Author Topic: Recents Finds and/or Purchases  (Read 45538 times)

Offline tmanthegreat

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Recents Finds and/or Purchases
« Reply #15 on: September 4, 2015, 02:06 PM »
I've managed to get the complete wave of the 6" figures, Rey's Jakku speeder, the elite TIE fighter, and a few figures, but have not been able to find Poe's X-wing anywhere, either last night or this morning.  Crappy or not, that was the ship I most wanted to get. 

I made a good sweep of my area this morning, checking several Targets, Wal Marts, and a Toys R Us.  Plenty of the new TIE fighters.  I did find the X-Wing on Amazon.com, however, and managed to get $10 off the purchase price, which brought it down to the same price it is at Toys R Us, etc.  I have Prime so the shipping was free and it will arrive in a couple days.  Should have done that first before I went out this morning as I easily burned $10+ in gas driving all over town for little gain!

Disconcerting thing was that in at least two Target Stores that I hit between 8:00 and 8:30am - stores that were not open the previous evening - things looked very picked over right at the offset.  Not sure if employees got first grabs, but it almost looks like they did :-\
Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it binds the galaxy together ;D

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 4, 2015, 02:45 PM »
Has anyone found the Mission Series figures?  My Target didn't have pegs for them (and didn't have the figures either)?

No, by all accounts they have not been released yet. I was at K-Mart today and they had shelf tags for these (DSN 2-pack $14.99) so hopefully they show up soon.
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 4, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Disconcerting thing was that in at least two Target Stores that I hit between 8:00 and 8:30am - stores that were not open the previous evening - things looked very picked over right at the offset.  Not sure if employees got first grabs, but it almost looks like they did :-\

I've only stopped at two Targets and a WM today.  Both Targets appear to only have stocked one case of each assortment.  WM did a pre-packed pallet drop that seemed to be about two cases of the basic figures and one of the armored up stuff.

For those three stores, if you weren't the first one there, then I'm sure it looked picked over if a collector got there first.  I know there was one Target employee buying stuff at 8AM with me at one of the stores.

Haven't stopped at a TRU yet.

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 4, 2015, 03:51 PM »
Yeah, i was in and out of Target this morning within 10 minutes of opening time. There were 2 other guys waiting there with me. It's a pretty narrow window of opportunity with these things right now.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 5, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I wasn't able to make it out for Midnight Madness, so I made a toy run (first real one in a long time) Friday morning, starting about 9:30.  I hit Target first, not too much left really.  I was able to pick up the Black Series Finn, Kylo Ren, and Chewie there.  I also picked up Rey's Speeder, the Rey LEGO set, and the Rey POP Vinyl (can you tell my daughter is excited for the character of Rey?).  After getting the discount (plus my employer's discount), I saved quite a bit here.  No basic figures left aside from Luke/Vader - but a nice selection of SW toys overall.

Next I hit Wal-Mart.  I figured there would be something shortly after entering, but I saw no sign of Star Wars at all.  Hit the action figure aisle - nothing, aside from older stock.  Finally found a shipper dealy next to electronics where they had a good amount of the Black Series 6" (aside from the Stormtrooper), the basic figures, and the armor figures.  They had some of the LEGO too I think, but I didn't see any vehicles or anything here.  Overall, kind of a poor showing at WM as far as toys go.

Finally I stopped by TRU, not really expecting to find anything this much later, and didn't end up buying anything.  They had lots of stuff, plenty of basic figures and armor figures and everything else.  They had 6" Kylo, Finn, and Chewie and that was it.  Definitely the best selection overall of any place though.

Overall, it just didn't seem like there was that much stock for a lot of places.  The Black Series definitely seemed to be the hot item.  I only saw Poe's X-Wing at Target, so that must have been selling well too.  As far as things I didn't see at all (or even a spot for): the Millennium Falcon, the BIG TIE, the Mission Series two packs, or anything past the first wave of any line.  Oh, and also never saw the Stormtrooper, but it was obviously the first to go from the Black Series wave.  Aside from Rey's speeder, I held off on vehicles for now but I hope to pick some up later on.  I really like the design of Poe's X-Wing (and the TIE for that matter), despite the poor reviews.  I may grab that Snowspeeder as well, sort of waiting for some reviews on that one.

Offline GrandMoffNick

• Jedi Master
  • You are what you choose to be
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 5, 2015, 11:35 AM »
The Snowspeeder is disappointing to me. The nose is too narrow. I like the other vehicles. I wish the x wing was bigger. Love the tie. Love reys speeder. Like finns speeder more than I expected. Elite speeder is nice especially the trooper. Assault walker is meh
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 02:33 AM by GrandMoffNick »
This is the water, and this is the well. Drink full, and descend. The horse is the white of the eyes, and dark within

Offline Scockery

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 5, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Anyone close to a Meijer, they have 10% off of select Force Awakens toys. One store I went to didn't have any regular figures left. 

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 5, 2015, 03:18 PM »
Wow! What a bust for midnight madness. I couldn't believe how little product was out there. I have to caveat that I was lucky and got most of what I wanted, but the sheer lack of product for the crowds that amassed was appalling.

A few buddies and I arrived at the Burbank TRU at 10:30am. First in line. Three of us at first. Camped out, played games, caught up with each other. Around noon, management told us that they had only 5 cases of 6 inch and hadn't unloaded the rest of the palates yet. Also said that the line was getting long at Los Filez (a bigger store) and that they had less stock. First person behind showed up soon after, then left. Three more of our party showed up and the guy who left returned at 4pm to be in the same exact spot behind us. More people did't start showing up until 6pm. By then, we heard the other stores line was pretty big. Our line didn't really start going until 8pm, then just grew.

When we finally got let in the store, they only let 10 people in at a time. We were first 10. We were all shocked at how little of the figures were there. They must have gotten only 5 cases of each assortment. Although it was fairly calm getting my figures, which included all of the wave 1 six inch (no wave 2 there) and all of the stormtroopers, Kylo and a select few other figure I wanted right off the bat. The others I figure I can pick up later. Picked up all the vehicle except the x-wing, of course. After the third group of 10, the store was pretty much wiped out of figures and there were still more than 200 people in line. Even Seth Green (in line behind us) got denied. Ran into a buddy today who was way back in line who went in anyway after we left and said they kept the store open and just let people walk in to see for themselves that there was were no figures. I'm just so shocked over this.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 6, 2015, 12:55 AM »
I got the Kanan and Scout Bomber deluxe set on FF, nothing else to be had for Rebels, sadly.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 6, 2015, 09:43 AM »
Midnight Madness, for me, had some odd twists and turns but I wound up getting everything I had planned on before I made it home (before 1:30 AM, amazingly).

A friend and I decided we would hit Target at midnight, so we drove by around 11 to see there was no line and only a few cars. "Great," we thought, so to kill a few minutes, we went to the Walmart a block up the street to see what they had done. As it turns out, they had already stocked about four cases of basic 3.75" figures and two cases of the "armor" figures but not much else, leaving a ton of empty space. We didn't see anyone else around working on the area, and this particular WM doesn't have the best reputation for, well, anything, so we left to go back to Target.

Thankfully (or so we thought) there was still no line although there were more cars in the lot. One guy was seated on the big red ball on his phone, so we walked over to stand with him, only to discover the doors were open. As it turns out, the doors had been open the entire time and Target was allowing everyone to go inside. So, after my friend picked up some cat food (spoiler alert: all we wound up buying at Target that night), we walked to the back to find two separate mobs of about 40 people total in no semblance of a line. About 15 people were crowded around the action figure aisle, which was cordoned off and "guarded" by a Target employee, and the remainder were in the seasonal area for the Chewbacca raffle and other items. No line, just a crowd.

My friend finally asked where the line started and one of the guys in the group responded "Uh, here?" which wasn't helpful, but it did motivate the Target employees to organize things a bit. Two things happened the. Which soured my mood considerably, though. The first was that I got to look down the aisle itself and saw that Target had not gotten any 6" Black Series figures (my main, and my friend's only, reason for coming out). The second was a guy who came barreling down the aisle with a cart toward the Lego section and began asking, "Are those old or new?" Is that from the new movie? Is that going to be hot?"  At that point, knowing how this was shaping up, and knowing we'd be leaving with nothing anyway, we left the line, she paid for her cat food, and we made it to TRU at the stroke of midnight.

TRU had about 16 people in line (counting us) and had a pretty good supply of things, all things considered. Oddly, most people went straight for Funko Pops or lightsabers, so my friend and I were able to check out the 6" figures. Unfortunately TRU only got 1 case, and a girl in front got Kylo Ren, so we split the remaining 4 (I guess the other Kylo didn't make it to the floor). I also got the Hero Mashers Fett, just because it's Boba Fett, and we got our posters and Lego brick as we left.

As we were leaving, and since it was so close, we decided to circle back to the Walmart from the beginning of the story to see if they had done anything else. As it turns out, they had done more than anybody else had, and had fully stocked EVERYTHING. So, we were able to finish our sets of 6" Black Series, plus my friend got her Hero Mashers Jar Jar, plus I got my Lego Buildable Grievous (which, let me tell you folks, is the best thing I've gotten from this whole Force Friday blitz. It's truly amazing and a lot of fun, and if you enjoy Lego and Technic building, or just want something huge and cool and fun, BUY THIS GRIEVOUS TOY.)

Over the course of the last two days, I've gotten some other things here and there at other stores, the various retailers now look like wastelands for the most part, and my bank account cries like a baby, although not as badly as it did in 1999, 2002, 2005, and 2008 thanks to the lack of SA stuff (especially in the latter). Could it have been handled better?  Absolutely. I think I had it luckier than a lot of folks due to living in a more rural area, so I'm thankful for that. Hopefully, though, the bare shelves will mean they get restocked soon, and hopefully it will be with new, wave 2 product, because I really want a 6" Phasma.  :)

So, that said, my haul since Thursday at midnight:

-6" Black Series Finn, Rey/BB-8, Kylo Ren, Chewbacca, Stormtrooper

-3.75" Rey's Speeder with Rey

-3.75" Desert Landspeeder with Finn

-Hero Mashers Boba Fett, Han Solo vs Boba Fett, Jar Jar Binks

-Funko Pop Vinyl Captain Phasma, Kylo Ren, Rey (Hot Topic Exclusive Version)

-Lego Poe's X-Wing Fighter

-Lego General Grievous Buildable Figure (Seriously, guys and girls, BUY THIS!!!)

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 6, 2015, 12:41 PM »
Friday morning I was at my local Walmart and Target stores when they opened, neither was open at midnight.

Modest selection at both stores, but I wasn't blown away by quantities or anything.

I was shocked at how much extra "junk" is filling the Seasonal Section display at Target - and now even two days later all that stuff is STILL sitting there (no surprise really)

At Walmart, I grabbed:
1x Kylo Ren Armor-up
1x Finn Armor-up
1x Boba Fett Armor-up
1x Luke Armor-up
1x Kylo Ren Build-a-Weapon
1x Resistance Fighter
1x Rey Build-a-Weapon
2x First Order TIE Pilot

And then at Target I grabbed:
2x Poe Dameron's X-Wing
1x Finn's Desert Speeder
1x Kylo Ren (BAW)
1x Bespin Luke
1x Darth Vader
1x Finn Armor-up

On Saturday, I swung by Kmart, I had gotten an email that I had $3 in Shop Your Way rewards points if I spent $20 in toys, found:
1x First Order TIE Pilot
1x First Order Stormtrooper Armor-up

So I'm done with all of the Wave 1 figures and smaller vehicles. still need to get the Falcon (obviously). I keep hoping it will show up on Target.com so I can use the coupon towards it.

I went ahead and ordered cases of the 2-pack figures from EE just to get them out of the way - they indicate they're getting them this month so the wait shouldn't be too long.

Gotta find the WM Black Series wave 1 figures now and I'll be all set until the Wave 2 stuff starts hitting.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2015, 12:53 PM by Pete_Fett »
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2015, 07:15 AM »
I picked up Sarco Plank, Captain Phasma, a First Order Stormtrooper as well as the Special Forces TIE Fighter yesterday. 
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2015, 03:48 PM »
The Toys R Us I went to Thursday night had one aisle of toys.  Of that, maybe 2 dozen pegs of regular figures?

There was somewhere between 65 and 75 people there I'd guess, and none of them were 9 year old Billy with his parents.

The initial launch should have been completely collector focused, with the more kid oriented stuff taking a back seat.  I bought 6 figures and a handful of the small and mid-size vehicles, but the Kylo Rens and Phasmas were long gone by the time I got into the aisle. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 9, 2015, 10:17 AM »
Hasbrotoyshop has several of the 3.75" (non-SA) and all of the 6" figures (wave 1) up on the site.  At the moment you can get Kylo Ren (both scales), Phasma (3.75), Stormtrooper (both scales), Flametrooper (3.75).  All for decent pricing and no minimum for shipping.

Offline Greedo The Green Menace

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 9, 2015, 05:09 PM »
I've gotten 6 of the standard line figures, Kylo Ren, Rey, FO Stormtrooper, Phasma, Flametrooper and Constable Zuvio. I'm surprisingly impressed by these despite the low articulation count. They feel solid like a POTF2 figure, but with the sculpting and detail of a modern black series figure. I'm having quite a bit of fun with them, feels like when I started collecting again, before I was worried about POAs and was more interested in how awesome it was to finally have a Bossk and a Gonk and Jawa.