Author Topic: Andor (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 12199 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: Andor (SPOILERS possible)
« Reply #135 on: November 22, 2022, 09:16 AM »
In the early episodes, the very clunky and odd bit of data about Bee needing extra energy to lie was delivered, they made a little joke out of it. In this episode, they made mention of the fact that he has been charging constantly ever since Maarva died, they showed that he's actively charging with the indicator light on his face blinking, and he wouldn't even leave home when it was requested of him.

Is this a hint that Bee is lying about something? Is Maarva up to something/was up to something and now he feels obligated to finish it, or potentially his apparent grief is his clumsy attempt to act normal knowing that Maarva's death was faked?

This is a good catch.  I think you're on to something.  I don't want to speculate on my thoughts on what might happen if there is a plan in place that Bee is aware of.  Hopefully we'll find out tomorrow.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2022, 02:07 PM »
So that was a collapsable walking stick and not a lightsaber?  It did look like it was wood, but it did look like a lightsaber hilt too.

It's a pepper grinder.

Someone found a closeup of the Black Series mural for Luthen.  It appears to be some kind of a knife.

But I share your disappointment, Matt.  It would have made for a fine pepper grinder.

BTW, did anyone else appreciate the designation of the Imperial cruiser as a Cantwell class ship?  It was nice to see designer Colin Cantwell get that kind of nod in the show.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2022, 02:21 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2022, 02:42 PM »

BTW, did anyone else appreciate the designation of the Imperial cruiser as a Cantwell class ship?  It was nice to see designer Colin Cantwell get that kind of nod in the show.

Also I absolutely loved the Cantwell-class Arrestor, specifically since they gave it that class. I remember seeing the model in one of the early 90's NF Star Wars books. (Lucasfilm Archives or something?) and thinking how different a take on the Star Destroyer it was. Never did I expect to see one made to fit the universe...and from what I understand this was just fortuitous for the show, since the 3D computer model used was built up for the Solo movie but the scene got cut (It is still in the film, but just barely in the recruitment hologram on Correlia.) So it was unique, and ready-to-go, and already paid for! Good budgeting! Now get Colin's Landspeeder into a show, somebody!

I did.  :P

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 23, 2022, 11:35 AM »
No time for details, but damn the finale was amazing. Ferrix is now as important as any world in this story.

I am someone who like The Last Jedi, but I would say this is the kind of arthouse story Rian Johnson wished he had made.
Macklunkey!

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 23, 2022, 09:03 PM »
I’ll wait another day to post comments, but damn that was sweet.

Make sure you catch the end scene after the credits and before the international credits.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2022, 09:51 PM »
I noticed Andor Episode 1 was being broadcast on ABC tonight.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen Disney+ shows on cable or network TV.  I wonder if they’re going to show the whole season or if they’re using it as a teaser to try and pull people in to a Disney+ subscription.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2022, 10:24 PM »
Too avoid spoilers for folks I won't say anything but....wow!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: November 25, 2022, 03:48 AM »
I know it is early still... but man, Andor might be my favorite Disney-era show/movie, and it honestly is in the running for my favorite Star Wars media, period. I LOVED IT.
"This is the way."

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2022, 09:36 AM »
I haven’t been in here because after the three episodes on opening night I waited and binged it all this week. 

To me it isn’t a question, it’s hands down the best Star Wars since the original trilogy.  It’s serious and gritty and has gravitas.  It’s grappling with huge themes and concepts and archetypes without simultaneously trying to pander to the widest possible audience and age range.  The production value is sky high.  The performances are rock solid throughout on every level.  10 out of 10, perfection.  I can’t wait until season two.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2022, 09:59 PM »
Time magazine had an interesting writeup about the show talking about how this is the best Disney+ show they’ve made so far, but most people don’t appreciate it.  Most of the Disney+ stuff is very kid oriented with lots of cameos, while Andor is adult oriented with no real cameos or obvious kid focus (with a cure character like Grogu).

I thought this show was 95% perfect.  I loved that there were no Jedi, and no Sith Lords, just regular people on both sides of the conflict.  I loved the story arcs and how Cassian went from a mercenary to a anti-imperial rebel volunteer.

The only thing that I thought wasn’t perfect was the Aldhani story arc.  It really should have been tightened up and shortened by about 30%.   Some of that dragged too much, but ultimately I thought the other story arcs and the whole scope was really, really good.

Probably 400% better than BoBF.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2022, 11:02 AM »
I have to say that the end of season 1 of ANDOR really delivered!  I was not sure what to expect of this series before it began.  And I was even more unsure after that first episode.  But the place setting for everything was done in such a painstaking way.  Characters were well written and developed.  And the whole three episode arc method really gave the show a series of milestones that built things up in an organic way.  So when we got to the final episode it came to that breaking point.

Building seemed to be a recurring theme of the series.  Luthen was building up his network of operatives and spies.  He was building up Cassian from a thief into an operative.  Vel Sartha was building up her team for the Aldhani raid.  Dedra Meero was building her career as a senior ISB officer. The Empire was unwittingly building resolve among the people of Ferrix with their oppressive tactics and callous disregard for the populace.  Cassian was LITERALLY building things along with the other inmates on Narkina 5.  And it seems that Luthen was trying to build an alliance between rebel factions.

I did not know what to expect from Fiona Shaw when I saw that she was cast in the series.  Maybe I still associated her with Harry Potter's mean aunt from those films.  But that speech in "Rix Road"?  She knocked that out of the park!  I just watched it again and it gave me the chills.

Luthen clearly achieved what he had set out to do with the Aldhani job.  He secured funding for the movement, and in the process he manipulated the Empire into showing who they really were.  There still appears to be no established Rebel Alliance.  But it seems like that's prime material for the next season.  And the seeds are clearly being planted.  The scene with the KX enforcer droid.  Melshi being imprisoned and escaping with Cassian.  And of course, that beautiful post credits scene!

Also I absolutely loved the Cantwell-class Arrestor, specifically since they gave it that class. I remember seeing the model in one of the early 90's NF Star Wars books. (Lucasfilm Archives or something?) and thinking how different a take on the Star Destroyer it was. Never did I expect to see one made to fit the universe...and from what I understand this was just fortuitous for the show, since the 3D computer model used was built up for the Solo movie but the scene got cut (It is still in the film, but just barely in the recruitment hologram on Correlia.) So it was unique, and ready-to-go, and already paid for! Good budgeting! Now get Colin's Landspeeder into a show, somebody!

I did.  :P

Yes!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 11:04 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 28, 2022, 03:17 PM »
I watched the finale again and loved it even more the second time.

At first I thought Cassian's jump to the rebel cause and statement to Luthen to "kill him or take me in" was a little sudden/extreme, but re-watching the episode it was great to see his interactions with his friends on Ferrix, his visual responses to Maarva's speech, etc.  This all made a lot more sense on the second view.  I think originally Cassian was going to leave with Bix and his friends, but realized he couldn't keep running and hiding, and that he wanted to move to a more active participation mode in the Rebellion.

This was a fantastic, adult oriented Star Wars series.  I still like The Mandalorian and the more kid oriented content, but its great they can do something more serious and adult in the same universe.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 29, 2022, 08:20 AM »
There was one moment in "Rix Road" that had strong echoes of a scene in ROGUE ONE. 

The scene in RO was on Eadu, when Cassian was about to kill Galen Erso.  He had Galen in his sights and was ready to pull the trigger.  But then something struck him.  A moment of his conscience telling him this was wrong?  I actually took it as the Force speaking to Cassian, and it guided him to do spare Galen.

In "Rix Road", the moment that struck me was when Cassian was hiding in the attic of that building overlooking the square.  A breeze blew through, and it looked like something resonated with him.  And then the shot cut to Bix in her cell at the Imperial offices.  It seemed like such a similar moment for Cassian.  Whether or not he was Force sensitive is irrelevant.  But perhaps this is how the Force connects to ordinary people when they're thrust into extraordinary situations?  Because it seemed like he somehow knew exactly where to find Bix.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 08:21 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 29, 2022, 09:08 PM »
There was one moment in "Rix Road" that had strong echoes of a scene in ROGUE ONE. 

The scene in RO was on Eadu, when Cassian was about to kill Galen Erso.  He had Galen in his sights and was ready to pull the trigger.  But then something struck him.  A moment of his conscience telling him this was wrong?  I actually took it as the Force speaking to Cassian, and it guided him to do spare Galen.

In "Rix Road", the moment that struck me was when Cassian was hiding in the attic of that building overlooking the square.  A breeze blew through, and it looked like something resonated with him.  And then the shot cut to Bix in her cell at the Imperial offices.  It seemed like such a similar moment for Cassian.  Whether or not he was Force sensitive is irrelevant.  But perhaps this is how the Force connects to ordinary people when they're thrust into extraordinary situations?  Because it seemed like he somehow knew exactly where to find Bix.

I think you are overthinking how he found her. Everybody tells him Bix is in the hotel and the cook in the hotel tells him where to go.
Macklunkey!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2022, 06:11 AM »
Regarding where precisely to find Bix?  Maybe.  But watch the scene again.  Specifically at 29:33.  Look at Cassian and Bix.

Feedback