn't paying that close attention to realize that TRU still had their 2 for $9.99 sale on Joe figures.  I was in TRU earlier today and picked up the exclusive Firefly and a second Pit Commando.  I haven't opened them yet but the Firefly figure looks really nice.  Is this basedon the Resolute cartoon?  It sort of looks like that style.

Either way, I'm psyched to get him.  I already have a Pit Commando so this was just an extra and well worth the price for the extra equiment.

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #456 on: August 15, 2009, 09:16 PM »

Shadow Tracker.  That is 100% win. 

Here's a question for anyone that's been to the Joe Con; did they sell out of the paradrop figures?  I know they had 1000, which I think includes the 300 they dropped.  Usually the paradrop figure makes it to the online Club store after the event but this year I didn't know if that would happen. 

E...
"I sell the drugs that keep you people from seeing dragons at night." - Gus "Psych"

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #457 on: August 16, 2009, 01:02 AM »
YES!  They announced at the Joe con tonight that next year it will be in Providence, RI!  That means, barring a SW Celebration in April/May, I'll get to go to the Joe convention in 2010.  Nice.

E...

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #458 on: August 16, 2009, 07:18 AM »

Oh, so now they figure out how to sculpt Quinlan Vos' hair!

Not when they made 2 Quinlan Vos figures, but when they make Shadow Tracker.

This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #459 on: August 16, 2009, 05:08 PM »
GI Joe has taken a definate turn that is for sure.  It is a new direction for a lot of characters and as much as I want to sit down and throw a fit, I think I will survive it all.   Even the Robotech Motorcycle think looks ok to me.  I have to remind myself that in 1982 alot of the Joe stuff was very "Sci-fi" stuff.

Things I saw (via Pictures, I sadly did not attend this year) that I really liked..........

The Wal Mart Exclusives (all of them)
The TRU Artic Shipwreck and Artic Doc
Jungle Duke (looks very Nam-ish, but very modern)
Arctic Destro and Artic Duke
The Club Exclusive 3.75 in scale Adventure Team and all the stuff that is going with them.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #460 on: August 16, 2009, 10:59 PM »
I have yet to find a decent GI Joe collecting site...where do you guys recommend I go to see the best pictures from Joe Con?  I've seen most of the stuff at HISSTank.com, but I hate how there's not a gallery and instead you have to click, then click back, then wait for the page to reload, then click.  Is there anywhere that I can just scroll through a bunch of decent pictures?
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline spiderpumpkin

• Jedi Padawan
  • Secto-Viper
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #461 on: August 16, 2009, 11:43 PM »
I have yet to find a decent GI Joe collecting site...where do you guys recommend I go to see the best pictures from Joe Con?  I've seen most of the stuff at HISSTank.com, but I hate how there's not a gallery and instead you have to click, then click back, then wait for the page to reload, then click.  Is there anywhere that I can just scroll through a bunch of decent pictures?

I posted a bunch of pictures but I didn't take any of the Hasbro 2010 figures.  I figured every other site would be posting pictures.  However, I did shoot a few videos of the sales floor including the Hasbro area with some closeups.  Video

Try yojoe.com or theterrordrome.com.  I saw those guys there taking a lot of pictures.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 11:46 PM by spiderpumpkin »

Offline efranks

• Jedi Knight
  • Eric Franks
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #462 on: August 17, 2009, 12:10 AM »
With all due respect to yojoe.com, I've never found their news reporting to be that great.  Great photo archive and checklist info, not the greatest on coverage.  They do have a photo album up for the con and it's a decent album.

I actually found generalsjoes.com to have pretty good coverage and relatively easy to navigate photo slideshows.  Hisstank.com had decent coverage but I agree, they don't have the best photo album software around.

I've said this before about other toy lines in general, not just Joe, but we're mostly spoiled in the SW hobby with the websites that cover the related events and toys.  I'm not sure why the discrepency with Joe, which is just about as big as SW as a hobby.  Even with some good sites to pick through, good luck finding a really good site on the 12" Joe hobby.

Some of the better sites:
joebattlelines.com
theterrordrome.com
yojoe.com
hisstank.com
generalsjoes.com

There were some people covering the con via Twitter that didn't do a bad job but the couple of feeds I found didn't seem to be affiliated with any of the above sites, they were smaller personal blogs or just Twitter feeds. 

For example, itsalltrue.net had a good Twitter feed going and has some nice review photos of the International Jump Jet 2-pack.  But they seem to be a general toy site as much as a Joe site.

Spiderpumpkin put up some good photos, though, and I think he was the first place I was able to find info on the souvenir sets and their prices.  Spider, I don't know if you work for any of the larger sites, but you should.

E...

Offline Paul

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #463 on: August 17, 2009, 12:22 AM »
Well I am glad you asked Ryan....look for JoeDefender.com coming soon. (notice a themes?) Seriously.  With the exact same attitude we have here only Joe-ish.

But of the sites mentioned, I like Generalsjoes.com and Joebattlelines.com.  My guilty pleasure is the HissTank but the navigation on that site drives me crazy.  But DESTRO over there is a good guy for sure.

Joe has a hard time because while SW might have Vintage vs. OT vs. PT.. Joe has so many incarnations and divisions that people can't get along with themselves much less each other.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
G.I. Joe Toys Thread
« Reply #464 on: August 17, 2009, 12:46 AM »
Awesome, because that means JesseDefender can't be far behind, and I can get all the Jesse James news that's fit to print!

Seriously, though...that will be awesome.

Thanks for the tips, by the way.  GeneralsJoes and JoeBattleLines are okay.
"Really?  Sorry."