Author Topic: 2006 DVD Releases Thread  (Read 87398 times)

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 DVD Releases Thread
« Reply #210 on: March 9, 2006, 04:20 PM »
I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to see how Cory has come up with dubbing History of Violence "Hulk 2".

And dropping Darren Aronofsky's name, what's up with that? Didn't you just watch Pi and Requiem like a week or two ago for the first time? I bet you hadn't even heard of Darren when you watched History of Violence.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 9, 2006, 05:09 PM »
Arnofsky isn't really the one I'd be dropping in a conversation about Cronenberg - sure he's got his own style, but he's only made two movies so far and one of them was an independent as hell (student?) project...

« Last Edit: March 9, 2006, 05:09 PM by Rob »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 10, 2006, 09:45 AM »
I have to agree that the HOV/Hulk2 comparison is way off base. It's clear from earlier posts that Cory isn't into non-mainstreen Cinema. That's fine. That's why a lot of people could care less about the Academy Awards, they don't get or understand why the nominated films for best picture are nominated. Cronenberg either works for you or he doesn't, but regardless whether he does or not, he has an undeniably consistent tone that is hailed by most film scholars and aficionados as genius. HOV has been consistently hailed as top drawer Cronenberg, nothing about Cory's opinion is going to change that.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2006, 10:03 AM »
It's clear from earlier posts that Cory isn't into non-mainstreen Cinema

Looking at his DVD collection I'd say that Cory's probably more into mainstream cinema than most people - HOV is probably on the fringe of that category anyway.  This may or may not apply to Cory but I often run into people who either just plain old don't like it when (or feel compelled to disagree with) groups like the Academy who have a very large say about what goes into the history books as great film and what doesn't.  I like to think that a lot of the time groups like that who have worked in and been around film for decades know at least a little bit about what they're talking about.  They don't always get it right but the fact that they didn't pick Brokeback for best picture makes me think even moreso that this time around they pretty much did. :)

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2006, 11:02 AM »

One final note, Hulk was literally the biggest pile of **** ever put onto celluloid;

Ouch, you really think it was that bad?

Granted, it's not one of the best super hero movies, but it was better than most in that genre (DareDevil, Fantastic Four, later Batman movies).

When I judge movies I place them in the same genre pot - it's an easy way to set benchmarks and compare, but that's just me.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2006, 11:30 AM »
Ouch, you really think it was that bad?

I did - I found myself laughing through it for the most part - I thought the effects (which is what most people went for) were embarassing and Nick Nolte's whole end thing was really really bad.  But that's just me.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2006, 07:07 PM »
Rob, don't think bad of me, but I kind of liked the Hulk.  :-X

However, I know enough to distingush between what is entertaining on a brainless level, and what is engaging on an artist level. Like you said, that's why people don't get the Academy Awards. Even I think the Academy sometimes misses the boat sometimes on films that are both, like Batman Begins, but then again, this year was an excellent year for film, so it was a tough year to choose.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2006, 09:32 PM »
Picked up a few things tonight...

(yes, I just bought the cheap version since I just want the film and don't need the extra bits for $7)

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 11, 2006, 06:47 AM »
Picked up the single disk HP at Wal-Mart for $13.87.  Still on edge if I should keep it or not as I really enjoyed the extras from the previous releases.  I just can't see myself paying $23 for a double disk set when I picked up all the previous ones for half the price if not less.

Oh, and Gamestop is running their buy 2 get one free sale.  Picked up A Christmas Story Anniversary ed, Ring 2 (probably sucks, but what the hell), and Creepshow 2 - always loved that movie for some reason.
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #219 on: March 11, 2006, 03:17 PM »
Picked up the single disk HP at Wal-Mart for $13.87.  Still on edge if I should keep it or not as I really enjoyed the extras from the previous releases.  I just can't see myself paying $23 for a double disk set when I picked up all the previous ones for half the price if not less.

Of course, the reason the three previous discs have been so cheap lately is because they were the only versions on the market.  That's the genius of the one-disc barebones/two-disc SE dual release strategy:  They can sell the one-disc for low, low prices (which will get even lower as time goes on), but the two-disc SEs, that the die-hard fans and collectors just have to have, will always hover around the $20-25-30 mark.  With that one-disc available, we'll never see the SE as cheap as the other HP discs have been recently.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 03:20 PM by Bill Cosby »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2006, 06:37 PM »
Everyone excited about A History of Violence coming out Tuesday??

Also picking up:

And I'm thinking about picking up Marebito:

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2006, 07:47 PM »
I will definetely be buying Good Night, and Good Luck since I missed that in theaters. Not sure about History of Violence, but I might pick it up if I find a reasonable sale.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2006, 08:05 PM »
The best I've found so far is Circuit City - $14.99 for both History of Violence and Good night and Good Luck.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2006, 12:43 PM »
Does anybody here use NetFlix?  I'm growing tired of hitting Blockbuster every weekend only to come home with nothing...

For those of you who do rent online, does it take a long time to get New Releases delivered to your door?

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2006, 01:38 PM »

Has anyone watched the new Harry Potter DVD yet? I saw it twice in the theater, and I can swear that they added an effect to the scene with Victor Krum's school making their entrance into Hogwarts. I don't recall a blurr effect to their tweriling staffs in the theater.

I haven't watched my HP disc yet, but there was definitely an effect on the staffs in the the theatrical version.   Whether or not it's the same effect as what's on disc, I can't say yet, but I do remember thinking "neato" when they entered.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.