Author Topic: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023  (Read 6811 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Saw this story this morning...

Hasbro to Phase Out Plastic from New Toy and Game Packaging

Hasbro "plans to begin phasing out plastic from new product packaging, including plastic elements like polybags, elastic bands, shrink wrap, window sheets and blister packs. The company’s ambition is to eliminate virtually all plastic in packaging for new products by the end of 2022."

I have lots of questions...

How do you have carded figures with no plastic/blister packs?  ??? 

What does this mean for Black Series 6" window boxes?  Open windows?  Closed boxes where you can't see the figure's paint job?  Some kind of 100% vegetable polyfilm (hat won't hold up over time) in the place of the plastic window?

Or maybe it's phrased "virtually all" so they can still use a little plastic for carded figures?  Or maybe it won't matter because they already know they aren't renewing the Star Wars license in 2020 and don't need to worry about carded bubble/blister pack figures.   :-X >:D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro to go "Virtually Plastic Free" by 2023
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:20 AM »
Maybe it just means they're switching to a corn-based, biodegradable blister or something like that? 

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:47 AM »
****, can I finally just buy them loose? I'd be fine with that. I shudder to think how much landfill space I've taken with just my collection.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:06 AM »
****, can I finally just buy them loose? I'd be fine with that. I shudder to think how much landfill space I've taken with just my collection.

I'd be all about it if Hasbro Pulse wanted to offer a loose option for purchases.  As long as the accessories and figures are there, I don't need any of the rest.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:47 AM »
Maybe it just means they're switching to a corn-based, biodegradable blister or something like that?

March 2018 Hasbro announced they were going to start using plant-based bio-polyethylene terephthalate (PET) for blister packs and plastic windows in its product packaging starting in 2019. The bioPET plastic they are using is made with 30 percent plant-based material (ag waste).

It certainly could be that the current 30% plantblend PET is enough wiggle room to not be "plastic" and it's no change.  That brings up a whole bunch of questions though - are plant-based PETs going to last as long?  Will plant PET bubbles yellow/discolor faster over time?  Will they degrade at a rate that makes carded collecting pointless?  They might be great for the environment but are they great for collecting packaged toys?

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 02:47 PM »
Judging from my local Walmarts and Targets, they're phasing out packaging by not offering any product for sale to begin with  :P
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Judging from my local Walmarts and Targets, they're phasing out packaging by not offering any product for sale to begin with  :P

+1

Seriously though, I think Hasbro already does a great job on the recycling / eco-friendly front.  All of their plastic is recyclable and their packaging seems fairly minimal.

I compare that to things that Disney sources themselves (e.g. ToyBox figures) and most of that does not have recyclable plastic and seems to use a lot more packaging.

Its nice that they're striving for this, but yeah, it might mean keeping things carded in bio-plastic means your bubble isn't going to last more than 10 years.  Maybe we're going to need vacuum sealed Star Cases now to keep the bubble from degrading.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Interesting to see if that actually extends to the bubbles/Windows on current toys. I mean, they mention it, but is there an action figure out there that doesn't use that in some shape or form? I can't imagine basically buying things blind boxed all of the time. I mean, I love the vintage collection cardbacks, but outside of that I don't know that I care. Save the world, and minimize packaging. The face printing may take out some of the guesswork as to the quality of a figure, but there could still be errors/problems.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14 AM »
is there an action figure out there that doesn't use that in some shape or form?

The closest thing I can think of are the Playskool Heroes and Imaginext type stuff where there is a plastic tray but no bubble and things are just strapped on with ties.

Hasbro also had those cheapo international ~5.5" figures in little boxes with no plastic window/bubble in the packaging.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:26 AM by Jeff »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 08:39 PM »
With the rumors of the Triple Force Friday figure offerings consisting of 5" figures, a wave of Vintage Collection figures, and a wave of Black Series figures...it does make me wonder what we will see in the way of vehicles. I know there are some things rumored for the Galaxy of Adventures line, and two possible Vintage Collection vehicles (Luke's X-Wing?), but it would be strange if that was it. One of the main draws of the 3 3/4 scale in the first place was the ability to interact with vehicles and environments. But, at the same time, I can hardly remember a vehicle release since the Force Awakens that didn't get clearanced, so maybe they don't hold the interest of kids much anymore.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 08:56 PM »
Packaging will be made out of die-cast metal.

In terms of the future, Hasbro is like Disney with the movies
"We need a new generation of buyers to sell Star Wars to and we will either pretend that market  exists or try to will it into being!"
But if such a market exists, unlike the sand people,  they may not be back and probably not in greater numbers.

GEORGE SOLD YOU A LEMON AND YOU TRYIN' TA MAKE BLUE MILK.  :P
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:03 PM by Scockery »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 02:23 PM »
I've seen some people bring up the foreign (Japan?) boxed figures they had during the vintage era. Basically a cardboard box with a picture of the figure/character on the outside. It is funny how we have all this concern about paint apps, etc these days but in general it didn't seem to matter back then. Heck, even today if you are picking up vintage figures - aside from play wear things are pretty consistent overall. Simpler, of course, but very consistent from figure to figure outside of more intentional variations.

I really only collect carded with the vintage collection figures, and that is primarily OT ones (I also try to grab an extra of Han and Chewie each time they are released). I also feel that the Vintage Collection probably has a timer on it at this point to either end or be "rested" again. I love those cardbacks so much, but I don't know if they hold as much meaning to those who didn't grow up with them, and that is a slowly shrinking group. Other than that, I guess I could are less if they minimized packaging if it helped the environment or even lowered costs/prices somehow. I think the recent Black Series SDCC exclusives have essentially been plastic free, so we know it can work there. The 3 3/4" line might be more challenging, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53 AM »
Saw this story this morning...

Hasbro to Phase Out Plastic from New Toy and Game Packaging

Hasbro "plans to begin phasing out plastic from new product packaging, including plastic elements like polybags, elastic bands, shrink wrap, window sheets and blister packs. The company’s ambition is to eliminate virtually all plastic in packaging for new products by the end of 2022."

I have lots of questions...

Going to drag this one up for discussion as it was a talking point during the latest Hasbro Quarterly Financial review.  They shared an image for an example -

Still waiting to see what the future holds for "eliminating virtually all plastic" from Star Wars figure packaging and what type of impact that will have on boxed/packaged collectors going forward...

edit:  I guess as a reminder of where Star Wars packaging stands, I should also add this Yakface link where Jayson scooped some surveys Hasbro sent out about possible "no plastic" Black Series packages...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 11:02 AM by Jeff »

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2021, 11:22 AM »
I do commend Hasbro for their green efforts.  I really do like that all of their current packaging is recyclable.  When I open a pile of figures, nearly all of the packaging can go in to the recycling bin.

There are other manufacturers and lines that do not put this effort in.  As an example I just opened a couple of Disney's ToyBox figures and the plastic used is not labeled as recyclable.  I don't believe their Droid Factory figure packages have recyclable plastic either.

The only thing I worry about with eliminating plastic is how they'll keep all the small accessories/guns from getting lost/stolen.  Hopefully they'll still rubber band / plastic tie down a bunch of these, but I hope this doesn't end up screwing with their accessory choice as it'll be hard to do small round things and secure them.  Or maybe they'll put them in a cardboard box as part of the package and you just won't be able to see them.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2021, 01:09 PM »
Maybe they're planning on plant based plastics instead of petroleum based plastics?  Like, biodegradable still made out of corn?