Author Topic: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys  (Read 8854 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2022, 11:40 PM »
Good grief.  I live in Chicago... can I just go pick it up?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2022, 07:59 AM »
Good grief.  I live in Chicago... can I just go pick it up?

I'm sure they wouldn't allow that, it would spoil the mystery. This is definitely a sausage where you don't want to see how/where it was made.

Online EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 15, 2022, 07:09 AM »
Where is the Chicago to Georgia info coming from?  For what it is worth, my items shipped from PA.  I believe the main guy from the site is from PA.  From what I have been able to gather, it seems this is a business run out of the home and probably just him and maybe one or two other people who are shipping items out via USPS twice a week.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2022, 07:41 AM »
Where is the Chicago to Georgia info coming from?  For what it is worth, my items shipped from PA.  I believe the main guy from the site is from PA.  From what I have been able to gather, it seems this is a business run out of the home and probably just him and maybe one or two other people who are shipping items out via USPS twice a week.

They had a call-in show featuring the guy who runs TFSB and the guy who sculpted the Bantha on Retroblasting's channel right after said channel lambasted the product in a review. In it they talked about their "factory" and when pressed said that it was located in the Chicago area.

Chris, the main guy, lives in Pennsylvania, and he handles all the non-Bantha orders. Then there's Kevin, the guy who sculpted the Bantha and took over that project when things stalled out with the Chinese factories and Chris had decided that he was just going to scrap it. At that point it became kind of its own entity under TFSB and they ship out from him in Georgia.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 07:48 AM by Muftak »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2022, 10:40 PM »
Hoping that all this Stan Solo Creations stuff goes more smoothly, I bit and ordered Garindan, Slave Leia, and Oola.  It’s pricey, but I like the idea and they look as good as what Hasbro is making, and Hasbro doesn’t seem interested in making new OT characters.

Also, I couldn’t help but notice that www.stansolocreationsusa.com is alive and well, but www.stansolocreations.com was taken down for copyright infringement… like it has an FBI splash page now with warrant info any everything, so it sounds serious. 

Anyone know the story there and if it’s only a matter of time before he gets shut down again?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 09:27 AM by Rob »

Online EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2022, 06:36 AM »
Looks like it is possible the site without the usa in the url expired and someone took it and is redirecting it to a shady site, at least that is what I'm getting through my work firewall.  It won't let me get to the site due to high risk potential.  From what I have gathered, selling items in low quantities gets around copyright stuff, but that could just be hopeful thinking on the side of the sellers.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2022, 06:05 PM »
Seems like he’s in the UK and has someone mailing US orders…

All this said, I just got the Garindan that I ordered and I actually really like it.  I’m in any time he wants to sell a custom figure of a never-before-made character.  I’m probably going to order the Black Death Star droid and the ghost Obi-Wan and Yoda next.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2022, 08:10 PM »
Stan Solo is run by Chris Smith (it's named after his son Stanley Smith,) who is in the UK. He creates all the figures and gets them produced in the Chinese factories. In the US his main distributor is John Kelly who runs the US Etsy shop and the StanSoloCreationsUSA site.

I haven't bought from the site or the etsy, but on eBay. Over there, John Kelly is in charge of the OneBad07 account. There is also another guy under FoxFireSales who imports figures direct from Stan Solo into the US to resell. I have bought from him the most.

As far as "new" figures, I have the Black Chrome DSD and the Stormtrooper Han Solo. Both are really good. I also have the repro Blue Snaggletooth (first figure I got from SS) Luke Skywalker Stormtrooper, and the vinyl-caped Jawa, since I don't ever expect to own originals of those in my lifetime.

Of note, Chris just this week announced that he is partnering with FoxFireSales to do a run of Repro Marion figures from Raiders of the Lost Ark which will be available any day now, and probably Indiana Jones in the near future. FoxFireSales is going to sell them loose in the US, while Stan Solo will sell them carded out of the UK.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2022, 08:33 PM »
Ah, thanks for the backstory.  I feel like I'm doing a lot of catching up here, but that all makes sense.  I did see the FirefoxSales stuff on eBay and almost bought Leia and Oola there, but it was ultimately $20 less to buy right from the USA website.  I did find his Instagram now, so I saw the Marion... I don't know if I'm interested in any reproduction stuff, even if I never get around to buying originals like I'd like.  I'm lucky enough that I bought all my Last 17 and Blue Snaggletooth back when a pristine Yak Face and Blue Snag were like $150.  The only reproduction thing I have where an actual original exists, is a $6 vinyl cape for the Jawa.  I coudn't justify $800 or $1000 (last time I looked, no idea what they go for now) for just that when I could display the same thing for next to nothing.

New figures though in the old style though, I'm super into that at this quality level. 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2022, 09:42 PM »
I will never foget my disappointment as a 5 year old kid finally finding a Jawa figure at the local Toys R Us and completing my Star Wars collection (of 12 figures!) only to find it was wearing that cloth robe. I hated that they had changed it, and I never saw a vinyl robed one as a kid. Last year when I got the repro it was like a tiny scar on my psyche had finally been repaired.

In my 20s and 30s I wasn't worried about collecting the actual Kenner figures, I had pretty much had them all as a kid (even Blue Snags, who I believe is still in my parents backyard, buried where my sandbox used to be!) and wasn't looking to recollect them. Then I thought, well I'll get good copies of the Original 12, and okay the first 21...plus the bounty hunters, of course...and now I use them in advertising and sales (and accordingly write off the purchases as business expenses!) so I find myself justifying any figure that works for a Death Star scene, or Cloud City characters, or the Hoth figures...so yeah, I am falling back into collecting the Kenner stuff as I near 50, and trying to do so on a budget with no real concern about whether they are repro or not -- I seem to find lots of originals in good condition (weapons be damned!) for far less than the Stan Solos cost, but the likes of an Imperial Gunner might need to be from him.

As far as all the straight-up Repros, a couple of the first figures he did were the Blue Snag and Yak Face, and the violently anti-repro people were so up in arms about it and being really brutal and nasty to him. So his response was basically "Screw you, I'm going to make a point of it to repro the entire Last 17 just because you are being such idiots." But he has always said his real passion in it was getting to the never-before-made-figures which he seems to be getting back to now.

Even there, look no further than the fact that once he did General Lando from the Last 17, he also made a version of him in movie-accurate colors. And he repurposed Amanaman with Darth Maul-like red and black Sith tattoos to an original character he calls Amaulaman. And as you said, he made Force Ghost Ben and Yoda in the matching style of the Kenner Anakin once that figure came up. So even as he took his revenge detour, he was still using it to make new stuff and not just repros.

He has done lots of astromechs and protocol droids, though the protocol droids have mostly dried up now. And he has a really nice looking Droids cartoon version of R5-D4, if you are into the Droids line.

And at the end of the day Hasbro could be cranking any of this stuff out for $10-$15 a pop and totally eat his lunch but they don't and most of us are resigned to the fact that they never will.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2022, 02:54 PM »
I just went ahead and ordered a Stan Solo Bantha on his UK website.  They're marked as sold out on the US site, but the shipping from the UK was like $14, so what the hell. 

The three year anniversary of my TFSB order was two weeks ago and I'm not holding my breath.  I'll just sell whichever one looks less interesting to me.   

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2022, 01:23 PM »
The Fans Strike Back posted new information on your long-delayed Bantha, Rob. This is getting even more convoluted:

-NEW! Bantha 2.0:  The factory commissioned to produce the first run of Banthas were not able to produce them in a satisfactory timeframe, and in the manner agreed upon by both companies.

**sidenote: one of the advantages of casting the Bantha the way we did (resin plastic vs. PLA plastic), in addition to giving the Bantha the long-term strength that Kevin wanted…was that we controlled the moulds. Had we gone the other route, the moulds would be non-transferrable, retained by the factory, and their property. This is industry standard for China, USA, everywhere…**

So, we have taken the moulds to a new company that will be filling the remaining orders. Also, we have maximized the transition time by working with Kevin on an updated Bantha that will be our ultimate and final version, that we are calling Bantha 2.0! Features include:

-dual-spring trapdoor
-redesigned saddle latch
-redesigned leg hinge system
-enhanced sculpt details
-more Bantha-accurate black color eye (pupil) detail
-pads on bottom of feet now textured instead of smooth
-misc inner and outer Bantha body/shell improvements

(see pics for some of the updates) Please keep in mind these are pre-production photos, and we will post additional images from the factory as production goes. The trapdoor will have 2 springs (instead of the original 1 on the Dewback) for added long term quality. The saddle latch will also now mimic the Dewback with an easy to use loop, and the metal pin is no longer needed. The legs will now be on a tighter “hinge” system, that was designed into the mould to eliminate even intentional wobbliness and instability. You will no longer be able to recreate these issues even if you tried to. For added Bantha realism, the eye pupil will now be colored black. All of these and more have been painstakingly added to ensure the Bantha is the best it’s ever been.

So how do you get the new one? Everyone who has yet to receive their Bantha will automatically be getting the new version, (loose or boxed) at no additional cost. Even if you purchased at the reduced price, or took the customer loyalty reward, you will still get the new Bantha. Also because the Bantha replacement program was so infrequently used (98% have opted against it—showing the true value of the Bantha), we are phasing out that option. Additionally, when extra Banthas become available for general sale, we will be going back to the original prices.

Also please note——-we have perfect record of where the shipping que stands, and NO ONE will lose their place in line.

In closing, Kevin (Bantha creator) is THRILLED to be able to offer this new Bantha to everyone, and we share his sentiments. We cant wait to get them out to everyone.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Good ******* grief.  It’s been three years at this point, what’s another six months if it’s an improved version…

That said, I have a preorder for the Stan Solo one now too, so I’ll either have both versions or will just sell whichever one I don’t like as much.

If the new version really is nicer, that kind of sucks for the people who already got one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2022, 01:33 PM by Rob »

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2022, 12:05 AM »
Got my vintage style Slave Leia from Stan Solo and it looks amazing.  Pricey for sure, but these guys got it to my house in like 48 hours.  I'd order from them again - maybe when I get my annual bonus from work...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2022, 09:46 AM »
My annual bonus is small, but I did get a promotion and a large raise in June, so I spent a small fortune on Stan Solo stuff this past few months getting caught up before more stuff is gone.  Garindan, Slave Leia, Oola, Ghost Obi-Wan and Yoda, the Black Death Star Droid, Droids Threepio, the Bantha, and maybe 8 or so astromechs…if it was in the movies and I didn’t already have a real one, I bought it.  The only thing I can’t buy that I want is R2-Q5, which seems to have come and gone.  The eBay site also has a sold out K-3PO listed, but it’s also sold out.  I’d love to get those two. 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 09:48 AM by Rob »