Author Topic: Styrene Construction Questions  (Read 15968 times)

Offline IncomT65

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Styrene Construction Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01 PM »
I know of Gundam but never really took much interest in it, but I saw that hovertank in the link you posted and it's a great design. And you just decided to take it and double its scale, ha! Looking great already, despite being in an early stage. I love seeing how things come together. Persevere with this amazing project, Dion! Keep us updated, but don't rush things just to update. Ah, what am I saying, you're no noob, you know your customizing  8)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 12:15 AM »
That does look sharp...  Are you making it for Star Wars though or something else?

I don't know if Tap's stuff is expensive or tougher to find but my two styrene bonding favorities are Devcon 2-part Plastic Welder which is cheap and available at Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc.  It's an epoxy but it welds styrene very well, and works great on PVC also which is tougher to find good "welders" for.

My other favorite is plast-structs plastic welder, which has the consistency of water and is pure clear too.  Very strong, and tough to work with as it sets quickly, but it's a true "plastic welder" in that it melts styrene so two styrene pieces become one.  It should be available at any hobby shop worth anything in your area.  It takes some getting used to though, as it dries quickly so you must work fast.  Test-fit and all that crap first...

Been ages since I worked on a vehicle.  I need to get off my duff when I get some free time and maybe put a small speeder together for poops and giggles.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Straxus

• Jedi Initiate
  • Flaming Human Torso Productions
    • View Profile
    • My MYSPACE page
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2008, 06:34 PM »
The TAP Plastics Acrylic Cement is pretty much exactly like the description you gave for the Plast-struct Plastic Welder. It does set a bit fast but that works for me.
I just brought home two 4x4 sheets of 1/16 inch styrene so I can resume construction on it and another idea I have...
...carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where dimensions intersect...