Author Topic: Solo (SPOILERS)  (Read 166539 times)

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Solo (SPOILERS)
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2018, 05:16 PM »
Chiming in late... I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked this one.  Maybe it's because I had no expectations, didn't care that much, and assumed that the dude playing Solo wouldn't do a good job, but it exceeded my expectations on every level.  It was fun, it didn't feel over-done, or like it had pointless crap (Canto Bight), it didn't do anything to the characters that caused a stir (Luke, Ackbar)... I liked it so much more than TLJ (which I dislike more every time I watch it). 

I didn't expect that I'd feel like this, but I'd be on board for another Solo movie.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2018, 09:58 PM »
Phruby, I dunno if Lando is Pansexual but I do know he mere simple mention of it in a friggin interview triggered so much bull**** on social media and elsewhere that it made me ashamed to consider some of the commenters “peers” in this hobby and fandom in general.  I’d say some of the reaction was so overtly homophobic that those people need to have a long look in the mirror about their own hangups on sexuality in general.

To me the interview remarks by Kasdan and subsequently Glover were taken and blown way way out of proportion.  I saw some tools even implying they had to explain pansexuality to their kids and refusing to go to Star Wars films and stuff like it’s now about space orgies and rated nc17.  Just pure overreaction stupidity.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 31, 2018, 06:23 AM »
I got to see Solo yesterday and I loved it. I grew up a Han Solo fan, so this was something I wanted to see.  The plot was decently solid, not perfect, but it didn't try to be overly complicated and it wasn't too simple minded.  I thought it was pretty cool just to see how certain things from Solo's past happened, although much of it had been alluded to in EU books (that Disney has said doesn't matter, but we know in this case it may have).

I went in worrying if I was going to be able to see somebody other than Harrison Ford as Solo, and found it to not be an issue within minutes of the movie starting.  I thought Ehrenreich did a great job and nailed the portrayal.  I like how the plot seemed to weave back to the character of Han Solo that we see throughout the OT.  The only complaint, if you want to call it that, was the entire Darth Maul thing at the end.  Of course, that was a set up for a sequel that I'm completely on board for.  The side note to that, and intertwined with Maul, was the Qi'ra character.  A solid character, but her backstory wasn't completely put together in my mind.  But again, that might be sequel material and if they had gone into it, this movie it might have made it too cumbersome.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest over the Disney movies vs. OT vs. PT, but in my mind, this was far above and beyond what I saw in TFA and TLJ and probably falls into 2 or 3 in my own ranking order of all the SW movies.  I could see a little bit of the Disney influence, but I didn't think the humor was forced or too over the top and fit the character perfectly.

Overall, I loved the movie and it was certainly worth watching and I'm hoping there is a sequel.

If I was going to rank the movies by favorites:
Empire
Rogue One
Solo (those two could be flipped)
SW
ROTJ
TFA
ROTS
AOTC
TLJ
TPM
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 06:26 AM by Chris M »
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 1, 2018, 12:06 PM »
Phruby, I dunno if Lando is Pansexual but I do know he mere simple mention of it in a friggin interview triggered so much bull**** on social media and elsewhere that it made me ashamed to consider some of the commenters “peers” in this hobby and fandom in general.  I’d say some of the reaction was so overtly homophobic that those people need to have a long look in the mirror about their own hangups on sexuality in general.

To me the interview remarks by Kasdan and subsequently Glover were taken and blown way way out of proportion.  I saw some tools even implying they had to explain pansexuality to their kids and refusing to go to Star Wars films and stuff like it’s now about space orgies and rated nc17.  Just pure overreaction stupidity.

I took the remarks in the movie ask coming from a insecure crazy droid that might be in love with her owner and wants to keep competition away. Lando to me, has always been that lady's man, fancy dressed gambler in the saloon. He's kind of like Jim West in the Wild Wild West tv show. I'm not sure why there has to be an agenda added to his backstory.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #214 on: June 1, 2018, 03:27 PM »
Pansexual doesn’t stop him from being a “ladies man” at all...  if anything, he’s an “everything’s man”.

I see no agenda and don’t see why anyone else does honestly.

Kasdan was asked something in an interview and he answered...  I saw nothing overtly displayed regarding Lando’s sexuality one way or another in the movie.  He clearly loved L3 but what that entailed who knows.  The interview seems to get people’s knickers in a twist over nothing really.

Personally I found it kind of funny and there was a fellow made a comment somewhere I cannot recall, but he said basically “did anyone ever really think Lando wasn’t the kind of guy who’d bang everything that moved, given the chance?”, and that to me sums him up.  Will he bang men too?  I dunno.  I don’t care either.  Maybe.  But I think he’d bang sentient Jello for the experience.

With all the species in Star Wars, i think Pansexual describes probably a lot of people in that galaxy.🤷‍♂️
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 1, 2018, 04:26 PM »
As he's seen in the movie?  Lando is by all accounts "a player".  Han even called him "...you old smoothie" in TESB.  The dynamic between Lando and L3 was a little strange, but it was also an interesting way to further develop Lando's character.  There was also the deal with the Falcon being impounded on Vandor, and Lando being a gambler who cheats.  When he ran off on the crew on Savareen, it just made things between him and Han more complicated.... after Han had pretty well trashed the ship during the Kessel run, and his droid was lost.  Then the final round of Sabacc where Han won "fair and square"?    I thought ALL of those things were great ways to develop the character as well as the backstory between Han and Lando.  All of a sudden lines like "But that was a long time ago..." from TESB took on new dimensions.

Still, L3 saying to Han and Lando "Are you done flirting?" was one of the funnier lines in the movie.

But I almost wish Jon Kasdan HADN'T talked about the pansexual thing.  Not because it changed my own personal image of Lando.  I'm totally fine with it.  It's certainly not going to get played out on screen.  I take issue with it because it's fodder for the "original" snowflakes who take issue with any kind of modern day social issues being addressed outwardly or even subtly in the new era of films.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 1, 2018, 04:33 PM »
Bet no one has issues with Kirk’s flavor of the week back in the day, which was essentially pansexual.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 1, 2018, 06:38 PM »
Bet no one has issues with Kirk’s flavor of the week back in the day, which was essentially pansexual.

This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #218 on: June 2, 2018, 10:28 PM »
I think riker might be a better example from Trek.  That was one sexed up dude.

Kasdan did just add more fuel to the political ****storm that is Star Wars right now. But to me it was such a just passing remark in an interview that I just don’t see the reason to rage on it.  Like you said Nick it’ll probably never be overtly displayed just something Kasdan thinks is applicable to the character.  Wonder where Lucas would stand?

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 3, 2018, 07:14 PM »
Saw Solo again last night.  I enjoyed it more the second time around.  It might be my favorite of all the new SW movies.
« Last Edit: June 3, 2018, 07:14 PM by Rob »

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 3, 2018, 07:32 PM »
I just got home from my second viewing.  It flowed way better this time around, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The western/caper feel of the movie really shines through:  a train robbery, the card game, sitting around the camp fire, and the standoff?  It's all there.

Feedback

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 4, 2018, 07:55 AM »
With all the backlash, I hope Disney just sticks to December from now on.  I think a lot of the people who hate on the Disney era and just upset that Lucas has nothing to do with Star Wars anymore.  They really need to sit down and watch TPM and AOTC back to back and then watch any two Disney era movies.  The first two prequels were just utterly boring movies.

Really, there was no reason for Disney not to push this movie out until December with all the production problems.  Who knows if it would have done better in December, but at least it would have been a bit father removed from TLJ.

I don't have a problem with Solo.  There are some minor things like Han not having or not knowing his last name.  I was hoping they would bring the life debt into canon.  I'm not quite sure what Chewie's motivation would be to stick with Han at this point instead of looking for his family.

I hope Disney doesn't over react to box office numbers.  A Boba Fett movie could have promise if done correctly.  I'm not sure what they plans for the Rian Johnson trilogy are, but I hope they map out the three movies instead of just writing as they go a la the sequel trilogy.  They need to take a page from Marvel studios and have a more defined road map, especially if they ever decide to go the inevitable Episode X - XII route.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 4, 2018, 08:53 AM »
I just got home from my second viewing.  It flowed way better this time around, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The western/caper feel of the movie really shines through:  a train robbery, the card game, sitting around the camp fire, and the standoff?  It's all there.

I saw it over the weekend again with my daughter and 100% agree with this. It was not a chore to sit through again at all. Not perfect by any means but nowhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be.

And I agree the box office performance has a lot to do with things completely unrelated to the quality of the film itself. (Timing, franchise fatigue, etc)
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Deke Starkiller

• Jedi Initiate
  • Moof Milker™
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 4, 2018, 12:19 PM »
I hope we get more SOLO films, but I think one key ingredient that is missing is the slight annoyance that Harrison Ford brought out in the role. Little things like that might help the overall feeling of the character. I saw it a third time with my kids and enjoyed it just as much.
"YAGAMAROO!"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 4, 2018, 02:15 PM »
I hope we get more SOLO films, but I think one key ingredient that is missing is the slight annoyance that Harrison Ford brought out in the role. Little things like that might help the overall feeling of the character.

But then that's a part of the development of the character, isn't it?  Han needs TIME and EXPERIENCE to become the Han Solo that we meet in the Mos Eisley cantina.  That means years of smuggling, dealing with sketchy characters, having the Falcon boarded by Imperials, getting burned on deals and becoming increasingly jaded for all of it.  The Han of SOLO still has some of that hope and optimism, but you see it fading away as he learns that Lando, Beckett and even Qi'ra are all serving their own interests.

And one moment that really sums up that shift in Han's character?  Not the act of Han shooting Beckett, but Chewbacca's reaction!  Chewie was genuinely shocked to see Han kill Beckett before he even had a chance to draw his blaster.  Because Chewie already has a good sense of who Han really is.  Han saved him and got him off Mimban.  He kept Chewie from being killed on the Conveyex heist.  And Chewie also saw how Han was prepared to do the right thing by helping Enfys Nest.  But overall?  Han's moral center became ambiguous, at the very least.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2018, 02:21 PM by Nicklab »

Feedback