Author Topic: The MCU post Endgame.  (Read 12319 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
The MCU post Endgame.
« on: January 15, 2021, 07:31 PM »
Other than Spider-Man: Far From Home, which I consider an epilogue to Endgame, we have our first foray into the MCU with Wandavision.  I won't go into spoilers yet so everyone has a chance to watch it, but man there is a lot going on in just the first two episodes.

This could be one hell of a ride!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: The MCU post Endgame.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 02:46 PM »
I'm not a hard core Marvel nerd like I am a Star Wars nerd, so I'm going to need one of you to explain to me all the things I missed in the first two episodes of WandaVision.

Overall I thought it was just okay, but then again I may have missed a bunch of stuff.  Saw some Stark Industries and Hydra Easter eggs, but nothing obvious enough for me to understand what is going on.

Kinda cool how they're spoofing old sitcom style shows, but that is going to wear off pretty soon if they don't get something more clever and interesting.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27 AM »
I haven't watched the show yet.  I only watched the "Legends" featurettes on Disney+, which were basically a giant clip reel for both Wanda and Vision.  Conceptually this show comes across as a little weird when you watch the trailers and promos.  But I got the sense that this takes place in the two years between the events of Civil War and Infinity War.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27 PM »
Nick, it's definitely weird....but there's a purpose behind it, at least that's the sense I get from watching.

Also, I'm pretty sure this is happening post Endgame.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 01:32 PM »
Pretty sure I read that this is post Endgame as well.  One of the big mysteries is why Vision is still alive in the post Endgame era.  I haven't read up on anything from the show and Marvel is really good about keeping spoilers under wraps anyway, but here are some potential things going on from the comics.

#1 - In the comics, Wanda wields chaos magic.  Its often manifested as telekinesis or power bolts, but chaos magic is really an ability to change probabilities.  She's making really improbable things 100% probable.  It's unlikely that a glass of water would instantly appear in front of you - Wanda's power can make it happen.  If you play that out to the extremes, she can basically bend reality.  Stuff like bringing Vision back to life or immaculate conception are within the realm of those abilities, though I don't think she can create souls.  She uses the power to have twin boys in the comics even though Vision can't produce children.  I'm questioning whether that's really Vision or just a memory-based version of him based on her whims.  Anyway, she has bent reality in the comics during times of extreme stress, so losing Vision in endgame (along with Stark and earlier her brother, etc.) might have pushed her over the edge.

#2 - There is a recent storyline in the comics about a place called Pleasantville.  SHIELD gets ahold of a fragment of the cosmic cube (AKA the tesseract, AKA the Space Stone) and uses it to create a sort of jail for super criminals.  Rather than locking them up where they are focused on escape, they transform the bad guys into regular townspeople with different identities who have no idea of their actual powers.  Given a simple life in a monitored, secure town that never has any conflict, it works to keep them separated from society for a while.  There could be something similar going on where someone has locked Wanda up in old TV show reality to keep her from bending the real world.

#3 - There are a LOT of Easter Eggs on the show.  The toy she finds is painted to match Iron Man's armor and has the logo of S.W.O.R.D. on it.  SWORD is like a space defense version of SHIELD to protect against extraterrestrial threats.  (Think CIA vs. FBI) Their "Sword in a circle" logo shows up on the desk and a monitor of whoever is monitoring Wanda at the end of the first episode and I think its on the bee-keeper guy's back as well.  They could be trying to find her or they could be the ones who locked her up, but they're definitely involved with the logo showing up multiple times now. This is probably just me, but I thought Bee Keeper guy also looked a little like an A.I.M. scientist.  AIM was another bad guy group trying to harness various elements of science and magic for world domination and they were founded by...Baron Von Strucker.

#4 - There is a commercial in each episode, the first featuring Stark Industries (her parents were killed by a Stark bomb) and the second featuring Hydra, and more specifically Strucker (The briefly seen bad guy who experimented on Wanda and Quicksilver in Age of Ultron and founder of AIM).  Those could be red herrings or just aspects of Wanda's imagination or sources of pain from her past.  Or either of those groups could be applying tech/magic to keep Wanda imprisoned. 

#5 - All the numbers in the show map to significant numbers like comic book issues.  I didn't catch these at first, but saw a video highlighting some of them.  Their house number 2800 could refer to Earth 2800, an alternate reality in the comics where the Avengers formed a little differently (more like the movies).  The last 4 digits of the phone number on the for-sale-sign of the house they're moving into are 0125.  Issue #125 of the Avengers is when they battle Thanos.  The time on the Hydra watch is 2:42 - issue 242 is where Vision's body is repaired and he is reunited with Wanda.  That comic is also a lead into the original Secret Wars, where an entity known as the Beyonder teleports a number of Marvel heroes and villains to a place called Battleworld to see who will win.  The Beyonder is an Alien (time to call SWORD) and has reality altering powers (so would want to keep Wanda in check).  Heck, even the dinner date on the 23rd matches the number of Marvel Movies that precede WandaVision.  Clearly a lot of though went into creating hints and easter eggs that will hopefully pay off as the show unfolds.

#6 - The neighbor, Agnes, is likely a witch name Agatha Harkness.  In the comics, Auntie Agatha is a mentor to the Scarlet Witch and teaches her to user her powers.  She's sometimes helpful and sometimes a villain, so not sure how they're going to use her.  She does have a cackle like a witch in one of the previews.  In the comics, she wipes the knowledge of Wanda's kids from her mind to keep her from going insane about losing them.  She might be the one controlling the TV reality or helping keep Wanda trapped, even as she mentor's Wanda about how to navigate Westview.

I've even considered that this isn't Wanda's doing, but Vision's.  He was the one carrying around the Mind Stone.  Did the destruction of the Mind Stone cause a pocket reality where Vision is still alive?  Maybe Wanda went looking for him and Vision/It is blocking her memories because it doesn't want to let her go.  Cap would have returned the Mind Stone to the Hydra elevator guys, right?  Did they catch on that something wasn't right and use it to muck things up?  So many different possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 01:33 PM by JediJman »
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 1, 2021, 11:03 AM »
This last episode was awesome!  Lots of answers, even more new questions, and some great character introductions!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 2, 2021, 11:11 AM »
Seeing "The Blip" as it came to be known in 'Spider-man - Far From Home' in this most recent episode was a big change from what we saw in the Spidey movie. 

There are still a huge number of questions related to the storyline of this series.  And I think we had to expect that a lot of this could have to do with Wanda's powers.  I'm wondering if the show might explore a bit of Vision's comic book storyline where his AI wound up inhabiting the computer at the Avengers mansion?  It could be a way to bring the character back.

Feedback

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 2, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Man, for a person who's just not versed in the comics, this series is very tough to watch.  I just don't catch the subtle references at all. 

I was hoping for some good action, and I'll hang on in the hopes it comes.  The sit-com schtick has grown old, and didn't take long.  I'm not ripping the series by any means, just with my tastes, preferences, and background knowledge make it really hard to watch and not be bored.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 3, 2021, 08:59 AM »
Two cool moments from the latest episode...  Woo used a card trick, a callback to his interaction with Scott Lang in AM2.  They also opened the door for the FF by introducing the idea of cosmic rays.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2021, 10:44 AM »
Lots to decompress in this newest episode.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2021, 05:55 PM »
Seeing "The Blip" as it came to be known in 'Spider-man - Far From Home' in this most recent episode was a big change from what we saw in the Spidey movie. 

How so?

I love that they wrote that into the storyline and seeing Monica "reintegrate" was really cool.  I geek out when all this stuff connects together.  I'm totally biased towards this show because the Marvel back stories were a huge part of my childhood.  Just seeing things like the original costumes on Halloween or the accelerated development and growth of Tommy and Billy already makes the show a hit for me.  It definitely got off to a slow start, but I haven't hung on a new show like this since early seasons of Walking Dead. 
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 11:10 AM »
Episode 7 was awesome.  There's a mid credit scene in this one.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2021, 12:20 PM »

How so?

I love that they wrote that into the storyline and seeing Monica "reintegrate" was really cool.  I geek out when all this stuff connects together.  I'm totally biased towards this show because the Marvel back stories were a huge part of my childhood.  Just seeing things like the original costumes on Halloween or the accelerated development and growth of Tommy and Billy already makes the show a hit for me.  It definitely got off to a slow start, but I haven't hung on a new show like this since early seasons of Walking Dead. 

In Far From Home the people who vanished in the snap just re-appeared very quickly.  In WandaVision Monica Rambeau re-appears in what looks like the reverse of the disintegrations that we saw in Infinity War.  It looks more dramatic, definitely.  Just not like what we saw in Far From Home.

It was cool to see where Monica's story arc went yesterday.  It looks like they're working towards the Monica Rambeau version of Captain Marvel now
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 12:21 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2021, 11:28 AM »
Overall, I really enjoyed WandaVision.  Although there were things I expected to happen in the finale that didn't (from what I've seen a lot had to be dropped due to the rona), I thought it was a great overall story....which oddly happens before Spider-Man Far From Home.

This was a nice set-up for Doctor Strange II and I'm excited to see that one!

Now bring on Falcon & The Winter Soldier!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2021, 10:44 AM »
So we move from WandaVision into Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

I think this show is going to resonate more with the non-comic book fans because it's more grounded that WandaVision (not to disparage that show at all....I thought it was great!)

I won't get into it now after only one viewing and not wanting to spoil anything...but the pilot is a great set-up episode and gives us a better understanding of the world post blip.
This is the way.

I have spoken.