Author Topic: The Walking Dead  (Read 558051 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: The Walking Dead
« Reply #2460 on: October 17, 2019, 02:31 PM »
When animals start zombifying, it's all over.

So, it's exactly what the show needs then?!

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #2461 on: October 18, 2019, 11:52 AM »
Other than Resident Evil, I don’t think I’ve seen the zombification virus jump species.

Well, there’s the chemical in Return of the Living Dead, but those are more comedies.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: October 20, 2019, 05:53 PM »
Out of curiosity what do people want them to do otherwise? An hour and a half movie with humans vs zombies is one thing. But a show solely about that would get stale fast as well.

I've not read the comics, so my thoughts don't have anything to do with "being true to the comics".

First off, I'd like to see a little more action.  If there is going to be conflict between The Whisperers and Alexandria et. al. I would like to see some of the conflict.

Second, I'd like to see a larger story arc.  Maybe something around community building, or finding the helicopter people and creating a vaccine.

I still somewhat enjoy the show, but it seems to have lost a lot of the suspense and interest that it had managed to create over the first five seasons.  Maybe there are too many characters, or the writing/pacing has changed, but it needs to either wrap things up or revitalize the story.

Finally caught up on the last two episodes and like others, thought they were pretty 'meh.'  I wouldn't mind these so much if I thought they were building to something, but there wasn't anything very telling about Beta.  Was he even a patient or was the "friend" he had locked up the patient?  That was really poorly executed in my opinion. Outside of seeing how crazy Alpha is, it didn't do anything to build her character or her daughter's.  I also didn't really get the "sisters" storyline.  The surviving sister has no remorse?  And the dead one survived Alpha just to get eaten later?  Feels like too much filler.

There is some cool stuff coming - the whisperers have a battle tactic that other baddies haven't used, but they're taking too long to get to it.  And Rick's whereabouts are taking too long as well.  I think there's a whole different angle of storytelling if/when they can get to that.  Seems like too far away at the pace they're currently going though.

I know the concept is that anyone could die at any time, but they've gotten rid of too many of the characters people care about.  Rick, Carl, Maggie, Glenn, Jesus...I know people still cheer on Daryl, Carol, and Michone, but I could care less about almost all the other survivors.  And they were already at a disadvantage taking out richer characters like Andrea, Hershel, and Dale too early on.  I'm not sure they'll get to tell a complete story at this point unless they can get back to some remotely compelling storytelling.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: October 21, 2019, 12:58 AM »
Tonite, Carol goes pill popping overload and what was real and what wasn't? I'm betting none of this has been real, and the whole apocalypse never happened she's still on the boat. No, really, she's in a mental hospital for killing her abusive husband confusing me. I'm terribly vexed.

Also, Michonne sending Carol to confront Alpha was STUPID.  She just wants to talk, so let's send someone who'd get us all killed to kill Alpha.

Michonne didn't mention the evidence they found that the Whisperers broke the border, too.

Totally a spy somewhere in the good guys' camp for them to know about the winter crossing.

Aaron and Negan...a new shipping couple?

Rosita and Eugene, a non-shipping couple?

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: October 22, 2019, 08:15 AM »
Well, the AMC app was giving me fits so I missed like the last two minutes.  Did I miss anything?

As for the episode, Alpha is creepy, and she shows mercy because of context.  Carol likes to stay hyped up and sees stuff.

Some other stuff happened.  People talked.  Negan and Aaron went for a nature walk.  Some other stuff happened.

Filler episode?  Or just what did I watch?
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: October 22, 2019, 09:08 AM »
Some of the plot devices they use to drive the story are really weak.

Aaron and Negan go out together and stand in the woods to fight walkers as a team of two.   There is no logic behind this.  Its done so they can have a one-on-one conversation about their feelings to humanize Negan a bit more.  It chewed up about 10 minutes of time.  I'm not sure exactly what they're trying to set up (Negan being an accepted part of the crew or maybe he's going to get killed) or if they're just filling time. 

I miss the days of Rick where he would have just gone and whipped The Whisperers in an ambush.  Negan's crew was far more capable yet they're cowering around The Whisperers.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: October 28, 2019, 12:22 AM »
Everyone is falling apart except precocious little Judith, junior woodchuck samurai.

The 3 people bullying Lydia act like they haven't lived through an apocalypse. Why? Because, they'd either be A. be mad enough they just would've killed her regardless of consequences or B. they'd realize she's more useful to them alive and in their camp.

That there are still large trees that close to Hilltops' walls is a strategic blunder and bad planning. Only reason to keep one would be for a lookout post, build a treehouse in it.

Pouty lesbian is poutier than normal. Because, that's the way they are portrayed on tv most of the time.  Yay, stereotypes!

There's people with pitchforks and torches...oh, not really, we didn't show. It's a metaphor, just sleep on it.

Who let Negan go? CAROL? DARYL? CHERYL? TERYL? MERYL? He was a ghost the whole time?

Plus side, no Alpha and Beastman appearances.

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: October 29, 2019, 12:01 AM »
Who let Negan go? CAROL? DARYL? CHERYL? TERYL? MERYL? He was a ghost the whole time?

The preview showed who it was. A head-scratcher.  ???

Stoopid townspeople (or maybe it's the writing). A girl with a bloody mouth, (likely) bruised all over her body from the beating, a history with Moe, Larry, Shemp, and they don't believe her when she tells them Negan helped/saved her?

Why weren't more people trying to fend off the walkers after the trees came down?

And the wall is their only line of defense? No 4' deep ditch? Outward pointing spears? Swinging logs?  :P

Maybe they'll recapture the charm with their third show.  https://www.amc.com/shows/the-walking-dead/video-extras/the-walking-dead-universe-new-series-trailer

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: October 29, 2019, 04:29 PM »

Why weren't more people trying to fend off the walkers after the trees came down?

And the wall is their only line of defense? No 4' deep ditch? Outward pointing spears? Swinging logs?  :P

The fact a tree falls and within minutes every walker in earshot instantly appears like they rose from the ground. Kind of points to the Whisperers being involved.  Also, now every walker has long nasty hair...no one died with a crew cut? (Hair doesn't grow after death, that's a myth).

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: November 4, 2019, 03:18 PM »
I liked last night's episode.  I like how the show is portraying Negan, and at the end of the episode I got the vibe that Negan was actually pretending to be old Negan.

I'm ready for Magda to get eaten by zombies at anytime now....I just do not like the character.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: November 4, 2019, 03:45 PM »
I liked last night's episode.  I like how the show is portraying Negan, and at the end of the episode I got the vibe that Negan was actually pretending to be old Negan.

There has been a lot of build up with Negan over the past dozen shows.  I'm also hoping he's a bit of a double-agent and we get some of that swagger back, albeit fake bravado.   

They need to do something to keep the story moving forward.

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: November 4, 2019, 05:35 PM »
I wasn't sure the teen following him was real or just another Rick Grimes-esque hallucination. I mean, he didn't help Negan with the walker. The mom and kid didn't acknowledge his presence.  The only thing saying he was real was the appearance of the jacket and baseball bat.

But I guess he was real.

Yeah, the new batch from last season just do little for me.  It's  Magna, not Magda. I know, who doesn't know a lot of people named Magna?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: November 5, 2019, 04:06 PM »
It's  Magna, not Magda. I know, who doesn't know a lot of people named Magna?

For me it's proof that her character is so bad that I cannot be bothered to know her name.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: November 6, 2019, 01:42 PM »
Well that was a Neegan I could get on board with.  I like the spin they've put on him with this episode.  It was far better than the aimless crap they were pumping out the last few.  Now, I wonder if he is going to be a good, bad, or gray man.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: November 6, 2019, 04:31 PM »
The idea of him becoming a good guy is pretty intriguing to me... although maybe not believable after how we were introduced to him initially.