Author Topic: 2021 HasLab - Black Series Rancor  (Read 14466 times)

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 HasLab Black Series Rancor
« Reply #255 on: December 7, 2021, 05:59 PM »
Hell, I don't even want Hasbro to do a Star Wars Haslab project every year....I'd prefer a little space in between them...at least let me get one in my collection before offering another!

This, I feel is another reason for the set-up-for-failure and I wouldn't even limit it to just Star Wars.  There were 3 Haslab projects dropped at the same time (at the con) and as some have mentioned, some SW fans are also Ghostbusters and Joe fans. If you are a fan of all 3 and backed them (with Rancor also successful) that's almost $1,000 at one time.  I get the excitement of revealing the new large projects, but perhaps it would have been better to spread them out over the year.  I think it'd be easier to get customers to spend a Grand if it's spaced out over the year/year and a half than to ask for it straight away.  Plus, as some have mentioned, it might be easier to buy into another Haslab project if you have already received the one you're previously waiting on.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 7, 2021, 06:24 PM »
I can only speak for myself but scale absolutely was a huge factor and why I didn't ever plan to back the Rancor and I love the BS line. So ignorant to say that's everyone's belief may be true but it at least cost then my SW money. I think it's a fair part of the argument

I'm not saying every SW collector would buy it regardless of scale, I'm saying it would have funded if the promotion and costs and incentives were all in line with the 3.75" projects that have succeeded.  Some people buy both scales, some buy only one of the other, so obviously it impacts sales from that perspective.  I'm not sure what the count is on number of collectors who purchase each line, but the BS market is clearly big enough to support a Haslab project if its done right.

Also not sure that I buy the argument that if they didn't offer a 6" Rancor, we would have had a different offer in the 3.75" scale for Star Wars.  Myabe it would have just been the Striker and Ghostbusters Pack and that's it.  I work for a manufacturer and our releases of Product Line A have no real bearing on releases of Product Line B.  If we could launch a new product in each that would be great, but we don't fund one line at the expense of another.

Steve - I do think having multiple projects at once is a factor, as is not having delivered the Crest before you start asking for money for another big backer project.  I'm sure the Rancor's failure has some people shifting funds to back the Skystriker now.  I know I'm considering it...
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 7, 2021, 06:25 PM »
I would wager this is a display scene issue over a scale issue. Plus the pricing issues...

The barge, Unicron, the Razorcrest, the Sentinel, Galactus, and the Sky Striker all lend themselves to big display scenes with a lot of dynamic visuals. I will always love rancors in star wars, and even though they exist outside of Jabba's palace the story of a rancor is limited to the interaction with Oola, Luke, a Gammorrean and Mallakilli. I don't really have a desire to display a rancor with tons of characters around it the way I might with the Barge, Unicron, Galactus or a Sentinel. Those items all feel like a centerpiece to me in the way a rancor does not.

Plus I have had a rancor since 1984. I love my old school rancor, but the beast itself as a concept isn't a grail item in the way these other haslab projects are.
Macklunkey!

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #258 on: December 9, 2021, 09:15 AM »
Totally agree. The Sail Barge and Razor Crest are as much display environments as they are vehicles. I guess the Sentinel and Galactus would qualify for that too, since they're usually involved in a big team battle.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #259 on: December 9, 2021, 09:53 AM »
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that Hasbro really shot themselves in the foot over this one.  They made so many mistakes in this campaign and it still almost made it into production.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 9, 2021, 01:51 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I'm coming to the conclusion that Hasbro really shot themselves in the foot over this one.  They made so many mistakes in this campaign and it still almost made it into production.

I saw an interesting post on Facebook today about the backer numbers for various Haslab projects.  Of note, the Razorcrest had the same $350 price point as the Rancor, but the minimum backer limit was set to just 6,000.  Any theories on why the Rancor had a 50% increase despite seemingly being further along than the Crest?  I would assume similar or better profit margins given all the extras the Crest comes with in comparison. 
 ???
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #261 on: December 9, 2021, 02:13 PM »
I saw an interesting post on Facebook today about the backer numbers for various Haslab projects.  Of note, the Razorcrest had the same $350 price point as the Rancor, but the minimum backer limit was set to just 6,000.  Any theories on why the Rancor had a 50% increase despite seemingly being further along than the Crest?  I would assume similar or better profit margins given all the extras the Crest comes with in comparison. 
 ???

I think they misinterpreted the overwhelming success of the Razor Crest (something that caught them completely by surprise) and thought that a Black Series Rancor would do just as well if not better.  Then they made two of the four stretch goals make no sense to the product and there was a fan backlash that was not overcome in the end.

Just my opinion, but I think TVC world building items and/or large extremely detailed ships are better haslab projects that Giant creatures with little screen time.  It also helps if they've been blown up.   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 9, 2021, 02:26 PM »
 ???

What was the theory on Facebook?

I'm assuming the development costs were higher for the Rancor and that they needed a bigger investment to get their return.  It would be sad if they just got greedy and created a higher threshold just to drive higher profits.  They could have created more momentum and FOMO if the threshold was lower (and it had better unlocks to drive it higher).

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #263 on: December 9, 2021, 03:10 PM »
Any theories on why the Rancor had a 50% increase despite seemingly being further along than the Crest?  I would assume similar or better profit margins given all the extras the Crest comes with in comparison. 
 ???

I'm assuming the development costs were higher for the Rancor and that they needed a bigger investment to get their return.  It would be sad if they just got greedy and created a higher threshold just to drive higher profits.  They could have created more momentum and FOMO if the threshold was lower (and it had better unlocks to drive it higher).

I wonder how much can be attributed to shipping cost.  The shipping cost is/was factored into the pricing since it has "free" shipping.  I have heard that the shipping for Razor Crest is coming in WAY higher than they originally projected/charged because they have had to air freight some into the US and then others have been rerouted from Long Beach, CA to Savannah, GA port of entry to get them off the boats.  I wonder if that played a role?

It also helps if they've been blown up.   :D

Hmmm.... let's look at the data for Star Wars:

Does it get blown up?
YES - HasLab success  :)
NO - HasLab fail :(

Is it 3.75" scale?

So... 3.75" Death Star playset is an obvious choice for the next HasLab then...   ;D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 9, 2021, 03:58 PM »
Hmmm.... let's look at the data for Star Wars:

Does it get blown up?

Is it 3.75" scale?

So... 3.75" Death Star playset is an obvious choice for the next HasLab then...   ;D

I like the logic!

Online Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 9, 2021, 04:23 PM »
Death Star... Ewok Village... Mos Eisley... Jabba's Palace... Echo Base...

I do think it's time to try a massive, robust play set and see how it goes.  If they hit a home run with one of those the others will be easy to get made over time.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 9, 2021, 06:03 PM »
I’m disappointed for those that wanted/backed this, but the team really bungled this one too. I have been all in on OT Black Series up to this point, but I was passing as well. For me it was the timing (right before Christmas, plus personally we just had to replace our water heater and pay for our daughter’s club bball), plus it seemed too pricey for what it is.

I know it is not remotely the same articulation and detail wise, but I picked up one of those “Super Colossal” T-Rex back when they hit around $36 a couple Christmases ago, which is huge and fun. I think their regular price was about $50. I’d rather see the Rancor land somewhere in between those two even if it sacrifices some articulation or detail. Bottom line is, I don’t know where I would put it anyways.

Having three at the same time was dumb too. Honestly I was interested in all three, but had to pass on all unfortunately. I’m really regretting not figuring out a way to back the Skystriker, but I thought with all the expenses it was the responsible thing to do.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 10, 2021, 01:12 AM »
Any theories on why the Rancor had a 50% increase despite seemingly being further along than the Crest?  I would assume similar or better profit margins given all the extras the Crest comes with in comparison. 
 ???

I wonder how much can be attributed to shipping cost.  The shipping cost is/was factored into the pricing since it has "free" shipping.  I have heard that the shipping for Razor Crest is coming in WAY higher than they originally projected/charged because they have had to air freight some into the US and then others have been rerouted from Long Beach, CA to Savannah, GA port of entry to get them off the boats.  I wonder if that played a role?

It's a fair point and I do think shipping costs have probably increased significantly with the backlog of distribution in the U.S. right now.  That said, the Crest is probably shipping out at an all time shipping high, while there's reason to assume shipping costs would come back down by the time the Rancor would ship.  I think the Rancor also has a smaller profile and could fit in a smaller box.  Were they trying to get more money out of it to offset higher shipping costs on the Crest?  Maybe, but then that's added reason to keep the minimum low and at least get some profit out of this versus nothing.  It also looked to me like the Rancor was much further along in its development versus the Crest, but I don't know how much of the cost goes into design/overhead if any. 

I didn't see any theories on FB - someone just pointed out the 50% increase in backers and thought it was odd.  People were already shocked at the Rancor's $350 price point (myself included), so requiring an added 3,000 backers over the Crest to get it made feels like they were just being greedy.  There's probably some other rationale, but I haven't come up with a good one yet.  If you can make the Crest happen at $2.1 MM, I'm bewildered as to why you can't make the Rancor for less than $3.15 MM.  Maybe they were planning to ship each box individually with a private jet.