Author Topic: ReAction Lines  (Read 174451 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: ReAction Lines
« Reply #420 on: May 5, 2016, 10:24 AM »
Yeah, I get the small company thing, I get maximizing profits... but I don't think you don't max profits by only making 500 of a given figure and then letting the secondary market jack the prices up.  I suppose that's designed to whip compulsive collectors into a frenzy, and it works.

Also, I know Funko's smaller than Hasbro (who isn't?) but I don't know how long the small company argument is going to fly with them.  I don't have anything to back this up, but based on the number of different characters they produce and how often I see them, I'm willing to bet they sell a TON of those Pop Vinyl figures too.  They have a lot of licenses and produce a lot of product, again I'm not basing this on anything, but I feel like they have graduated, or will soon be graduating to mid-sized toy company status.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #421 on: May 5, 2016, 11:08 AM »
I agree McMetal, they shouldn't be charging for product that isn't available.  That's meh.

Regarding them as a company, they're selling basic stuff for relatively cheap (these days).  And they're selling limited exclusives for more $ which kinda makes sense...  I think they're not Jakks, or Playmates size, which I'd label mid-size, so to me they're still a smaller company.  But they're bigger than Hiya or Ori Toys, I believe.  They also are selling figures for half what those companies are selling theirs though too, and cranked out a LOT of all new sculpts with fairly minimal re-use of anything outside of the exclusives.  Then again Ori and Hiya are imports which adds to their costs, comparatively speaking.

In my mind they're just doing what they can to compete in the "toys for adults" world, which relies on rarity/collectability and the balance of that with a price their base can live with.  Same issues Hasbro has, just they are focused more on kids and keeping prices lower.

The ReAction stuff is rooted in collecting it all I think, and the more popular ones seemed to be where they dug in with exclusives, like Alien or Predator or Jaws...  I guess to me this just makes sense for them, if they're keeping this line fairly limited overall.  It's like they're trying to make these mythical toy lines of old, like vintage Star Wars, and include the Amanaman and Vlix element by having some "rare" stuff.  It's an element of "vintage collecting" I feel they're aiming for, while maximizing tooling and still trying not to piss too many folks off by making it deco variations rather than something totally new (for the most part anyway).  But even something like that Alien playset, they'd only do in resin unless they hit a high order number to justify cost of tooling, which I don't believe they did hot that mark iirc.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 5, 2016, 11:46 AM »
That is crummy if you're not used to it.  I collect Transformers Masterpiece figures, most of which come from smaller third party outfits.  It's actually the standard in that world for them to throw out a date, then miss it by several months due to factory delays, shipping problems, design changes, etc.  If they say April, you can almost certainly plan for August. 

With some sites you have to pay up front, others you don't pay until it ships.  I get the complaints with pre-paying, but it's a minor issue for me as I'm spending it either way.  May as well lock it in now and now worry that I won't have it when the product is finally available.  I've actually gotten to the point where I have so much stuff back ordered or pre ordered that I'm getting a regular stream of new stuff coming in to offset stuff that won't be available for weeks or months down the road.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #423 on: May 16, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 28, 2016, 10:18 AM »
These have finally hit an attractive clearance price at Target. I picked up some extra 5th Element figures yesterday for $2.98 a pop. Not quite as good as the $2 blowout at Barnes and Noble, but close.  ;D

Also grabbed a Terminator and Gracie Law this morning. Not sure what I will ultimately end up doing with these guys but I find that price hard to pass up for the value.

Really wish I could find some Gremlins because that's the one ReAction line I never picked up despite some interest.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: June 15, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Wow, that's creepy.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: June 15, 2016, 06:01 PM »
Please and thank you.  ;D

I saw some recent prototype pics of some of the other characters and they looked amazing. Can't wait for these guys!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #428 on: June 15, 2016, 06:16 PM »
Yeah that's cool as heck Jeff. :)

Not a huge Dark Crystal guy but that's a nifty toy.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: June 17, 2016, 09:13 PM »
Cloverfield vs Elfquest boxed set.

Oh, wait...it's Dark Crystal.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: July 8, 2016, 08:58 AM »
Got my shipping notice for the Japanese-branded 3-pack and Carrying Case... 8)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: July 9, 2016, 05:42 PM »
A few questions...

01:  Is the Landstrider set the only known SDCC exclusive at this point? 
02:  Do we know if it'll be available anywhere else?
03:  Do any of you happen to have an extra of the glow-in-the-dark Xenomorph from the carrying case set you'd like to sell?

04:  That set is the same as the last one with just packaging changes right?

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: July 9, 2016, 05:51 PM »
A few questions...

01:  Is the Landstrider set the only known SDCC exclusive at this point? 
02:  Do we know if it'll be available anywhere else?
03:  Do any of you happen to have an extra of the glow-in-the-dark Xenomorph from the carrying case set you'd like to sell?

So far yeah, that is the only ReAction exclusive they have revealed. I keep thinking there will be something else, but not so far. Not sure about availability outside of the con but almost all their exclusives have gone up in the Super7 Webstore at some point.

And yeah, the Japanese 3-pack is essentially the same version of the previous 3-pack, but I think they lightened up the paint deco this time around. Not quite as day glo neony.

04:  That set is the same as the last one with just packaging changes right?

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2016, 12:29 AM »
Didn't have time to post these in here yesterday, and yes I know they are not technically ReAction, but I saw that Super7 has another wave of He-Man figures coming to SDCC!

http://super7hq.com/news/motu-375-action-figures-wave-2-at-sdcc-2016

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2016, 08:55 AM »
They are also doing an 18" Warrior Alien "lost prototype" as an homage to the classic Kenner figure...just read about that last night.