Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (HBO)  (Read 250191 times)

Offline BrentS

• Jedi Knight
  • I sense much fear in you.
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Thrones (HBO)
« Reply #405 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Well, glad to know I'm not crazy and I'm in good company of the confused.  I've been trying to stay a step of ahead of the TV show by reading the books but the back and forth jumping between the books and TV show has started to confuse me.    :)

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: April 28, 2014, 10:19 AM »
Here there be possible spoilers:

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Coldhands#cite_note-Radwd4.7B.7B.7B3.7D.7D.7D-1

Chapter 4, Dances with Dragons.  The fate of the mutineers, from the books.

That means, possibly we will be seeing a new character arrive next week?  But it still doesn't answer the question...did Jon Snow think of the mutineers as a security issue in the books?  I don't remember it, if he did.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 28, 2014, 12:00 PM »
  I just don't recall Theon/Reek ever letting the real info about Bran and Rickon's true fate getting exposed to Ramsey Snow and thereby Roose Bolton.

Ramsey was there as previous Reek, so he knows the truth about Bran and Rickon.  I don't think he ever told Papa, though:

From ASOIAF wiki:

Ramsay is taken as a prisoner to Winterfell in the guise of Reek. After Theon Greyjoy captures Winterfell, Ramsay exchanges a vow of service to Theon for his release.[8] He quickly becomes one of Theon's more trusted attendants, assisting Theon in his hunt to bring the escaped Bran and Rickon Stark back to Winterfell. He orchestrates Theon's cover-up of the Stark boys' escape by killing two peasant boys of an age with the Starks, and then flaying the corpses to avoid recognition. Theon presents their flayed corpses as the Starks, then has their heads mounted on spikes over the castle walls. With the approval of Theon, Ramsay kills Gelmarr, Aggar and Gynir, ironborn who knew the truth about the bodies. Theon uses the Winterfell kennelmaster Farlen as a scapegoat and has him executed for the murders. Theon contemplates killing Reek too, but thinks better of it, fearing the servant had written and hidden an account of the truth.

Loved last night's episode.  As a book reader (but not a book purist.  Those guys are ********), I loved being surprised for once.  And since Bran has only like 2.5 chapters left from where we are to where he ends up in ADWD as a tree, I'm ok with them slowing things down and having them show me more.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 29, 2014, 08:59 AM »
Thanks, Mikey.  I think GRRM made the whole Reek/Ramsey Bolton story very confusing for a reason.  I know that when I read that part of the story I found those  chapters more than a little bit murky.

The show is going to some logical places that perhaps have not been explored by the books.  Jon Snow's story at The Wall is among those.  Looking back at the book, it seems like his story was actually a little bit abridged.  He gets back to Castle Black just in time for the Wildlings to attack.  I get the sense that happened in the books simply because there were so many storylines that he was trying to roll into a single book.  In retrospect A Storm of Swords is a really dense book, with a lot going on.  I suspect that the show is expanding on Jon Snow's story in an effort to build his character a bit more in light of what's to come for him as established in the books.

The last scene, like I said before, was really creepy.  But I think it's necessary in the context of the show.  Because it is so easy to get caught up in Dany's story, and the intrigue at Kings Landing.  All we have to go on about the dangers that lie north of The Wall are scenes with characters like Jon Snow, Samwell Tarly and Bran Stark.  But those brief scenes with the White Walkers and Melisandre looking into some flames, telling Stannis that the true war lies to the North tell you where this story will eventually go.  As the Starks say, Winter is Coming.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #409 on: May 12, 2014, 10:32 AM »
Tyrion Lannister is awesome.  That is all I have to say about last night's episode.

Cannot wait for the "trial by combat" and its aftermath to play out.  :)
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: May 12, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Tyrion Lannister is awesome. 

Cannot wait for the "trial by combat" and its aftermath to play out.  :)

Agreed.

Braavos looks great, loved that establishing shot.

Drogon is a beast, loved that scene with him coming out of the ravine.

Oberyn (they still haven't called him RV yet) continues to grow as a badass.  Takes balls to not stand up at the small council meeting when Tywin shows ups.  Compare that to Mace, who's basically Tywin's secretary. 

The Iron Islanders / Dreadfort scene was a bit weird, but I know why they did it - to set up the Kingsmoot and Euron / Victorian - with Theon "dead"

And this was the first episode in the entire series with no Stark appearing.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: May 12, 2014, 01:35 PM »
It was great to finally see Braavos.  And the scene at the Iron Bank was fantastic for expanding on both Davos and Stannis.  Davos may have been a smuggler, but he's now representing himself well as the Hand of the King to a bank that's essentially the Goldman Sachs of it's time.  And he convinced them to bankroll Stannis.  It was cool to see Saladhor Saan again, too.  But I suspected that he would make his way back into the mix at some point.

The Meereen scenes are making more and more sense.  When I read the books I had a far more difficult time getting into the intrigue in Meereen, but the show is handling it pretty well.  Clearly, the dragons seem to be beyond Dany's control.  And that's almost certainly going to come into play later on.  As for Hizdhar Zo Loraq?  I think that scene played out well, but it seems as though he's trying to play on Dany's emotions and sense of justice.

The small council meeting was great.  The Red Viper's disdain for formality and kissing Tywin Lannister's ass was readily apparent.  And contrasting that against Mace Tyrell basically being Tywin's lapdog was pretty funny.  But I think the more important scene was clearly Jaime meeting with Tywin to bargain for Tyrion's life.  Jaime's path of redemption has been a great storyline.  And his loyalty to Tyrion is one of the only true and honest relationships in the entire series.  His willingness to leave the Kings Guard and agree to Tywin's demands in order to save Tyrion was a fantastic moment.

And then there was Shae.  The trial was absolutely a farce.  Especially Meryn Trant and Pycelle's testimony.  But Tyrion seemed prepared to go along with Jaime's plan until Shae took the stand.  And I could not blame him for letting loose on the sham that it was, and Cersei's clear attempts to draw him out with Shae.

Next week is going to be great!

Feedback

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #412 on: May 12, 2014, 02:31 PM »
It was nice to see the beginning of the betrayal cooked up by Tywin and Varys.  I gotta wonder with no prophesies if they'll bother with the pale mare at all.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #413 on: June 1, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Wow.  Like a ripe melon...
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 1, 2014, 11:02 PM »
I knew it was coming.  But the visual was that much more disturbing.

Feedback

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 2, 2014, 08:05 AM »
That fight was everything I hoped it could be and more.

Offline Greg

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 2, 2014, 08:23 AM »
Mind blowing episode.  Good stuff!

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 2, 2014, 08:59 AM »
I fricken hate this show sometimes!!! :o
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 2, 2014, 09:00 AM »
The fight was fantastic.  Pedro Pascal did an amazing job with his spear work!  HBO posted a BTS video about the preparation for the fight.  And it turns out that he wound up studying Wu Shu in preparing for this sequence, and that is the same martial art that Ray Park used for Darth Maul in Episode I.

One thing I'm glad about?  I was afraid that the Red Viper's dialogue during the fight scene was going to sound like something from Inigo Montoya in The Princess Bride.  Thankfully that was not the case.

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #419 on: June 2, 2014, 02:52 PM »
I fricken hate this show sometimes!!! :o

Having one of those nights myself.   ::)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77