Author Topic: The Avengers (SPOILERS)  (Read 137496 times)

Offline EdSolo

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: The Avengers (and sequels)
« Reply #420 on: May 5, 2015, 06:57 AM »
I am also seeing a lot of "I liked it, but certainly not as good as the first one".  At this point, I don't know where I put if yet in relation to the first Avengers.  I've only seen it once, and I had both my kids with me so I couldn't give the movie 100% of my attention.  I certainly enjoyed it.  My wife wants to see it, so I may get another chance to see it in the theater.  If that is the case, it will be the only MCU movie besides GOTG that I have seen twice in the theater.  At this point, I think this movie will definitely be in my top five with Iron Man, Winter Soldier, Avengers 1, and Guardians.  Not sure what order I would put them in though.  We will have to see how Ant Man does to see if there is any Marvel fatigue.  I think it is safe to say they are still miles ahead of DC.  While Superman v. Batman will make a ton of cash, it does not look anywhere near as good as Age of Ultron was.

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 5, 2015, 11:55 AM »

Good, certainly not great.  Far behind some of the other Marvel movies but I still enjoyed it.

Far behind which other Marvel movies?  GOTG, IM, and Winter Soldier are probably my top 3, but this and the first Avengers round out my top 5.  Curious to know which ones you'd put so far ahead of this one?

You missed the emphasis on "some".  I don't think our opinion is much different.  I put Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man 1 in my top 3.  After that the list really starts to jumble together.  There are parts of each MCU movie that I absolutely loved but collectively they don't stand out.  I didn't like the Winter Soldier nearly as much as most (and I can't really put my finger on why) but that's not the same thing as me saying that I didn't like it - because I did and I've watched it at least 3 times already.    So when I say far behind, all I'm really saying is that  Ultron doesn't crack my top 3.   

Sometimes I find that movies grow on me even more after second viewings... one of my favorite parts of all the MCU movies (and agents for Shield for that matter) is the "witty" dialogue and humor.  Unfortunately with the exception of two scenes (IM/Hulk and Thor/Vision) I felt like I'd already seen all the "funny" stuff in the trailers.  I suspect upon a second viewing, I won't have those same faults and will probably like it more.   

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #422 on: May 5, 2015, 10:16 PM »
I enjoyed it. I think it was on par with the first Avengers but no where near as good as GotG. 
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 6, 2015, 03:39 PM »
Yeah there was mind control from the the Witch but also during the scene where they start fighting in the tower when they have the Vision coffin...it was the same thing that happened in Avengers 1.

I didn't take that as the gem causing them to fight.  That was more Tony Stark going off and attaching an AI to the android, which is basically what started the entire problem to begin with.

+1

What was cool about the infighting this time is that it feels like a prelude to Civil War.  Not sure if they'll follow close to the comic, but the storyline *SPOILER* basically pits Iron Man's ideology against Cap's and everyone else takes sides.  In A2, you can see it start to spill over into the other characters as they align behind the team's two leaders.  The growing division between Steve & Tony's belief systems and the way they operate feels like added setup for Cap's next movie and I love that they tie the movies together in that way versus just springing some new, out-of-character approach to fit the plot.  The dynamic actually feels very similar to Anakin and Obi-Wan for me - practically brothers in a sense, but you can see the eventual rift growing between them.  Maybe I'm just adding unintended perspective based on what I think is coming, but its really well thought out if that's the direction they're taking.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #424 on: May 7, 2015, 09:27 AM »
Also there was that slight touch of bitterness when Stark replied, "He's the leader..."

I agree the fight was entirely about "He's going to build another Ultron - we gotta stop this!"  It wasn't some fuzzy-brained Mind Gem trick.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #425 on: May 7, 2015, 11:58 PM »
Maybe I'm remembering wrong then but I swore Thor even said that the gem was messing with their heads

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 8, 2015, 08:32 AM »
Finally caught it the other night and walked out of the theatre with no complaints whatsoever. That's pretty rare for me. I just thought everything was well done.

I do think they should have had Coulson on board the Helicarrier since he was the one who had it commissioned to be rebuilt in the first place. Dude is pretty much walking around out in the open all over so I don't know how people like Hawkeye and Widow who still have SHIELD connections wouldn't have realized he was still alive by now.

I liked seeing Linda Cardellini again as Mrs Hawkeye. And I guess I am a moron because i had no idea that Scarlet Witch was being played by one of the Olsen twins. Wow. They finally did something to earn some actual acting cred.

Also feel stupid now because I had no clue Klaw was in that movie. Did I blink and miss the guy in red suit with a cone hand? Or did this have something to do with the Wakanda/Vibranium conversation? We're not talking about that Aussie douche with the brand on his neck I hope?
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 8, 2015, 08:58 AM »
Elizabeth Olsen is the sister of the Olsen twins.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 8, 2015, 09:12 AM »
She is the more talented of the sisters. You will never hear her say, You got it dude!
The twins are fashion moguls.
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 8, 2015, 10:14 AM »
Ok, so they are still irrelevant. Whew!  :D
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 8, 2015, 11:29 AM »

I do think they should have had Coulson on board the Helicarrier since he was the one who had it commissioned to be rebuilt in the first place. Dude is pretty much walking around out in the open all over so I don't know how people like Hawkeye and Widow who still have SHIELD connections wouldn't have realized he was still alive by now.

Whedon said in an interview that this was done so that people who saw Avengers I but have not watched AoS would not be confused.  That said, Coulson could have been there to hand over project Theta, and had a quick moment with the team with some quip about how they revived him.

I am surprised that I haven't heard any Whedon-hater complain that he put a character into the story that essentially looks at the audience and literally says "I bet you didn't see that coming" as he is killed off.  LOL.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 8, 2015, 03:58 PM »

Also feel stupid now because I had no clue Klaw was in that movie. Did I blink and miss the guy in red suit with a cone hand? Or did this have something to do with the Wakanda/Vibranium conversation? We're not talking about that Aussie douche with the brand on his neck I hope?

That's exactly who that was.  He's going to be in Black Panther, most likely with the sonic hand considering Ultron whacked his arm off.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 8, 2015, 05:50 PM »

That's exactly who that was.  He's going to be in Black Panther, most likely with the sonic hand considering Ultron whacked his arm off.

This is probably his brief backstory.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #433 on: May 9, 2015, 07:18 AM »
Whedon said in an interview that this was done so that people who saw Avengers I but have not watched AoS would not be confused.  That said, Coulson could have been there to hand over project Theta, and had a quick moment with the team with some quip about how they revived him.

I also read Whedon thought it'd be cheap for him to pop up again "here I am!" when his sacrifice was the big thing that brought the team together in the first movie.  Though I agree it's hard to believe people like Stark, Black Widow and Hawkeye wouldn't have noticed he's still alive.  Maybe they were all working for boat SHIELD instead of basement SHIELD.

I am surprised that I haven't heard any Whedon-hater complain that he put a character into the story that essentially looks at the audience and literally says "I bet you didn't see that coming" as he is killed off.  LOL.

That was a nice touch.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 13, 2015, 07:22 AM »
I finally got to see the movie yesterday.  I thought it was very good, but had a significantly different tone than the first film.  The overall sense that got conveyed to me is that this is a far more dangerous world after the events of New York.  Collectively, it seems that the Avengers themselves realize their own mortality despite their super-human abilities.  And the introduction of the Scarlet Witch has brought their own personal wounds to the surface.

The divisions between Cap and Stark seemed pretty evident from the outset.  Rogers seems to have maintained his idealism and has  taken on that mantle of leadership in a very natural way.  While Tony recognizes that they've been lucky and that a fatality on the team seems more like a matter of "when" than "if".  And that did come to pass at the end of the film.  And that's why Stark developed the Iron Legion and it led to his plan to build Ultron.  As for the conflicting Artificial Intelligences?  I think that's an interesting way to introduce both Ultron and the Vision.

The fight between the Hulk and the Hulkbuster armor was AMAZING!  Banner and Stark both seem to have planned for the possibility of the Hulk going on a rampage like this in a meticulous way.  This is something that seems to have been in the back of Banners mind for some time.  He knows just how destructive the Hulk can be, and the fight between Iron Man and the Hulk really served to quantify why he is so fearful of a "Code Green" incident.  It also makes it abundantly clear why he chooses to disappear at the end of the film.

I definitely like how this film also managed to get characters like War Machine and Falcon involved.  They've been cool supporting characters in the other films, and seeing them come into their own in an Avengers film was pretty cool.  As for the new team?  It's going to be interesting to see where things go.  And based on the cast list for the next Cap movie, I get the feeling that the new team may work their way into that film first.

He's South African, but that's besides the point.  I thought his scenes were an interesting way to introduce Klaw, especially with him hoarding vibranium.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 08:58 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback