Author Topic: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005  (Read 125062 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy Hockey 2005 - League is Live!!
« Reply #855 on: October 20, 2005, 09:46 PM »
The team of the night last night?  Team Dressel gets 8 points to get back into the mix - congrats Kev. 

See, I pay attention sometimes!

Don't I?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 20, 2005, 11:09 PM »
Had to leave Frolov and Lemieux out of my lineup cause of the cap rule, cost me 2 goals and an assist.   >:(  Sorry, had to vent. 

Finally got to see a shootout tonite in the Preds game.  I bet they are hoping all their games go to a shootout.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 20, 2005, 11:15 PM »
Yeah, I had to a leave a right winger out tonite and chose JP Dumont - cost me a G and A.  :(

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 20, 2005, 11:52 PM »

Finally got to see a shootout tonite in the Preds game.  I bet they are hoping all their games go to a shootout.

I was there, and I vote for us just going straight to a shoot out from here on out!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 20, 2005, 11:57 PM »
Ohmygod guys, if you're going to whine about missing points because you had to leave a guy on the bench I'll can the ******* league right now.   Honestly, how many TD's have I left on the bench because I couldn't play all my wide receivers this year (the answer is six, btw).  Same ******* thing in hockey. 

Here's a suggestion, I tolerated all the discussion with its inherent lack of maturity.  The decision is made.  Grow up or **** off.  Ok?
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 20, 2005, 11:58 PM »
Do shutouts usually take awhile to get into the stat tracker?  The Lightning game ended like 3 hours ago, Grahame got a shutout - and I haven't gotten the points for it.

If I had those extra 3, I'd be in first.   :o

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 21, 2005, 12:10 AM »
I don't know Rob, I've found the stat tracker to be pretty wonky with respect to just about everything, especially later games (which is not the case here obviously).  I've had late games where I picked up lots of points and they never showed up that night at all.  Check in the morning and if there's a problem, lmk.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 21, 2005, 12:12 AM »
Ohmygod guys, if you're going to whine about missing points because you had to leave a guy on the bench I'll can the ******* league right now.   Honestly, how many TD's have I left on the bench because I couldn't play all my wide receivers this year (the answer is six, btw).  Same ******* thing in hockey. 

Here's a suggestion, I tolerated all the discussion with its inherent lack of maturity.  The decision is made.  Grow up or **** off.  Ok?

Easy there Brent.  Jamie and I talked on the phone not long ago 2nite and we both agreed that we didn't see the max game cap at the beginning of the season and like 2 of the "no" votes were actual "I could go either way" votes, so you gotta know people aren't sold on this max game cap.  Like I said via PM, I think those voting "no" don't fully grasp what they are voting against.  They'll see in the long run when they run out of games early.  Despite what others say, there is no strategy involved with a game cap.  You may think a guy could go off on one team that nite and that another guy won't against his opponent and be completely wrong.  It's a guessing game, not strategy.  We should have done a head-to-head league because then you can utilize all your players.  Too late now, but I for one won't stop voicing my frustration if I have more nites like 2nite.  

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 21, 2005, 12:13 AM »
Yeah - once or twice I've sent Yahoo a thing where you can request that they check a stat - and in each instance they've been right so far.

But I'm relatively confident that the 3 points are coming one way or the other since this is the second paragraph of the post-game report:

"Fredrik Modin scored two goals, John Grahame needed to make only 15 saves for his first shutout of the season and the Tampa Bay Lightning handed the Thrashers another brutal loss, 6-0 Thursday night. "

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 21, 2005, 12:16 AM »

Easy there Brent.  Jamie and I talked on the phone not long ago 2nite and we both agreed that we didn't see the max game cap at the beginning of the season and like 2 of the "no" votes were actual "I could go either way" votes, so you gotta know people aren't sold on this max game cap.  Like I said via PM, I think those voting "no" don't fully grasp what they are voting against.  They'll see in the long run when they run out of games early.  Despite what others say, there is no strategy involved with a game cap.  You may think a guy could go off on one team that nite and that another guy won't against his opponent and be completely wrong.  It's a guessing game, not strategy.  We should have done a head-to-head league because then you can utilize all your players.  Too late now, but I for one won't stop voicing my frustration if I have more nites like 2nite.  

Stategy or not, it's the rules we're playing under.  It's been discussed to death, and voted on.  There isn't going to be a change.

If you have displeasure to express, save it for the creation of next year's league and in the meantime, try to enjoy yourself.  There's nothing riding on this league.  It's just for fun.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 21, 2005, 12:20 AM »

Stategy or not, it's the rules we're playing under.  It's been discussed to death, and voted on.  There isn't going to be a change.

If you have displeasure to express, save it for the creation of next year's league and in the meantime, try to enjoy yourself.  There's nothing riding on this league.  It's just for fun.

You don't know me very well.  I'll be the 1st to admit I'm far too competitive for my own good.  I played sports my whole life.  It's a mentality that ain't going to change.  The cap rule is weak and those that voted "no" will see that sooner rather than later.  And if I lose the league by the amount of points left on my bench (or fewer), you'll hear about it, trust me.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:20 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 21, 2005, 12:29 AM »
Fair enough, just keep it civil because everyone's sick of the rancor in these threads.

I think I should mention that I had Demitra on bench all season - I went ahead and started him tonight because I thought he might have a good game - bam, 2 points.  Tomorrow he'll be back on my bench.

That's strategy, no matter what you think. 

And if you're going to be mad if you lose the league by the amount of points on your bench, make sure you add up everyone else's bench points too.  Then sit back and try to get your best matchups in your line up each night.  Stategize.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JD Fantasy hockey 2005
« Reply #867 on: October 21, 2005, 12:32 AM »
Wow, that took a long time ::)

Here are the settings as they currently are.  These are all subject to discussion/vote/whatever.  I like it simple but I can change.

League ID# 2296
League Name: Jedidefender
Password: berry

Draft Type: Offline Draft 

Max Teams: 12

Scoring Type: Points Only 

Max Moves: No maximum 

Max Trades: No maximum 

Trade Reject Time: 2 days

Trade End Date: March 9, 2006 

Waiver Time: 1 day 

Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports 

Trade Review: League Votes  - I'm not sure what this meant, if it's just veto potential, fine, I don't think we need to approve each trade.

Max Games Played: 82  

Start Scoring on: Wednesday, Oct 5 

Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow 

Roster Positions: C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR 

Stat Categories: G, A, +/-, W, SHO 

Stat Modifiers: G(1), A(1), +/-(1), W(1), SHO(3) 

You know what, I didn't care either way myself.  It mattered not a whit to me.  But guess what, we voted.  The wishy-washy votes clarified as no change.  But there's got to come a point where we move it along.  Griping about it does what?  Makes you a whiner?  Not much more than that.  

But take a look at that post I made prior to the season starting.  If you and Jamie missed it, so be it, I'm not responsible for reading comprehension.  But it was out there, clear as a bell, well before we started drafting.  Posted in this thread.  You didn't need to click on any Yahoo links to see it, did you?  Nope, just had to read it here.  It even says it's subject to discussion, right there at the top, above the settings.  

It's retarded that I'm getting multiple guys emailing me about the settings and the behaviours of other people (and I'm not singling you out here either Jay, you were far from the only one).  I just took my turn as the guy manning the controls, not as anyone's daddy ::)

The basketball pool last year ran just fine with a max game cap.  How is that any different than this is?  So too did the baseball.  I watched the game limit from the start of the season onwards in both leagues.  Some positions capped out with a game or two to go (or earlier), some didn't and I was a couple of games short because of who was on my roster.  Was I just guessing the whole time?  Yeah, I guess so.  Pretty ******* poor at it too since I managed to climb up to third in baseball and did ok at basketball too.   Strangely this year's basketball pool has a cap as well.  Funny thing too there were abundant spares in both baseball and basketball.  Did I miss something in hockey that makes it dramatically different?  Is Ortiz' scoring really so different from Sakic?  They either perform or they don't and you slot them in based on what you expect.  

I can live with 100 games or 82.  But you can't convince me that having 18 more games per slot is really that dramatically different than 82 (Yahoo caps it at 100, as I've indicated throughout this discussion).  You can't play your guys every single night.  Some rosters might luck it out, but no matter what there are going to be nights where you have to make a judgement call as to who's playing the weaker team, who's opposing goalie is hot, which of your players are in a slump.  I'd suggest almost every Saturday during the season is going to have a judgement call like that.  Oops, I mean guessing.  100 or 82 isn't going to change the fact that you have to make those calls AND watch the game cap, it just means you have to do it less often is all.  You will run out of games regardless of which cap you have.  

As far as Rotisserie goes, sure, that's a great suggestion for next year.  A new, less irritatable commissioner might be a good idea too.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 21, 2005, 12:37 AM »
Fair enough, just keep it civil because everyone's sick of the rancor in these threads.

I think I should mention that I had Demitra on bench all season - I went ahead and started him tonight because I thought he might have a good game - bam, 2 points.  Tomorrow he'll be back on my bench.

That's strategy, no matter what you think. 

And if you're going to be mad if you lose the league by the amount of points on your bench, make sure you add up everyone else's bench points too.  Then sit back and try to get your best matchups in your line up each night.  Stategize.

Sorry dude, it ain't strategy.  If you were able to use him, you would.  You've kept him on your bench because he is a C/RW and you already have Iginla, Amonte and Alfredsson at RW and Richards and Jokinen at C.  You've had him on the bench because you can't use him.  There's no strategy involved in not being able to utilize your team to it's fullest.  

Again, with the way the league has changed so drastically, there is no way to strategize and look for favorable matchups.  Case in point: 2nite Lemieux was playing New Jersey.  In the past, no one would say that putting a guy in against the Devils was a good matchup.  Their D and goaltending is too good.  I left Lemieux out simply because I can't use him, I'm like 4 games over at C.  So what does he do?  He scores a goal and has an assist.  With the new NHL, there is no strategy.  Anything can happen now.  That is another reason I was pushing for a bigger cap or no cap at all.  The league is far too unpredictable.  There is ZERO strategy involved and even Brent mentioned this before the draft.  No one knew what to expect.  You can call strategy til you're blue in the face.  The fact is there is no strategy involved.  

And for the record, I'm very civil.  It's guys like Dressel and Famine who drag threads down into the dirt cause they have something against me.  

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: October 21, 2005, 12:41 AM »
[Sorry dude, it ain't strategy.  If you were able to use him, you would.  You've kept him on your bench because he is a C/RW and you already have Iginla, Amonte and Alfredsson at RW and Richards and Jokinen at C.  You've had him on the bench because you can't use him.  There's no strategy involved in not being able to utilize your team to it's fullest. 

Dude, yes that is stategy.  By playing Demitra tonight, I'll have to find a different night to SIT Iginla or Alfredsson - and I'll look for a night where they go up against a good goalie/defensive team on the road - strategy.