Author Topic: Not interested?  (Read 2688 times)

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
Not interested?
« on: March 30, 2005, 07:39 AM »
Am i alone here?
I'm actually not very excited about any of these figures.
I saw some of them today and was really unimpressed
The more i see of them the more it makes me think about dropping collecting 3inch alltogether.
I don't know why it is because i get goosebumps everytime i see the trailer , it's just that the new toys don't seem to excite me at all.
In fact i think it's got me thikning i don't need any of these things at all, i do know i will be picking up the MR minisabers from ep3 and thats probably about it.
Is there something wrong with me???
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Not interested?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 08:00 AM »
Maybe you are just moody lately?  I don't know.  I am plenty excited about them.  However, I THOUGHT I was not going to be.  When the pics kept rolling in the more excited I got. 

If you are not at least you are saving yourself a lot of money. 

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 09:32 AM »
Maybe you are just moody lately?  I don't know.  I am plenty excited about them.  However, I THOUGHT I was not going to be.  When the pics kept rolling in the more excited I got. 

If you are not at least you are saving yourself a lot of money. 

Yeah - me too - the more pics I see the more excited I am - when we got the latest insider, my son got REALLY excited thanks to the back-cover gatefold poster of all 56 figures!

I wish I could say I wasn't interested and save some money, but it would only be a temporary thing and then I'd be stuck playing the "catch-up" game, which ALWAYS sucks.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 12:25 PM »
I've had the same feelings and have discussed it with Dale via pm's.  The small line is getting somewhat tiresome, to me anyway.  I've often thought of redirecting my money towards Gentle Giant, Master Replicas, etc.  I guess I should rephrase that, I'd just be saving the money that Hasbro gets. 

I've largely solved the problem by becoming more selective.  I got caught up in the hype of this line by finding some quite early (about 2 weeks ago) so I bought some figures I already regret.  They aren't horrible, but I could have lived without them.  It's mostly the adrenaline of the hunt that I need to suppress to get over this stuff.  I love finding new things though. 

The thought that keeps coming into my head is how many __________ figures do I need, whether it's Luke, Anakin, Obi-Wan or anyone else.  I'll likely by every army builder/clone/storm/trooper that comes out and every Vader or R_-__ droid, but beyond that I should really have better restraint. 

And while the action figures do detract from the Collection 1 figures, at least they stand in neutral poses this time around, not something hideous like Arena Padme was for the last movie. 

I don't think you're alone, but the collective mentality here feeds the hype pretty well.  We're all geeks, we're all pumped.  Sad, ain't it? ;)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 12:30 PM »
Well I can't afford to get all the figures this time around.  Not with a newborn baby and a mortage and possibly an upcoming move to the west coast.  However, I will try and get some of it.  I wish I could acquire a majority of it, but not all. 

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 04:52 PM »
Yes, there's something VERY wrong with you Hemish.   :P

Nah, some folks just hit that point where the 4" line just doesn't do it for them anymore.  But I think your boys will certainly be disappointed!   ;)

Some of the ROTS collection 1 figures are kinda crappy to be honest, but their Coll. 2 stuff is pretty nice.  Plus, maybe it's just because you haven't seen the film yet, and don't feel personally connected to these new figures yet.  I dunno...

I'm not allowed to (ever) quit collecting them though.  My OCD won't allow it.  Of course, a prescribed medication may help me, I suppose...  :-[

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 04:59 PM »
You know, I was getting to the point where I'd pick up a figure, get to the register, go ape ****, put it down and leave the store. I could not figure for the life of me why, but since I started finding Episode 3 figures, I've not had that problem. It's really freakin' weird.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 05:06 PM »
I dunno.... I'm more pumped about these figures than the EPI and SAGA stuff... the quality is so much better.  Plus, there are so many more army-builders to enjoy!

:P

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 11:54 PM »
It's funny cause my dad was hiding the kmart catalogue when i went there last night cause it had a 2 page spread of the new stuff coming out,

I think they were scared i'd run out and buy everything :)
This was almost enough to get me back but i keep looking at it and think do i really want it? do i need it? i guess i'm starting to question my focus in this hobby, and the fact that the smaller stuff isn't doing anything for me or for that matter any of the newer hasbro stuff isn't doing anything for me, i guess my focus will prolly shift to MR and GG i don't think it will cost as much cause i seem to be out of the completist mentality which is a very good thing, well to all those that are gonna be going after these horrible pieces of plastic crack, good luck and i hope you get your enjoyment out of them.

The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 12:18 AM »
As for me...Collection 1 and the deluxe line look pretty bad. I won't be buying any deluxe figures and Col1 will have just a few purchases from me.

Collection 2, though, looks interesting. I recieved Agen Kolar in a  trade and I think he's a great figure.

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 12:48 AM »
Am i alone here?
I'm actually not very excited about any of these figures.
Is there something wrong with me???

Sometimes, I find this can happen to me too.  I've decided it's because when you get excited about something for so long, the hype just builds, and builds, and builds.  By the time that item is released, you've been looking forward to it for so long that nothing could live up to that hype.  It can take a while for the enjoyment to come back.   :-[

But that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if you've broken that completist mentality.  Try out a different line like you mentioned, MR or GG, and see if that brings back the excitement.  You may find that it is buying 1 item for a larger $$ that gives you more fulfillment.

:)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 01:13 AM »
That is, as mentioned before, exactly how I feel about MR stuff and the higher end stuff.  It's just nicer.  It looks better for the most part, it's got a wow factor and something that seems more justifiable at this age. 

Or maybe it's just my eye sight is failing and I need bigger toys. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 03:18 AM »
I agree with the bigger toys thing. Only I lust for a Jeep Wrangler and one of those four-stroke Sea-Doos. And enough money to keep both fueled, paid for, and insured.  :)
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk