Author Topic: Land of the Dead  (Read 3900 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Land of the Dead
« on: June 12, 2005, 03:57 AM »
Just a thread for it...  Not sure I'm even going to go see it, but I actually had a question which is why I kicked the thread off for this.

Is it set in Pittsburgh?  I only ask because I keep seeing the commercials half-way through or just missing bits of them,a nd from what I saw, it looked like downtown is the fortress of the living...

I was just surprised that Romero was going to set the film in his hometown, and wasn't sure if that was even the case.  I know he didn't film it here...  Or I don't think he did.  If he did it went 100% under the radar, and I thought I heard him say he wanted to film here but opted for elsewhere due to costs of filming in our beloved city.

And of course, share thoughts/reviews here if you go see it.  I doubt I do unless my friends wanna go...  This isn't one to trick the better half into going to see I figure.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Land of the Dead
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 12:29 PM »
From IMDB.com"
'George A. Romero' intended to make this film in his home town Pittsburgh - the story is set there and it's where he made his other zombie films. However his producers insisted on filming Toronto in order to take advantage of Canadian tax incentives.

I may go and see this movie but most likly willjust wait until its for rent and see if I like it or not.  THe only other "Dead" movie I have seen is Day of the Dead and the new Dawn of the Dead.  So I not sure if I would like it or not.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 01:15 PM by Darth Kenobi »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 12:40 PM »
I love all the Dead movies, but for whatever reason the trailer for this doesn't look exciting to me.

I'll go see it just to find out for sure one way or the other, but I've got very low expectations.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 12:53 PM »
I'm pumped for this one. Hopefully it will be redeeming, because I could not STAND Land of the Dead. I have every "Of the Dead" movie he made, except Land, cause that's how much I think it sucked.

But this commercial on TV had a zombie weilding a gun...thats not good news for anyone...

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 02:54 PM »
I'm pumped for this one. Hopefully it will be redeeming, because I could not STAND Land of the Dead. I have every "Of the Dead" movie he made, except Land, cause that's how much I think it sucked.

But this commercial on TV had a zombie weilding a gun...thats not good news for anyone...

Kevin

Um, isn't that the one we're talking about looking forward (or not) to seeing?

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Day...Day of the Dead...

My mistake.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2005, 08:54 PM »
I just watched Day last year. . . I had to force my way through it, but I did get a kick out of seeing the dude get his guts ripped out and pulled apart.  . .not particularly because of the scene itself but because I had a Fangoria magazine when I was kid that had a picture of that scene and I remembered looking at it from time to time in horror.  Kind of fun to have seen it on the small screen finally.

But yeah. .. it sucked. 

I'll rent Land just because I've seen the others, but my expectations are low as well.  What I can't understand is why is this not titled Twilight of the Dead.

We've got Night of, Dawn of, Day of, and now. . .Land of.

Bummer.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2005, 10:13 PM »
Question: How come nothing apocolyptic ever happens in the South according to Hollywood?
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2005, 10:32 PM »
I worked a couple of days on LOTD.  One day of main unit and one day of re-shoots this spring.
I'll go see it.  George is the King of the zombie genre.  NOTLD is one of my favourite all-time flicks, and Dawn was great too.  Day I have to admit I've never seen.
What I saw on set was interesting.  People are living in a walled compound while the zombies run amuck outside.  Then, from what I gather, the zombies start to form a "society" of their own.   Which obviously conflicts with the people on the inside :P
Looks interesting.  George's zombie flicks have always been more about social commentary than blood and guts, and I think that's why some folks don't like them as much as mindless horror twaddle....just my opinion, of course ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 01:16 AM »
Romero's idea of Pittsburgh being a fortress city against the zombies is a good one...  Considering Pittsburgh was a fort, and is basically protected on 3 sides, that makes sense...  I like the notion of it being set here, but it sounds like looking for anything but the scene of downtown isn't really worth it.

I can see the Mon Warf is there though... 

Oh well...  if Zombies attack, I'm headin' out to Johnstown where the hicks are!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 01:52 AM »
I worked a couple of days on LOTD.  One day of main unit and one day of re-shoots this spring.
I'll go see it.  George is the King of the zombie genre.  NOTLD is one of my favourite all-time flicks, and Dawn was great too.  Day I have to admit I've never seen.
What I saw on set was interesting.  People are living in a walled compound while the zombies run amuck outside.  Then, from what I gather, the zombies start to form a "society" of their own.   Which obviously conflicts with the people on the inside :P
Looks interesting.  George's zombie flicks have always been more about social commentary than blood and guts, and I think that's why some folks don't like them as much as mindless horror twaddle....just my opinion, of course ;)

Can I ask what specifically it was you did on the shoots?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 02:26 AM »
For those interested, in (I think) the original NOTLD, if you listen to the Radio or it's maybe listed on the TV (again I am forgetting specifics here), they list Leechburg and Gilpin VFD's as safe places.

Both are my local fire departments...  Gilpin is on my road.  It's a nice little nod to my area.

The mall where our Toy Show is held (it's in an Expo center that sits in front of the mall actually) is where Dawn was filmed...  The mall's not terribly different from when the film was made (though the ice rink's long gone, as are most of the store names, though Penney's is exactly where it was then), and fun to walk through if you recall the movie.  That's one of my regular toy runs actually.  :)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 03:39 AM »
Question: How come nothing apocolyptic ever happens in the South according to Hollywood?

Because the South is already Hell.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 06:14 AM »
DID YOU SEE IT! NORTHERN AGGRESSION!!!!!1111!!!1!1!1!!!1

...ahem, not to derail the thread any further, yeah the movie looks interesting. The poster art was weak though.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 12:34 PM »
They like to have the mobs of zombies in the bigger cities.  Fine with me, as long as St. Louis stays normal.   ;)

I'll probably go see this.  I like these kind of sicko movies.  The new 'Dawn of the Dead' was good in my opinion, and this will be hard to top that.

'Day of the Dead' really sucks in my opinion.  It was actually on Sci Fi on Saturday.  And yes, I watched it (again).

:P