Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Season 2 (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 2754 times)

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
Re: The Mandalorian - Season 2 (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #120 on: December 10, 2020, 11:57 AM »
Same people in a week “I want a Death Star playset!!!!!”

;D
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2020, 12:58 PM »
That might have been my favorite episode of the season, just terrific from start to finish I thought. It occurred to me that the beauty of this show is its ability to add so much depth and texture to the SW universe in a way that the films just don’t have time to do. I really appreciate that aspect of it, and they are hitting on all cylinders right now IMO.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2020, 01:07 PM »
I loved seeing all the imperial tech from past movies brought together into the Imp base - Juggernaut, Tank Driver armor, Shoretroopers, etc.  So cool to see that stuff as more than just a trooper "flavor of the movie" from AOTC or Rogue One.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I liked the redemption of Mayfeld.  Another well-rounded episode...definitely sitting up something big for the season finale.

I’m hoping Bo-Karan and the  night owls show up to help.  The cruiser they stole in chapter 11 could come in handy!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2020, 02:30 PM »
This season has been great, really love what they are doing with the story and characters.

I have a 15 and 16 year old that have been absolutely losing it over the fact that Boba Fett and Slave 1 are back.  They were seriously jumping off the couch after the extraction hoping they were going to get to hear Slave 1 fire at the TIE Fighters or drop a sonic charge.  The actually cheered out loud when the charge went off.  The pure joy of kids...
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2020, 03:23 PM »
I too am hoping Bo-Katan and crew, and potentially Ahsoka are part of the boarding party.

My kids were digging the inside of Slave 1 and thought the sonic charge was cool.  They wanted to go find that scene in AOTC where Kenobi and Jango were battling and the sonic bombs were dropped.

I'll be interested to see what happens with The Mandalorian now that he has taken his helmet off.  Will he take it off more?  Will he stray a bit from the dogmatic view of the Death Watch covert he was a part of?  Will he eventually join forces with Bo-Katan to try to retake Mandalore?  He could start self loathing and become a bit destructive, but I'm guessing that is going to be too dark for this series.

My kids and I loved it, but they are bummed that there is only one more episode to go this season.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 12, 2020, 06:48 PM »
I forgot to mention it was cool to see the inside of Slave 1 during flight.  I also like the insight into what the Imperial Remnant is planning.  They are planning to just create chaos in the fledgling New Republic in order to topple them and return to power, in addition to what Moff Gideon is planning.  That could be a major plot point for the Rangers of the New Republic.

I'm just loving all this stuff right now!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2020, 10:22 AM »
They wanted to go find that scene in AOTC where Kenobi and Jango were battling and the sonic bombs were dropped.

My sons said the exact same thing!  They didn't get the cannon fire during the chase so they wanted to hear that again too.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2020, 11:05 AM »
The little things are just a part of what's making this series so good!  That attention to detail really makes this show work.  And seeing how this episode brought back Mayfeld, I was glad to see that Rick Famuyiwa was the director.  Because he was also the director for "The Prisoner" in season 1 where we first met Mayfeld.

The New Republic prison scrapyard alone was impressive - scrapping old Imperial vehicles and weapons, plus the New Republic security droid that we also saw in "The Prisoner" just built on the continuity.  And I thought Mayfeld's reaction upon seeing Boba Fett and then Mando was well played.  Bill Burr is an amazing comedian, but I wasn't sure about how he would approach acting in this series.  And he's impressed me with his range.  Especially his response when he learned that Grogu had been taken.  And then to see how he played things in the remnant base?  He played the panic, reminiscence and anger really well.

It was great to see Slave I in a functional way - how Boba Fett sat in the cockpit, the passenger module that would adjust according to the flight profile of the ship, and of course the sonic mine!

And then there was the moment at the terminal!  It seemed like a big deal for Mando to get in disguise in the tank crew armor to begin with.  It clearly threw him off, because he was fighting the pirates as if he had his Beskar on and got a rude awakening.  When Din and Mayfeld were at the remnant base and he took off his helmet?  That was a HUGE moment for this character.  He let Mayfeld see his face, along with the Imperials and the terminal which probably recorded it and sent it to the Imperial network.  He definitely seemed out of sorts having done that.  But it just shows you what Grogu means to him that he would do that.  And I really wonder where that might lead him.

I've also realized that watching the recap at the beginning of the show is a good thing.  Previously I regarded stuff like that as redundant.  But then you watch the recap for this episode which opened with Moff Gideon's speech on Nevarro.  Because Din Djarin copied it almost exactly in the holo message that he sent to Gideon.  And it seemed to have the desired effect, because Gideon seemed unnerved by it.

I'm looking forward to this Friday, but then it's bittersweet, too.  Because it's going to be another year before we see this show return to Disney+ again.  I think we'll have the Disney Gallery show return to go behind the scenes.  I'm just curious how they're going to produce that in light of the pandemic.

And count me in for wanting to see Bo-Katan return with her cruiser!  Because I think Mando and his team are going to need the firepower.  And there's still the matter of who answered Grogu's call through the Force.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 11:16 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I agree.  I wasn't sure about how I felt about the return of Mayfeld, but I guess I shouldn't lose faith in the writing.  It's been exceptional and every piece fits so well.  But we got to know who Mayfeld was in this episode instead of just a former Imperial sniper.  We got to know more about his past and how his past has shaped him to who he is now.  We got to see how he reacted when he was face to face with an superior that didn't give a damn about the soldiers that fought their battles but only cared about the victories.  And then to see his sniper skills in action.  Wow!  Superb. 

There are so many nuances in the show that make it great and it keeps getting better.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2020, 10:57 AM »
Okay.  So now that it's been established that Boba's armor is Beskar, which is pretty much indestructible (as evident by Mando), I wonder if they will explain how Fett get his helmet dented?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2020, 12:50 PM »
They fired the Death Star at him.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2020, 12:33 PM »
Isn't that supposed to be from Jango whacking his head on Slave-1 in AOTC? I mean it seems unlikely now, but isn't that what happened in the PT?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2020, 12:46 PM »
I get the sense that there are different purities of beskar alloy used in the different armor.  It seems The Mandalorian's is pure and nearly indestructible to blaster fire.  While some of the others with beskar seem to have some strength, but not to the level that The Mandalorian's is.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2020, 01:16 PM »
Isn't that supposed to be from Jango whacking his head on Slave-1 in AOTC? I mean it seems unlikely now, but isn't that what happened in the PT?

I'll be damned!  I never realized his helmet was dented on Geonosis.  I always figured it was a graze.  18 years and hundreds of viewings and I somehow missed that detail (not the whacking of his head).