Author Topic: The Celebration V Speculation Thread  (Read 43895 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
The Celebration V Speculation Thread
« on: March 26, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Looks like rumors are aleady popping up...  from the folks at StarWarsActionNews and Rebelscum:

SWAN reports: Celebration V is very likely in 09, with Chicago the frontrunner as the venue.

Sansweet: We are hoping to do a Celebration in the U.S. next year, and we’ll be looking at Midwest locations like Chicago as well as some further east.

Speaking as a person who lives within driving distance of Chicago, that would work just fine for me. :D
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: The Celebration V Speculation Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 01:17 PM »
How's about Denver again? That'd be nice. :P

We have a nice new convention center downtown, and the weather is normally much better than it was last time.

Seriously though, I'd be ok with Chicago or Indy. San Diego would be awesome if they went west coast again. I'm going to try to go again no mater where it is. Denver obviously being my first choice. ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 02:35 PM »
Interesting stuff...

I've driven to Chicago myself in the past and airfare ain't too shabby there for me either...  Might be a fun trip for me as well. ;)  Could it be the whole gang could make it? 

Scum's saying they're looking further east as well, which wouldn't exactly bug me! :P
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 07:56 PM »
How's about Denver again? That'd be nice. :P

We have a nice new convention center downtown, and the weather is normally much better than it was last time.

Seriously though, I'd be ok with Chicago or Indy. San Diego would be awesome if they went west coast again. I'm going to try to go again no mater where it is. Denver obviously being my first choice. ;)

I agree...Denver would be awesome.  Colorado Springs would be better!   :D
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 04:52 PM »
"looking further east..."

*cough*Pittsburgh*cough*

;D
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 09:43 PM »
"looking further east..."

*cough*Pittsburgh*cough*

;D

Oh yeah, like that's an improvement from downtown LA.  bah dum tsshhh.  :P

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Personally I would pick San Diego or Orlando. It's easier for alot of families to go when there are other family attractions that are near.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 02:51 AM »

Above...  Los Angeles.

Pittsburgh...

Clearly you don't travel Canucklehead.  >:(

Actually I guess Bill Cable has mailed Sansweet already about Pittsburgh... 

This is our NEW convention center...

Pretty nifty building.  You actually drive under it sort of on the street that runs between the Allegheny and the center.  It's very unique.

I think you just can't handle being so close to me that you'd never want to leave...  bitch.  If you're LUCKY, I'd be willing to tell you where Primanti's is at.  Otherwise you're on your own to figure out how to eat fries and slaw on your sandwiches, my northern friend.

As far as where the con is... 

I'm more into it being where it's located for the most fans to have a chance to get to it...  That places it somewhere in the middle for the most part for me.  Chicago would be fine by me as I hear their centers are pretty big and it'd be a good place to have a show with lots to do after the show's over in the evenings...  Unless they run them 24 hours again like before.

Pittsburgh's not too far east that a lot of people in the western states couldn't get here...  I think the things prohibiting Pitt from getting it are the number of hotels close to the con center, and public transportation.  Downtown's got stuff to do though at least and getting around our city's not difficult by any means.  Traffic's nothing compared to other cities...

Orlando and SD are ok but SD already gets SDCC so I'm not too geeked on them getting a SW specific show too.  Personally I'd rather go to SD to see SDCC sometime I can...  Orlando's nice for all the parks they have, but are people really going to a convention for a week or whatever to go to the theme parks too?  I think that'd take away from the convention which is probably the LAST thing LFL would want happening...  I think that's partly why Vegas doesn't get the con actually...  Too many distractions from the show.

Chicago's within driving distance for me...  i'm hopefully going if it's there.  Pittsburgh is more a pipe dream for me I think, but our center is new, it's about the size of the LA one I think (I think someone told me that), and it's in a city I think people would find friendlier.  There's other things I think would impact us getting it though, personally.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 03:05 AM by Jesse James »

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2008, 06:03 PM »
Pittsburgh would be cool- Most of my relatives live up there, and I'd be nice for the east coast to get some good cons.

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 11:44 PM »
I'd be down with Pittsburgh actually. I could check out Heinz Field and Monroeville Mall.  ;D I forgot name of the Farmer's Market but there's a fish place there that has killer fish sandwiches.
I remember my dream now.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 02:01 AM »
Wholey Fish...  It's in between downtown and the Strip District... 

I'm not counting on Pitt personally, regardless of how cool it would be for me personally to have so many people coming to my home town for a Star Wars convention...  My head would inevitably explode trying to hang out with with everyone here I think...

Chicago's a great town and where I think it'll be...  I had a blast there when I've been out that way, so it should be fun if it's there.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 02:21 AM »
Chicago and Denver would both be fine with me, direct flights to both cities out of here. 

The Con is secondary to me relative to the people that are going, that's what makes my decision.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2008, 10:02 PM »
Well, purely selfishly I hope it's in Chicago since that's within easy driving distance of MN, not to mention O'Hare is connected with Minneapolis-St. Paul by many, many direct flights.

But either way I really hope to make it happen. I missed 4, and as of 3 I hadn't been on here long enough to really know anybody to hang out with.

I just hope the timing works out; if they stick to the pattern it will be during my finals week or right around graduation weekend ... and it would really blow chunks to miss this con for some stoopid commencement ceremony. ;)
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 1, 2008, 05:22 AM »
Wholey Fish...  It's in between downtown and the Strip District... 

That's the place!  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #14 on: April 2, 2008, 01:33 PM »
How about New York, seems to make the most sense to me.
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"