Author Topic: 2023 TVC OWK Obi-Wan & Battle Damage Vader 2-Pack  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
2023 TVC OWK Obi-Wan & Battle Damage Vader 2-Pack
« on: February 2, 2023, 01:00 PM »
I guess I missed starting a thread for this pipeline reveal last night...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 01:02 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: Pipeline - TVC OWK Obi-Wan & Battle Damage Vader 2-Pack
« Reply #1 on: February 2, 2023, 01:44 PM »
Hope Obi-wan gets some new tooling -- facial expression, sculpted body damage, anything -- and not just a re-use of the already-released figure with a spritz of paint all over him simulating chunks of dirt.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: February 3, 2023, 12:54 AM »
Hope Obi-wan gets some new tooling -- facial expression, sculpted body damage, anything -- and not just a re-use of the already-released figure with a spritz of paint all over him simulating chunks of dirt.

One thing about that pipe-lined two-pack...it should be a new Obi-Wan.  I don't think they can just repaint the wandering Jedi figure for that one.

Add in a few world-building entertainment-inspired accessories (rocks) and we've got a $59.99 exclusive on our hands!

Where's young Leia?  Fifth Brother?  Fourth Sister?  Tala Durith?  The Grand Inquisitor?  TVC NED-B?  Bail and Breha Organa?  Haja?  Owen and Beru Lars?  Flea / Vect Kokru?  Roken? 

I'd much rather have any of the many secondary characters Rob mentioned than this two-pack, but I get why they'd make it. I'll wait and see before deciding on this one for now. If the cost is too high or there isn't enough new tooling in the set, the TAC/TFU battle-damaged Vader may be a good enough stand-in for now.

The Luke... I can't say I'm excited for at all. I haven't looked at the costumes side by side, but it sure seems like it can't be that different from the Imperial Cruiser version of Luke that we are just now getting. I'd have much rather gotten a much-needed update of an OT Luke (Tatooine / Farmboy Luke & Dagobah Luke immediately come to mind). But better yet, how about a NEW figure from The Book of Boba Fett instead? Peli Mott would have been nice to go with the upcoming N-1.
"This is the way."

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 3, 2023, 02:18 PM »
I'll be interested to see how Hasbro presents this particular incarnation of Luke.  A deluxe figure might be in order where he's got the backpack and Grogu.  Those ant construction droids would be cool, too.  But the likelihood of something like that being made seems pretty slim now.

I'm really happy with the announcement of the OWK duel 2-pack.  It seems pretty obvious that Vader will be built on the Darth Vader (The Dark Times) body.  Evidently the chest plate on that figure is removable, so Hasbro can easily plug in a battle damaged chest piece.  And the likeness of the new ROTJ Vader looks a little like Hayden Christensen, so I can see how that might be the likeness we see through that damaged section of the helmet.

I'm really curious about the Obi-Wan figure.  Hasbro obviously repainted the Wandering Jedi figure in order to make the Tibodon Station figure.  Based on the costume from that final episode, I can see Hasbro re-using the legs and the head of the WJ figure.  But the upper body and arms need to be that darker Jedi tunic that he work on Jabiim and during that duel.  That kind of accuracy matters here.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 3, 2023, 05:06 PM »

It seems pretty obvious that Vader will be built on the Darth Vader (The Dark Times) body.

As will the ANH Vader with Interrogation Droid, and the ROTJ Vader with Electrocution / Skull / See-Through effect, as will the Vader in Meditation Chamber ($89.99), and Glow in the Dark Vader (for no real reason whatsoever) and the red-painted Vader FoR CHriSTmAs!!1!

Or, the one I actually would want that they probably wouldn't do, this Vader on the funeral pyre.
« Last Edit: February 3, 2023, 05:12 PM by Rob »

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 4, 2023, 10:26 AM »
As will the ANH Vader with Interrogation Droid, and the ROTJ Vader with Electrocution / Skull / See-Through effect, as will the Vader in Meditation Chamber ($89.99), and Glow in the Dark Vader (for no real reason whatsoever) and the red-painted Vader FoR CHriSTmAs!!1!

Or, the one I actually would want that they probably wouldn't do, this Vader on the funeral pyre.

Don't forget a redo of the Target Lava Reflection Vader just in time for the 20th anniversary of RotS!
« Last Edit: February 4, 2023, 10:55 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 4, 2023, 10:54 AM »
Yep.  I also forgot Hoth Vader with snow on his boots, and Marvel comics Vader. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 4, 2023, 10:56 AM »
Yep.  I also forgot Hoth Vader with snow on his boots, and Marvel comics Vader.

Infinites Vader

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #8 on: February 4, 2023, 01:21 PM »
In all honesty I would buy a ANH Vader on this body type, and an ESB Vader. All the other novelty Vaders I'm fine with.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 5, 2023, 07:40 AM »

It seems pretty obvious that Vader will be built on the Darth Vader (The Dark Times) body.

The key question here is this - will Hasbro recognize when collectors have tapped out on the new sculpt?

But if they went back and did the complete meditation chamber from TESB?  Because that 500th Vader only had the seat.  I would so be up for that.

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 5, 2023, 10:56 AM »
I don’t know that there is such a thing anymore.  If Hasbro is reusing a mold for a 5th or 6th or 10th time, their overhead is so low that all it takes is a fraction of collectors to care and it’s profitable.  These retro prototypes are a good example of it.  There are completists who are 30 years in that they’re taking advantage of (guilty as charged) and then there are enough people who just like them or want one or whatever that they sell just fine, even though I feel like a huge number of collectors (at least those commenting on websites and social media) think they’re stupid and want it to end.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 5, 2023, 07:00 PM »
I dislike the inanity of the Retro Prototypes so much so that I was planning to do a weekly feature on my Instagram highlighting how Hasbro could reuse the molds in fun creative ways with 0 new tooling, a la all the different droids Stan Solo has done, but there could be so much more that would be fun and unique. Like, I would absolutely buy a Bespin Luke with in Burger King glass blue deco, or Hoth Han with a ANH Han head. Or any of those droids...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 6, 2023, 07:36 AM »
I saw a couple of the retro prototype Luke X-wing pilots last week at Target.  For a moment I thought maybe I should pick these up for a friend.  But then I couldn't really think of any friends in my area that I trade with and are actually collecting these.  It seems like the novelty may have worn off.

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 6, 2023, 08:25 AM »
The only thing that got me to pick up the Retro Luke Prototypes last week whe nI saw them and consider buying one was the unique lightsaber colors...the orange and purple, specifically, looked like they would be neat to have.

But not at $15 a piece. I didn't buy, but now I might go looking for weird colored 3rd party retro sabers, because that orange one was kinda cool.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 6, 2023, 09:16 AM »
But not at $15 a piece. I didn't buy, but now I might go looking for weird colored 3rd party retro sabers, because that orange one was kinda cool.

I found what must be a case or two’s worth at my Target in Chicago on Thursday. 

They were priced at $18.29.  A five-POA rehash with no paint apps with a higher price tag than a regular TVC release.  It’s unreal.