Author Topic: The Mandalorian - Season 2 (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 1970 times)

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: The Mandalorian - Season 2 (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #150 on: December 19, 2020, 02:32 PM »
That was such a satisfying season finale. Fascinating story lines to expect -- chief among them the Bo-Katan/dark saber quandary and the reckoning with the Death Watch Mandos for revealing his face  -- but right now I can't help but get lost in what I just watched.

And, hell yeah, I want a figure of Big Bib.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2020, 02:35 PM »
That episode and all of your comments have put such a big smile on my face.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 20, 2020, 07:38 PM »
Definitely some of the best Star Wars action and storytelling I’ve seen in a long time... Awesome ending as well! It’s too bad Dave Filoni and John Farveau weren’t considered to develop/direct the Sequel Trilogy, since, as The Mandalorian proves, it would have been far better than what we got.
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Online GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 20, 2020, 08:13 PM »
The Mandalorian has been spectacular. It would be interesting to see what John and Dave would have done with a movie(s). I liked Swingers. But the ability to make good TV with hours of time and making a good movie in two hours are not the same skill. "Proves" is a strong word. The ST was far from perfect but the PT proved making another OT is tough. The Mandalorian proves nothing about the ST for me.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:05 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 21, 2020, 08:27 AM »
I was stunned by what this show has been able to do.  I have seen a good number of fans saying things like Favreau and Filoni should have produced the Sequel Trilogy, or that this episode was "a thumb in the eye to the people who said let old things die", etc.  Personally, I love what this show has done.  I think what we've seen is linked largely to the timeline of the OT and that era.  And we have seen very distinct eras across the three film trilogies, along with three different generations of characters.  "The Rescue" showed us at long last the Jedi Knight that Luke had become, in full command of his abilities to use the Force.  But I think that is something entirely different from the person that he would become thirty years later after both personal triumphs and tragedy, along with further galactic upheaval.

I'm left wondering where we go from here.  Because this story was not just about Din Djarin.  This was about him and Grogu.  It was about them bonding over the course of their journeys.  I've heard a number of people reference "Lone wolf and cub" as a significant influence on The Mandalorian, and I see those parallels.  At first the kid was just another job - a bounty to be collected.  But when they parted?  It was almost heartbreaking to see the expression on Din's face as the Child left with Luke.  The fact that Din Djarin completely revealed his face to Grogu spoke volumes about how much he had changed up to that point.  It leaves me thinking that Din might be somewhat lost.  Where does he go from here?  He seemed content to just give Bo-Katan the Dark Saber.  Removing his helmet as he has means that he can't go back to the Children of the Watch.

And then that ending.  I didn't see it coming at all.  And clearly neither did Bib Fortuna!  McClunkey, indeed.  BTW, check out his staff - fantastic easter egg!  It became clear in "The Tragedy" that Boba Fett has a code, and he honored what he saw as a debt to Din Djarin in the rescue of the Child.  So what kind of underworld boss will Boba Fett be?

So where do we go from here?  It seems like Din Djarin needs to find a path of his own.  Does he go to Sorgun?  Or will he join Bo-Katan in her struggle to re-unite the Mandalorians?  Jon Favreau is going to be on Good Morning America in a few minutes.  I'm curious to hear what he has to say, because I think they're going to ask him about that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 10:55 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 21, 2020, 08:38 AM »
Now we have answers!

The Book of Boba Fett is in production.  Season 3 of The Mandalorian is in pre-production, and will continue to follow Din Djarin.  Production on season 3 will commence following work on The Book of Boba Fett.  They're both set in the same timeline, as is Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka.  The Book of Boba Fett comes out in December 2021, and it looks like season 3 of The Mandalorian will come out in 2022.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 08:41 AM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 21, 2020, 10:40 AM »
While I'm sad to see Grogu and Din Djarin part, I'm also a little hopeful that this will allow for some more varied storytelling.  They had a great relationship and it was fun, but it would get old after awhile.

Like some have speculated, will Din Djarin help Bo-Katan reunite Mandalore and will he be in a support role or a lead role?  He could be the guy that scours the universe for more coverts and brings them all back in to the fold.

I think its totally logical that Luke would be the one to hear Grogu's call through the force and come get him.  I'm surprised Ashoka didn't send Din Djarin directly on a quest to find Luke, but I guess this is more interesting from a surprise storytelling perspective.

I may be the only one, but I'm really not that excited to have a Boba Fett spin off while we've got The Mandalorian going, although I thought the bit at the end where he goes and takes the throne was kind of funny.  I sure hope they're very, very different story designs and character arcs.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 21, 2020, 01:12 PM »
One angle I'm not seeing talked about much is why it's assumed it's a done deal that Luke has Grogu now. Who's to say that he's going to be successful in training the kid at all? I keep thinking about Ahsoka and the contrast between the two. Ahsoka sits with the child, "speaks" with him, gets to know him and understand him, and tests him and comes to the conclusion that he's too attached to Din and that she can't train him because she thinks that attachment could be a problem. Maybe that's just her oldschool jedi indoctrination at work or maybe she just has enough foresight to recognize how things might go if she separates them. Compare it with Luke, who pretty much shows up, convinces both parties, who are clearly hesitant, that he knows best, and takes the kid without a second thought. He's force sensitive, so he needs to be trained. Maybe Grogu's training won't go very well at all. Maybe his emotional connection to Din will be a problem ultimately. Maybe he will eventually abandon Luke and his training after sensing Din is going to be in danger, mirroring Luke ditching Yoda in ESB.

Din sent Grogu with Luke because he thought that's what he is supposed to do and what was best for the kid. Grogu went cuz he thought that's what Din wanted him to do and wanted to make him happy. I've often held the thought that the overarching plot here isn't that Grogu needs to be returned to his people, the jedi or whatever. That's just a misdirection. Din and Grogu eventually discovering that they are each others people and that they need each other, and this is just another bump in the road for their relationship, and the eventual discovery that Din is basically his Dad and Grogu his son. At least that's my hope. I want a tiny mando helmet wearing Grogu who decides to follow the way of the Mandalorian.

This could also be a first glimpse at Luke's setup for where he ends up in the sequels. Watch the scene again with grizzled Luke in mind. He's in full on Luke Skywalker, Jedi Legend mode here. The way he's mirroring Vaders Rogue One scene. His final move on the last Darktrooper, force crushing it rather than just ending it simply. It's cool and badass and everything and it's really fun to watch, but it's not very jedi like. It comes off as a little arrogant and show offy for a jedi. Think of Yoda's words and teachings. Adventure, excitement. A jedi caves not these things. A jedi uses the force for knowledge and defense. Never attack. Perhaps Grogu will be one of Luke's first lessons that being a jedi master isn't as simple as swinging a laser sword and being all mystical and legendary, eventually culminating in his failure with Ben Solo and the rise of Kylo Ren. I'm likely looking too much into it, but there may be more nuance to that ending beyond just "wow, Luke is a badass jedi."

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 21, 2020, 02:55 PM »
I'm likely looking too much into it, but there may be more nuance to that ending beyond just "wow, Luke is a badass jedi."

Heck, I just want to know where Luke stowed Grogu when they left in the X-Wing. I guess he could squeeze him in on his lap...it's not like there are extra seats.

Unless Luke knew he wasn't getting a full-sized trainee here, it's kind of an odd choice of a rescue vehicle to show up in. :P

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 21, 2020, 03:28 PM »
I'm likely looking too much into it, but there may be more nuance to that ending beyond just "wow, Luke is a badass jedi."

Heck, I just want to know where Luke stowed Grogu when they left in the X-Wing. I guess he could squeeze him in on his lap...it's not like there are extra seats.

I thought the same thing.  Hopefully he has a Baby (Yoda) Bjorn or something similar.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2020, 05:06 PM »
It's possible that Grogru might be a victim in Kylo Ren's attack on the academy.  :o

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2020, 05:36 PM »
BTW, check out his staff - fantastic easter egg!

You guys are going to have to help me out.  Maybe I'm getting old, but whose staff was this?

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2020, 06:32 PM »
It is the (non-movie prop) staff that came with the Kenner Bib Fortuna figure...that was another grin-worthy moment for me, Bib was my first ROTJ figure.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2020, 12:51 PM »
Late to the party and haven't commented much, but holy cow, this whole season. And that finale! I didn't believe they'd actually have the guts to get Luke out there, and still didn't believe until I saw the lightsaber handle followed by the hood removal. I'm not ashamed to say I shed a tear or two of joy/excitement. THAT is the Luke we all wanted in the Sequel Trilogy, just wrecking shop for a few minutes and doing all sorts of cool Force stuff.

For some reason all of my friends seem to think Gideon killed Bo Katan, but I thought she was clearly shown at the end? If anything, I'd guess that the Sasha Banks Mandalorian was killed.

I'm really intrigued to see where they go for Season 3. There's no way Disney gives up on Grogu just yet. So I'm wondering if we get a time lapse, or build through the season to some sort of reunion.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2020, 01:19 PM »
For some reason all of my friends seem to think Gideon killed Bo Katan, but I thought she was clearly shown at the end? If anything, I'd guess that the Sasha Banks Mandalorian was killed

All four of the ladies were standing behind Mando when Luke left, so all should be fine for next season.  Will be interesting to see what they do with a Light Imperial Cruiser and a captured Moff.  Got to imagine there is a pretty good bounty/reward for Gideon if they can get him to the New Republic.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender