Author Topic: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys  (Read 8497 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: 3rd Party Kenner Retro-Style Toys
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 05:05 PM »
I got a raise this week, and my gift to myself is the Bantha.  They claim it'll ship around the new year.  I hope it turns out as good as the sample they were showing.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 08:53 PM »
Good for you, man! I'm glad someone around these parts will have one to show off!

From everything I've seen and read, he does great work. His runs on vintage remakes and his recent vintage-styled Han Solo Stormtrooper have been very well received.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 10:45 PM »
Yeah I’m really excited about it.  Of course now that I’ve ordered one, Hasbro will make a $39.99 version.  :)

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 05:51 PM »
So I gotta ask, did you buy it loose or spring for the boxed version. They just released the box art and it looks really good...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 06:02 PM »
I was going to open it no matter what, so I bought the loose version at the pre-order price, it was like $208 after tax and shipping. 

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2020, 12:29 PM »
So regarding that Bantha... I emailed them about when it would ship since he'd originally told me around Christmas, and then the website said sometime in Q1...

Now it says it's not shipping until Preorders hit a certain threshold, and that they're at 57% now.  I pre-ordered in August, which tells me they've got a ways to go.  I'm a little disappointed, because when I emailed them before I bought I asked specifically if there was a number of pre-orders they had to hit to get it made and this was the reply:  "...in essence, no. Worst case scenario would be pre-orders dont cover production costs, and only backers would get their orders. (None available after to stock) And that funding gap scenario would seriously effect future projects."

So I was kind of expecting this to get made and be about done by now, but instead it looks like we're months away form it going into production at all.   :(

Have any of you guys ordered stuff from The Fans Strikes back before? 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 12:30 PM by Rob »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2020, 03:08 PM »
Sucks that you don't have this yet Rob, but patience is a big part of this hobby.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2020, 10:29 AM by Matt_Fury »
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2020, 04:40 PM »
Yeah I totally get that - I'm just not super happy about being told that it was happening regardless of pre-orders and now being told that it'll happen when pre-orders hit a $25k threshold.  I did ask directly about that.  I'll stick it out, but at some point that is rapidly approaching, Paypal no longer guarantees the $230 deposit.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2020, 05:16 PM »
That sucks and I’d be wary if I paid in advance and was lied to about the benchmarks.  It’s why I’m wary of backing a lot of stuff on crowd funding services.  What happens when they don’t fund?

I see guys think they can get anything funded and made that way, and stuff fizzles. 
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2020, 11:24 PM »
I feel guilty that I pointed the whole thing out in the first place.

I am in business with Chris from Fans Strike Back right now, when they were just starting up in late 2018 they requested an exclusive Cardboard Galaxy piece they could sell in their store and around Thanksgiving we were able to hit on something I could supply for their customers to buy, so my perspective is probably skewed...

I would say they seem to usually do runs of their custom figures before putting them up for sale, so the pre-sell method is probably something they are still on a learning curve for. It stinks that you are coming up on the limit for PayPal protection though. That makes the purchase tougher to justify.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 10:32 AM »
That's something I don't like about PayPal.  I don't think my Credit Card has a time limit.

I know a lot of people who are fed up with Anovos that have been able to get refunds through their Credit card companies.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 11:15 AM »
I feel guilty that I pointed the whole thing out in the first place.

I am in business with Chris from Fans Strike Back right now, when they were just starting up in late 2018 they requested an exclusive Cardboard Galaxy piece they could sell in their store and around Thanksgiving we were able to hit on something I could supply for their customers to buy, so my perspective is probably skewed...

I would say they seem to usually do runs of their custom figures before putting them up for sale, so the pre-sell method is probably something they are still on a learning curve for. It stinks that you are coming up on the limit for PayPal protection though. That makes the purchase tougher to justify.

I mean, $200 isn't anything I want to lose, but it's also not going to bankrupt me.  If the guy's generally considered trustworthy, I'm okay letting it ride.  I could also possibly ask him to refund me and then repurchase it... I'm just past 5 months now, I think Paypal's protection caps at 6.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 12:46 PM »
Now might be the time to take some action.  I've seen circumstances (albeit in the musical instrument business) with prolonged pre-orders where entities like PayPal couldn't intervene.  But in those cases there were orders that had been in the works for YEARS without any progress or indication of pending delivery.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2020, 12:34 AM »
I understand PayPal's POV on the matter, but yeah it definitely is something that sucks.  I've supported lines on crowdfunding things that I know I can trust (Marauder Inc., our own Paul's CFT Dime Novel Legends, etc.), but I've seen other dudes try crowdfunding stuff (cool stuff) in less upfront ways and with little track record.  Some of them are really averse to being transparent too.  I don't know who's making the Bantha though, so can't say them.  I've seen other guys who seem to come through try crowdfunding and it fizzle, and I don't know what happened to the $ they did get...  And some of them got thousands but just didn't make their goal.  Stuff like that would weird me out.  I'm super cheap too though, so I'd be pissed about $20 or $200 haha.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 05:16 PM »
I went back and checked and I actually did pre-order the Bantha with a Credit Card.  So I'll just be patient and hope it gets made, and if it doesn't, I'll get a nice $208 refund at some point.