Author Topic: LFL/Disney Announce New Star Wars Trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson  (Read 8740 times)

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
Re: LFL/Disney Announce New Star Wars Trilogy helmed by Rian Johnson
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2020, 03:46 PM »
During the press junket for THE LAST JEDI, director Rian Johnson has also been fielding questions about the new trilogy that he's been signed to write and produce.  And indications are that it's not going to be an Old Republic type of story.

So what's the status on this? Is Johnson still involved?
Macklunkey!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 09:54 AM »
How well did Knives Out do?  That would be a god indicator if Disney is planning to move forward with Rian Johnson or not.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2020, 09:58 AM »
How well did Knives Out do?

Pretty well, I'd say -  $306 million box office vs $40 budget; Oscar nomination for best original screenplay; 97% critic, 92% audience at Rotten Tomato; sequel has been greenlit.

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2020, 11:37 AM »
How well did Knives Out do?  That would be a god indicator if Disney is planning to move forward with Rian Johnson or not.

I saw it. The audience was very well entertained. Knives Out bodes well for Johnson wherever he goes from here.

Not relevant ... but I have a tough time distinguishing Christopher Plummer from Max von Sydow.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2020, 12:21 PM »

Pretty well, I'd say -  $306 million box office vs $40 budget; Oscar nomination for best original screenplay; 97% critic, 92% audience at Rotten Tomato; sequel has been greenlit.

"Scheduling" could very well be cited if LFL or Disney deems a personnel change is warranted.  If Rian Johnson's availability is called into question because of a Knives Out sequel?  Oh well!

I think TLJ was great.  It challenged the audience which I thought was a good thing, and I found it refreshing.  But just as much as I found that movie really broke some new ground and defied story expectations, there were a lot of fans who wanted a story that would make them feel more comfortable.  I don't see Rian Johnson as that kind of filmmaker who wants to appease an audience.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 01:17 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2020, 12:38 PM »
I hope if they green light something for Rian Johnson that its off on its own a bit from the existing Star Wars characters. 

I really like his movies, except for TLJ.  His creativity is fantastic, but I didn't think he did a good job of fitting in with the existing Star Wars lore very well.

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2020, 04:29 PM »

"Scheduling" could very well be cited if LFL or Disney deems a personnel change is warranted.  If Rian Johnson's availability is called into question because of a Knives Out sequel?  Oh well!

I think TLJ was great.  It challenged the audience which I thought was a good thing, and I found it refreshing.  But just as much as I found that movie really broke some new ground and defied story expectations, there were a lot of fans who wanted a story that would make them feel more comfortable.  I don't see Rian Johnson as that kind of filmmaker who wants to appease an audience.

I'm just now considering that Canto Bight was mix of the Cantina and Cloud city. TLJ is almost reverse ESB with a fancy setting that is above it all near the start of the movie and a big ground battle at the end.
Macklunkey!