Author Topic: The Book of Boba Fett (SPOILERS possible)  (Read 15336 times)

Offline I Am Sith

• Jedi Apprentice
  • 1/6 the Sith I used to be...
    • View Profile
Re: The Book of Boba Fett
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2022, 01:59 PM »
It didn't dawn on me until this morning that my issue with the show is that I'm watching "Spy Kids" set in the SW Universe.  I had to sit through years of those awful movies when my boys were younger.  Once I rehashed the palace fight and chase scenes with the Vespa crew and wondered why I thought they were so bad did I realize it's because of RR's Spy Kids torture I endured all those years ago.  Episode 1's sand monster, the kid with the bionic leg, the poorly executed speeder chase, bad effects, poor attempts at humor, it all stems from RR.  I half expect both of the main characters from those movies to make cameos in the last few episodes.
The 60mm Sith Lord - All the hate and anger you've come to expect, now in a new conveniently sized package!

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2022, 10:04 PM »
That’s a great summation of all of it Justin.  I really want to love this show but I can’t disagree with a single word of what you wrote.  I hope they make a hard turn this season, and if not, next.

Offline Dave

• Jedi Master
  • Never Trust a Big Butt and a Smile - BBD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 15, 2022, 12:25 AM »
I get it that this isn't going to be a Game of Thrones style show with no mercy on Disney+, but Boba is so soft and its hard to understand why he even cares to be a crime boss when it seems he's been kicking ass across the galaxy his whole life.

I just wonder if this is part of a larger story arc (The Mandalorin, Rangers of the New Republic, etc.) where The Mandalorian and others are going to need a powerful, shady character to rely on in their story lines and that is what's driving this plot.  In and of itself this story has been pretty dumb so far.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 15, 2022, 09:54 AM »
I just wonder if this is part of a larger story arc (The Mandalorin, Rangers of the New Republic, etc.) where The Mandalorian and others are going to need a powerful, shady character to rely on in their story lines and that is what's driving this plot.  In and of itself this story has been pretty dumb so far.

Well, except the last half of Mandalorian Season 2 already established Boba as a potential ally going forward. All this storyline has done for me is make me question Boba's usefulness in the future, because he has proven to be a pretty nonsensical character thus far.

The only way this show redeems itself for me is if Boba has acted like a bumbling idiot on purpose to draw out the Pykes so he can exact his revenge. And even if that is the eventual outcome of what is going on, I still don't trust this show as executed thus far to show the viewer that that has happened. He will simply stop walking around without his helmet while talking to everyone and start coldly killing again with us expected to "get it."

I don't think they could pull off a Verbal Kint/Keyser Soze style realization, even though that would be the only way I could reconcile any of this nonsense as being a piece of consistent storytelling.

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2022, 01:03 PM »
I had a glimmer of hope early on when the water grifter guy mentioned that a gang inn Mos Espa was enhancing themselves. Maybe that would lead to Dengar's upgrades....
nope.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Rothgar_Deng
Macklunkey!

Offline Qui-Gon Jim

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2022, 08:01 AM »
I've seen a good deal of people who have taken issue with the speeder chase.  And I have to wonder if the show may have run into some of the limitations of the production techniques that they've been using.  Can the Volume (the virtual projected set) deal with or capture a sense of speed for something like a chase scene?  Could there be a speed limit where the background images blur too much to capture it well in camera?

Likewise, if there's an actual set, how much of a budget does a show like this have to build a practical set that can be used for a chase scene?
My Thoughts exactly.  I think the designs would have been better received if they were better executed.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Book of Boba Fett (Spoilers)
« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2022, 01:10 PM »
Lots to unpack in today's episode!  I'll refrain from commenting for now, but it's GOOD!!!
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2022, 06:48 PM »
Really enjoyed this week's episode.

If you think they changed the name of Slave 1 in this episode, punch yourself in the face.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2022, 10:19 PM »
I could talk about what went wrong in the storytelling for me this week, but I am kind of over it.

I think this show just is not aimed at me, and I am okay with that.

Offline JediJman

• Jedi Guardian
  • I don't get drunk, I get awesome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2022, 09:24 AM »
I really liked this last episode.  It's not perfect, but they did a good job filling in the back story and answered a lot of questions I had on Fennic and Boba's plans/motives.  I loved seeing the "Firespray Gunship" back in action and the shot of it bearing down on the speeder bikes was awesome! 

On a side note, did anyone else see EV-9D9's arm fall off when he went down?  Was that a nod to the Kenner figure always having his arm fall off or am I just reading too much into things?  While I don't always love the plot or editing for this show, I do really appreciate the careful mapping to past SW media.  The Bantha sounds match the old Galactic Battlegrounds bantha sounds from my gaming days, that EV-9D9 sounded just like the original, the seismic bomb from Slav...er Firespray Gunship, etc.

Hoping we get more episodes like this through the rest of the series.  Anyone know how many episodes we're getting?
Climbed a mountain & never came back. I will not quit & I always fight back 
From this moment for all my life. What could I say? Was born to be this way. And what could I say?  Just livin' for today

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2022, 09:59 AM »
No one has renamed Slave 1.  If you think that, watch the scene again.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2022, 10:46 AM »
Hoping we get more episodes like this through the rest of the series.  Anyone know how many episodes we're getting?

6 whole episodes.  2 left in the series.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2022, 11:15 AM »

SW.com: a seven-episode Original Series.  Yesterday was the midway point. 3 left.

I liked yesterday's episode quite a bit.  Going to be really interesting to see who they bring in as the hired help...  so many potential cameos coming. :P
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2022, 11:22 AM »
Yeah, 7.  Not 6.  :-[

Edit:  I do have a qualm about the use of a seismic charge in such close proximity.... but I need to remember to suspend my disbelief!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 11:26 AM by P-Siddy »

Offline StBrianOfMinneapolis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Biggs was right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2022, 11:53 AM »
Yeah, 7.  Not 6.  :-[

Edit:  I do have a qualm about the use of a seismic charge in such close proximity.... but I need to remember to suspend my disbelief!

Yeah, I would have thought that would have destroyed the ship. Also, have repulsorlifts always worked in all directions? Maybe they have, but it seemed a little weird for the ship to be hanging upside down from the thrusters.

Fun over all though. I might just pretend episode 3 never happened. 

Also Thundercat was the cyber mod doctor. An odd but fun choice.
Macklunkey!