Author Topic: The MCU post Endgame.  (Read 12285 times)

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
Re: The MCU post Endgame.
« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2021, 04:02 PM »
Some spoilers for those that haven't watched the D+ shows.

I finished Loki the other night.  Weird, okay, but a little disappointing.  Caveat - I'm not a Marvel guy so I haven't read the comics and really just care about a good story.

I've also watched WandaVision and Falcon and the Winter Soldier.

I get that the MCU Disney+ stories are building toward a multiverse story in the movies, but I'm less than satisfied when the Disney+ series just sort of end without anything resembling a resolution.

WandaVision ended without me really understanding what happened to Vision (white version) and the kids.  I'm not sure that Wanda even cared.

Loki ended it total chaos without people even recognizing one another.

Falcon and The Winter Soldier is the only series that seemed mostly self contained with a beginning and an end.  It was the only one that felt satisfying to watch, and the only one that held my kid's interest.  They both bailed early on WandaVision and Loki.

I'm not sure what's next in MCU D+ lineup, but I sure hope it has a coherent story otherwise I may be giving up on watching these series with any sort of interest.  I'm not really interested in watching 10+ hours of content to learn that Wanda has more powers, a multiverse exists, and things are going to get a little nuts.  That should be able to be covered in the beginning of any movie where its relevant.  I'm a little worried the next SpiderMan is going to be more of the same that we saw in Loki - e.g. "here comes the multiverse and its a mess".

I'm assuming the target audience for these D+ series is hard core Marvel nerds (looking at you JediJman) and not more casual Marvel fans like myself. 

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2021, 04:12 PM »
I believe several of the upcoming movies involve the multiverse, so not sure if there will be resolution soon.  Of course, I may likely be wrong since I’m not as big of a fan as others on here.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2021, 03:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to Shang Chi next weekend.  Early reviews are really good.  The fact that they didn't put an embargo on reporting reviews is a good sign as well!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 9, 2021, 01:19 PM »
I forgot to mention that I took my kids to go see Shang Chi this weekend.

We really enjoyed the movie and the ties to the overall MCU are intresting.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Chris M

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Time to nut up or shut up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 9, 2021, 03:39 PM »
I'm mixed on moving forward with Marvel.  I'm sure there stories will be great, but it will be hard to get past not seeing the Avengers  It kills me that we won't have Cap and Iron Man as we have known them.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."  Ben franklin

Embrace the suck.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 9, 2021, 08:22 PM »
I'm mixed on moving forward with Marvel.  I'm sure there stories will be great, but it will be hard to get past not seeing the Avengers  It kills me that we won't have Cap and Iron Man as we have known them.

I hear you, but will be very surprised if we never see them again.
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 09:13 AM »
Do you think the multi-verse is going to pull all the dead main characters back in to a common timeline - Captain America, Black Widown, Loki, etc.?

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 09:44 AM »
Do you think the multi-verse is going to pull all the dead main characters back in to a common timeline - Captain America, Black Widown, Loki, etc.?

Well, they can do anything ow that they've introduced the multi-verse.  It literally opens the door for any possibility including bringing back dead characters or completely resetting the MCU as we know it at any time.  My prediction is that we'll see a bunch of other stuff over the next several years as they continue to introduce different characters and teams.  We'll probably get Dark Avengers, Young Avengers and of course the X-Men and Fantastic Four and maybe less focus on the Avengers for a while.  But then at some point in the future you're going to get a mirror image of the final Star Wars trilogy where those beloved originals make a comeback as old mentors.  I will be shocked if we never see RDJ's Iron Man again or an aged Chris Evans back as Cap.  Or at least other actors portraying those original characters.  It feels inevitable. Very few characters actually die and go away forever in the comics.  The only exception there might be Scarlett Johansson or other actors with a grudge against the studio.
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Online Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2021, 01:33 PM »
That looks like it's going to be fun!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #40 on: November 5, 2021, 04:26 AM »
I forgot to mention that I took my kids to go see Shang Chi this weekend.

We really enjoyed the movie and the ties to the overall MCU are interesting.

I thought Shang Chi was great. While it did feel like a Marvel movie, it felt more like a love letter to the great Kung Fu movies. I'm real excited to see where it goes in phase 4 and beyond and how it connects to the rest of the MCU. THe rings I'm guessing are either tech from the Multiverse or they have something to do with the Eternals... which also looks good and I'm planning on trying to go to that this weekend.
"This is the way."

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 5, 2021, 10:12 AM »
Gong to see Eternals tomorrow.  Not really sure what to expect from this one, but I trust in the Marvel team's plan...they've been well so far.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 5, 2021, 04:40 PM »
Gong to see Eternals tomorrow.  Not really sure what to expect from this one, but I trust in the Marvel team's plan...they've been well so far.

Saw it last night and it was just so-so.  They did a good job misdirecting the plot, but you could tell kind of early on that not everyone on the team was on the same page.  I don't want to say more than that for plot spoilers, but I'll add that for me they never really come together as a "team" the way the Guardians and the Avengers do. Lots of plot holes in this one and it frankly just felt like a long set up/introduction to me.  I did like the battle scenes and the side characters like Dane.

Also, for anyone that uses Marcus Cinemas, they have a deal going through the weekend where you get $15 for buying a $50 gift card.  Not hard to use up between this and Spidey 3 on the horizon.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 6, 2021, 07:14 PM »
Read that Charlie Cox will be officially brought into the MCU as Daredevil.  That to me is exciting news.  Hopefully we get the rest of the crew.  Maybe a tie in with Hawkeye?

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: December 6, 2021, 10:00 PM »
Oh man! That's really exciting. I really hope an announcement about Kingpin / Vincent D'Onofrio isn't far behind...
"This is the way."